Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

23 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Perhaps your IP location isn’t considered close enough to a port HAL sails from?

I’m in SoCal and can only see San Diego and Vancouver.

Woops- scratch that. Scrolling down also shows FLL. 

that is probably the problem as right now i am in thailand and unless i use a vpn a lot of sites block me ...

43 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Perhaps your IP location isn’t considered close enough to a port HAL sails from?

I’m in SoCal and can only see San Diego and Vancouver.

Woops- scratch that. Scrolling down also shows FLL. 

I'm in Michigan right now and can see all ports offered

Edited by BermudaBound2014

In my opinion, the new standby program will lead to fewer last minute sales. If HAL has a 'reserve' of people willing to pay the standby rate, then there will be less need to offer late deals to the general public to fill the ship. The effect will be to increase revenue per sailing, which is the goal of the standby program.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:15 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

The cynic in me wonders how long it will be before someone comes on here whining that they couldn’t go and HAL kept their money while not disclosing that they chose not to go, or HAL sold them a cruise and then turned them away, when it was one of these last minute deals. 

The over/under is 3 weeks after the program starts.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder what they'll charge for HIA. Don't they claim it's worth $100 when they offer it as an add-on for $50 which they say is "50% off" after you have booked a cruise? 

It's always offered for the $55 per day (it used to be $50 but they just raised it).  I assume it would be offered on these standby offers too but who knows? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

It's always offered for the $55 per day (it used to be $50 but they just raised it).  I assume it would be offered on these standby offers too but who knows? 

HIA is offered with most all, if not all fare codes. 

Bear in mind that the value of the shore excursion credit is likely to be less if you add HIA at the last minute.

Edited by POA1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:15 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

The cynic in me wonders how long it will be before someone comes on here whining that they couldn’t go and HAL kept their money while not disclosing that they chose not to go, or HAL sold them a cruise and then turned them away, when it was one of these last minute deals. 

Or they were assigned a room under the music venues and they didn’t like it.  Or they always sail in Neptune suites but were assigned an ocean view 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On my first read of the offer I assumed it was $49PP per day but in re-reading it I think they are offering it for $49 per cabin (for up to 4 passengers in a cabin) as long as everyone pays the taxes and port fees.  If anyone has been able to successfully sign up for one of these maybe they can confirm whether it is $49/Day PP or per cabin?

Edited by Real NHDOC

13 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

On my first read of the offer I assumed it was $49PP per day but in re-reading it I think they are offering it for $49 per cabin (for up to 4 passengers in a cabin) as long as everyone pays the taxes and port fees.  If anyone has been able to successfully sign up for one of these maybe they can confirm whether it is $49/Day PP or per cabin?

That would be a game changer.  

It's per day. It states it in 3 places.

Join our Standby List! For $49 a day, you can enjoy extraordinary value on an unforgettable cruise vacation this year.* 

will be required to make full payment on the Cruise’s reduced cruise fare of $49 per day (for first two guests in a stateroom) at the time you are placed on the Cruise’s standby list.

$49 per day fare amount

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, seaoma said:

It's per day. It states it in 3 places.

Join our Standby List! For $49 a day, you can enjoy extraordinary value on an unforgettable cruise vacation this year.* 

will be required to make full payment on the Cruise’s reduced cruise fare of $49 per day (for first two guests in a stateroom) at the time you are placed on the Cruise’s standby list.

$49 per day fare amount

The debate is not  the "per day",

but , is it ..."per person" or ..."per cabin" ... per day.

I believe per person as "fares" are typically per person not per cabin.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

The debate is not  the "per day",

but , is it ..."per person" or ..."per cabin" ... per day.

I believe per person as "fares" are typically per person not per cabin.

Gotcha. I agree with you that it is per person. 

• Like 2

I think it's per person also due to the language that states $49 is for the first two people in the cabin with the 3rd and 4th free. 

BUT...... I wonder if a HUCA would produce different results?

I've been dealing with HAL this week to get the free gratuities applied to a booking which caused some other challenges. It's not the challenges that bug me, it's that every time I HUCA I get a different answer depending on whom I speak with.

In my experience, consistency is becoming a serious issue with HAL. I also have a Carnival and NCL booking coming up in January and both of those bookings have been seamless comparatively. With HAL, you just never know what the answer is going to be. Example, some people were able to get AARP OBC applied to already booked cruises while others weren't. On our roll call right now there is a person who was told she MUST use stockperks to obtain SOBC while another person stated she bypassed Stockperks and went right thru HAL the old fashioned way just a few days ago. There appears to be some inconsistencies in what counts for additional mariner days and don't even get me started with the website. 

HAL offers some great itineraries, but without that I'm not sure this company has any game left. 

On 11/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, Micetro said:

Hi Folks,

I just called the number listed (1-888-425-9477) which turned out to be group sales. The agent had no idea what I was talking about and asked where I'd seen the promotion. He could not put me on a standby list and could only offer the going rate (in fact the rate he quoted me was much higher than what I'd seen on the website a few minutes before calling-and it did not include HIA). Not sure if the word hasn't gotten out to all the agents or if this program doesn't actually exist (or perhaps is only available to certain people)?

Did the same thing this morning and after 20 minutes finally got someone who could talk to someone who knew something or something like that! 😳

Bottomline was no pre booking shore excursions or specialty restaurants until you are confirmed less than seven days prior to sailing; assuming the person I talked to knew.

• Like 1

I can confirm after a call to that number today (the group sales office) that the price is $49 PP/Day for the standby offer.  I did mention to them they could make that clearer in the offer since nowhere does it say it's per person and where is says $49 per day (for first two guests in a stateroom) could easily be interpreted to mean it's $49 for both not each. 

Like everything they do, it's not well thought out and unclear.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I booked standby for end of March for three people in one cabin.  I was charged $343 for the first and second passenger, and $215 port fees, and taxes for each passenger for a total of $1,331.

Ironically, I booked the same ship for a February cruise (and same number of days) for less money.  It was a "welcome back past cruisers" promotion $149 for inside cabin per person, $199 ocean view, and $299 for a balcony.

8 hours ago, Reading_on_Promenade said:

I wonder if there is a single supplement for these, or is it $49 for a single to stay in the cabin.

Same.  Although I read above where HAL has said “per person”, the unwritten caveat is usually “as long as there are two people in the cabin”. 

🙄

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But by day 8 (you mean 8 days before sailing, yes?), there could be a lot of people in line ahead of you. 

Are you assuming that HAL would award these wait-listed $49/pp cabins on a first-come first-served basis? More likely HAL would choose passengers who are likely to spend the most onboard, based on factors like previous spend, gratuities, etc., and maybe even personal info like credit line, address, age, etc. They probably have algorithms for all this. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Are you assuming that HAL would award these wait-listed $49/pp cabins on a first-come first-served basis? More likely HAL would choose passengers who are likely to spend the most onboard, based on factors like previous spend, gratuities, etc., and maybe even personal info like credit line, address, age, etc. They probably have algorithms for all this. 

Doubt it. HAL doesn't seem to care a bit about loyalty given multiple data points here. They seem far too disorganized to keep track of things like gratuities. Personal info maybe but I'm going with first come first serve but I suppose time will tell. 

• Like 4