Fur coat and no knickers

jaxw17

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And as a pedant, are we talking real tins here, or the usual plastic tubs?

I have not seen the tins around for ages, they are usually around 600g plastic tubs, although sometimes we get the bigger plastic tubs which have 850g, including wrappers of course. We have only just finished the two tubs we got for Halloween when the kids were on half term plus the weather was bad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have not seen the tins around for ages, they are usually around 600g plastic tubs, although sometimes we get the bigger plastic tubs which have 850g, including wrappers of course. We have only just finished the two tubs we got for Halloween when the kids were on half term plus the weather was bad.

And that’s your excuse 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We were left with 2 bags of heroes from Halloween. All gone now, so a replacement ' tin ' started our Christmas cupboard off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I was wondering that, too! 😂

As the OP who started the thread 11 pages ago seems to have vanished, I guess the thread drift is understandable. Chocolate is a better subject anyway.🍬🍰

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/19/2023 at 8:29 AM, Peanut006 said:

We have already eaten a tin of Quality Street!!! You have to taste them don’t you to make sure they taste the same as last year before you buy some for Xmas?

Michelle

Remember my Mum buying Quality Street for Christams. They were actually tins and about four times the amount you get now and maybe it's me but they just don't taste as good. Maybe they should just call them Street now and drop the Quality bit. Cadbury's chocolate isn't as good since it was taken over either. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Remember my Mum buying Quality Street for Christams. They were actually tins and about four times the amount you get now and maybe it's me but they just don't taste as good. Maybe they should just call them Street now and drop the Quality bit. Cadbury's chocolate isn't as good since it was taken over either. 

Same with all chocolates these days. A fraction of the volume and not as good quality. Tins (or plastic tubs) seem to have around a third of the chocolates they had, but now with wrappers that fill the space. Boxes of chocolates just as bad. The plastic trays used to be full of chocolates. Now more plastic space between them than chocolates. Bars have got smaller and smaller, with ‘chunks’ that allow loads of air between each piece. Worst example is Terry’s Chocolate orange. Used to be completely solid, now more air than chocolate. Not that I’m obsessed about these things you understand 🤣 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Same with all chocolates these days. A fraction of the volume and not as good quality. Tins (or plastic tubs) seem to have around a third of the chocolates they had, but now with wrappers that fill the space. Boxes of chocolates just as bad. The plastic trays used to be full of chocolates. Now more plastic space between them than chocolates. Bars have got smaller and smaller, with ‘chunks’ that allow loads of air between each piece. Worst example is Terry’s Chocolate orange. Used to be completely solid, now more air than chocolate. Not that I’m obsessed about these things you understand 🤣 

Eeee bagum, them wert days, waggon wheels fitted waggons

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Eeee bagum, them wert days, waggon wheels fitted waggons

What comes across to me is the stupidity of Government where they ban you buying these extra large Mars Bars. What's stopping someone buying two smaller one's and eating both of them. Mind you, the normal size bars ain't as big as they used to be. Remember when I went into a local shop and got 8 chews for a penny. Liquorice pipes, jamborie bags, flying sauces, nips, pineapple junks and cola chunks, black jacks, square pieces of bibble gum with a football card, sweet cigarettes,fruit salad etc, etc. No wonder I have a mouth full of fillings. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Bring back Thorntons I say. 

The pre-Ferrero days, or before they overexpanded and started the pile it high approach?

Being southerners we didn’t discover them until the mid 70s when we came across a shop in Worcester on holiday. Thornton’s Continental - magic in a box to two young people who’d never heard of Thornton’s.

Giffard Hotel, on a THF Touring Bargain Break, most of the box gone that night, in bed, supply replenished the following morning before we moved on to the next place.