NCL's false advertising (-40/50%)

MiniJeffrey

I'm getting a bit frustrated at NCL's marketing policies, which are with no doubt infractions to several false advertising laws in EU. Their -40, -50% promotions that are always "ending soon" have actually never ever ended.

They are also just faking their "normal" prices by adding "discounts" to bring the new price to what were normal prices before they started doing this trick precovid. -40% off on a falsely inflated price briging the real discount to more or less -0% comparing to precovid prices (adjusted for inflation in the sector).

Shameful practices.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

If this frustrates you then you should probably consider no longer cruising.  It’s standard practice with all the big cruise lines.  They all have sales right now with countdowns and once the countdown ends, either the sale gets extended or it changes but the pricing stays the same.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

If this frustrates you then you should probably consider no longer cruising.  It’s standard practice with all the big cruise lines.  They all have sales right now with countdowns and once the countdown ends, either the sale gets extended or it changes but the pricing stays the same.  

Or just not looking at these offers. I just search the website for current prices when I need to book a cruise. Any games that NCL play are totally irrelevant.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

I'm getting a bit frustrated at NCL's marketing policies, which are with no doubt infractions to several false advertising laws in EU. Their -40, -50% promotions that are always "ending soon" have actually never ever ended.

They are also just faking their "normal" prices by adding "discounts" to bring the new price to what were normal prices before they started doing this trick precovid. -40% off on a falsely inflated price briging the real discount to more or less -0% comparing to precovid prices (adjusted for inflation in the sector).

Shameful practices.

I am not an expert but if you feel there is a legal infringement, report it as that is the only way things will change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we all know how all the cruise lines’ marketing jargon work.  Compare pricing on different cruises and see which appeal to you the most.  If you’re steered to a Cruiseline by their marketing, then it’s worked.  They got you to their site.

If you want to sue them, certainly your prerogative.  Seems everyone is “sue happy” these days, anyway.  They’ll sue for anything it seems.

I list this along with the people who sue McDonalds because their coffee was too hot.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

Shameful practices.

NCL, as other cruise lines as well, employ many, many lawyers.  These lawyers review all marketing materials for legal compliance.  Consequently, you will  have a very difficult time proving false advertising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

NCL, as other cruise lines as well, employ many, many lawyers.  These lawyers review all marketing materials for legal compliance.  Consequently, you will  have a very difficult time proving false advertising.

True. If the way NCL advertises it's product, look at other companies. I just make sure the product offered is within the price range I'm happy with and go for it.  It has been the product which I like and that's unlikely to change enough for me to look elsewhere, at least for now. 

27 minutes ago, farringtonb said:

I am not an expert but if you feel there is a legal infringement, report it as that is the only way things will change

It’s definitely legal and common in the US, put an item from kohls in an online shopping cart and watch the sales change but never the actual price of the item. Laws in Europe are different.

4 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

Shameful practices.

Nothing shameful at all. 

As you immediate recognize in your first sentence,,, it's called "marketing". If you are frustrated with NCL, then don't sail on NCL. But the grass is not greener on the other side... all cruise lines use similar "marketing". 

If you are trying to compare current prices,,, for anything,,, to something 3 years ago pre-covid, you are going to find that things are more expensive. In your country, is there anything that costs the same or less than it did 3 years ago? Why should a cruise line not be more expensive? Why should a cruise line not try to make up the losses of being unfairly singled out and shutdown for a protracted period,,, something no other travel industry business was subjected to? 

You read posts here on Cruise Critic all the time about people who saved money by re-booking after a new "sale sale sale" starts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

He's simply frustrated not going insane over it. The "if you don't like it, don't cruise" response is way over used! :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't pay attention to amazon prices on stuff then lol..  When you see something 75% off then the next day the non-sale price is cheaper than the 75% off price..  Or at places when you see a sale price, but peel that sticker off and see the price before was cheaper.. Nothing to see here.. Move along.. All you can do is if it's something you want, and it's a final price that is within your budget.. Then buy it.. Keep an eye out and if the price goes down and you can get a refund / adjustment, do that.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Only if you put them between your thighs (like the woman did with her coffee) and are burned.

Like putting hot coffee in your lap while in your car and want to blame someone else because it was hot coffee and you burned yourself.  

Going to be a matter of time before someone sues because tarter sauce dripped on their lap while trying to eat their fish sandwich!

xx% off any fare on any cruise on any ship on any cruise line is off “published rates”. Published rates are nothing more than a fare they use to offer xx% off for their sales.

Car sales ads are similar.  Invoice pricing suggests a price that the dealership pays for the car from the manufacturer.  In truth, it’s not even close.

Knowing this makes you a savvy shopper.  Only way to know that is to look at the fares, not the ads!

58 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

xx% off any fare on any cruise on any ship on any cruise line is off “published rates”. Published rates are nothing more than a fare they use to offer xx% off for their sales.

Car sales ads are similar.  Invoice pricing suggests a price that the dealership pays for the car from the manufacturer.  In truth, it’s not even close.

The “published rates” are those in those fancy brochures they mail you.

I had a friend who like IRCC Saturns because of their 'no-haggle' pricing.  

He said shopping for a Saturn was fantastic, the price was right on the sticker in the window.

He looked shocked when I told him he could go to any car dealership in town and they would sell him a car for the price on the window sticker.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, trivimp said:

Tell me you didn't bother to learn the details of the McDonald's coffee lawsuit without saying you didn't bother to learn the details of the McDonald's coffee lawsuit.   

There are some people who aren't worth the effort to educate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, trivimp said:

Tell me you didn't bother to learn the details of the McDonald's coffee lawsuit without saying you didn't bother to learn the details of the McDonald's coffee lawsuit.   

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Here’s a video for those who don’t like to read 

13 minutes ago, sansroof said:

There are some people who aren't worth the effort to educate.

There are two different hot coffee lawsuits.

• Like 2