Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

On 12/9/2023 at 7:44 AM, island lady said:

I used to do that...but have to leave it on for the caretaker.  He waters our outside plants, and makes sure the toilets get flushed once a week.  I do turn off the washer hoses when we leave though.  

I never went on such a long trip. Why is it necessary to flush toilets once a week?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I never went on such a long trip. Why is it necessary to flush toilets once a week?

Because water will evaporate and leave a nasty ring as it does so.  Also, running water keeps the sewer smell away.  When water isn't run/toilets flushed, everything dries out and smells. 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

If a toilet goes long enough without flushing eventually the water in the bowl, not the tank, will become depleted. When there is no water in the bowl sewer gasses can come up through the piping. The same thing can happen with drains in sinks and it stinks. This is why their drainage has traps under them and not a straight shot out of your house. The water in the trap blocks the gasses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We are Snowbirds.  When we are closing our Condo for 7 months to head back North, we turn off the water, put bleach in our toilets, and cover the toilet bowl with plastic wrap.  No need to flush toilets, water remains in our toilets.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I guess in hindsight then  they shouldn't have said then 28 different menu's. Little misleading.

Do you have completely different meals at home all month long, or do you repeat dishes?

Do you think that once, JUST ONCE, you could restrain yourself from making a negative post?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Do you have completely different meals at home all month long, or do you repeat dishes?

Do you think that once, JUST ONCE, you could restrain yourself from making a negative post?

sorry, if you took my comment the wrong way. Not sure why Royal would give out that info about 28 different menus. Might have been best to not even  mention anything about  the menu's.

Now I'm even sorry I even said earlier the menu's for the first 14 days were on Royal's app.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Compliments of the Chef 👩🏻‍🍳 

The 4 Quarters and a nice check list for the PAX

From someone onboard, just said to me

”They need one of these for the drinks”

I know a lot of 🐾 will know who I mean 

Nancy 

Twenty-seven of those for me without being on this cruise, but, I sure wouldn't have minded the repeats while exploring the new 38 places.  Maybe next time.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

When we were snowbirds in FL, I would start with a clean toilet, add a bit of bleach, cover it with plastic and leave.  We came back every 3 months and it looked the same as when we left.

all the other drains in the house I closed to keep water in them. Never had a problem 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Compliments of the Chef 👩🏻‍🍳 

The 4 Quarters and a nice check list for the PAX

From someone onboard, just said to me

”They need one of these for the drinks”

I know a lot of 🐾 will know who I mean 

IMG_3971.jpeg.2346c016e374f9ef424ee56d8819a9cd.jpeg

Nancy 

Oddly when we were just on Odyssey for 27 nights, we got bored with drinking 🤪 I just couldn’t do 5 drinks every night anymore……I would get to schooner and say, what do I want tonight. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You're flying in the day of?  Good luck!

Non-stop "puddle jumper" out of Orlando to Miami.  35 minute flight...extremely early at 6 am.  No sooner had jet reached altitude...we were coming down again.  

No worries, and came in early as well.  Too early.  😕  Delta changed our flight 2.5 hours earlier than I originally booked.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I was lucky to do Wonder out of Ft Lauderdale last spring. I think I was on #6 cruise before leaving for Europe.  Did not get to see all the shows as they were not ready.  I also Love Symphony too

Docked next to her right now here in Coco Cay...such a beautiful ship!  🥰

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

We live in Florida...the land of the mold.  😉  But mostly toilets will tend to drain out if left unattended for too long.  Not good for the plumbing.  I would think every 3 weeks or so...but our caretaker is wonderfully over the top with his care.  He does that when we spend 3-4 months in Maine for the summers as well. 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We and 208 others are currently watching the Miami webcam; waiting for you to set sail.  It's a bit later than the published 4pm departure.  I hope no one forgot to pack their passport, or to do muster drill!  At any rate....have a wonderful time!!

It did not go smoothly at all.  Lots of frustrating delays.  Ughh.  

12 hours ago, Luckynana said:

We are Snowbirds.  When we are closing our Condo for 7 months to head back North, we turn off the water, put bleach in our toilets, and cover the toilet bowl with plastic wrap.  No need to flush toilets, water remains in our toilets.😉

I can't turn off the water to the house.  Caretaker waters our plants.  🙂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, doghog said:

Now it's time to chill out and enjoy. I know you both will. 🍷🍺

Funny thing is it has been pouring rain since we got here in Coco Cay.  😄  But no worries for us, been here too many times anyway.  We actually loved the little island when it was a tendered port.  More natural and quiet.  Now...Disney World type theme park.  😝

• Like 7

Not only getting into Miami way too early thanks to Delta's flight change...but getting to port too early, even though we sat at Miami airport for an extra hour to delay our taxi ride.  Thought we were in luck when porters were there already taking checked bags (best part of the morning).  

Lined up in the Suites/Pinnacle que outside terminal, but since they were shuttling in the full WC cruisers one bus at a time...with long delays in between...we waited long past our check in time.  

Then when we finally got to check in at 12:30....there was a huge delay with getting the right paperwork due to cabin change.  

Yes, we won our Royal UP bid.  Now happily settled for 63 nights in a Grand Suite in great location.  😄 

Even though the new mattress on the bad was nice...still very firm and oh so happy I brought the foam topper.  Left it spread out over the bed to "poof up" and indeed had to trim it (thanks  @orville99 for making sure I had my full sized scissors to trim it).   Our fantastic cabin attendant redid the bed to install it under the sheets.  Wonderful!  Like sleeping on a cloud!  John (of John and Lala) very happy to inherit it when we disembark in LA!  😄 

And speaking of John and Laura...had a wonderful time with them for drinks at VCL bar (Steve the bartender fantastic)...then we all transferred to the CL to our favorite bar seats for another set of before dinner drinks.  🙂 

Found our assigned table...as a table for 10!  😮  Got it changed out to a nice quiet corner "two top" and enjoyed a great dinner in the MDR at 5:30.  Wonderful waiter team which will be with us all the way to LA.  

Breakfast in Chops this morning was equally wonderful.  😋

Things are definitely looking up...and enjoying our night #1 day 2!  🤗

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BND said:

Because water will evaporate and leave a nasty ring as it does so.  Also, running water keeps the sewer smell away.  When water isn't run/toilets flushed, everything dries out and smells. 

Another reason to keep water in the tank is to keep the rubber seals wet. If they dry out they shrink and crack. When the tank refills they could leak. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, island lady said:

Funny thing is it has been pouring rain since we got here in Coco Cay.  😄  But no worries for us, been here too many times anyway.  We actually loved the little island when it was a tendered port.  More natural and quiet.  Now...Disney World type theme park.  😝

Song comes to my mind, "Rainy days and Mondays".  If it's any consolation it's currently 28 degrees and partly cloudy here. 😉 I'm going to bundle up and go for a walk in about an hour. 

• Like 1