Cruising with fractured ankle accommodations 3 weeks out

I’m so frustrated. I fractured my ankle. On crutches and in cast. Can get around as needed. Have cruise on December 24th. I know I can get a scooter so good there. But given it’s a holiday sailing, and I plan to call tomorrow, I’m doubtful about an accessible room being available to move the scooter in.  

For those with experience in this area does RCL hold back accessible rooms in inventory? Can I leave my scooter outside a room? How accommodating with room options might they be this close to sailing?  

Any info that would help me or any tips I would really appreciate!  My plan is to not cancel and to find a way to make it work. 

Thanks. 

Sorry to hear about your ankle.

Highly unlikely an accessible cabin is available, but never hurts to ask them.

A standard scooter can fit thru the cabin door on most ships/most cabin types but maneuvering inside the cabin can be difficult.   

On our last cruise on Serenade in a OV balcony a neighbor was told to leave his scooter in the hallway and set up a time for it to be picked up every night and time to be returned every morning.  They would charge battery for him too.  They handled this very well.

What ship will you be sailing on?

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And if you can't get an accessible room, at least try to make sure you have a room with the bed away from the door so your scooter can fit in your room. Hopefully your steward can take it away every night, but because of SOLAS, you cannot leave it in the hallway. 

So sorry for your misfortune, hope you can make the best of this bad situation 

37 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

I’m so frustrated. I fractured my ankle. On crutches and in cast. Can get around as needed. Have cruise on December 24th. I know I can get a scooter so good there. But given it’s a holiday sailing, and I plan to call tomorrow, I’m doubtful about an accessible room being available to move the scooter in.  

For those with experience in this area does RCL hold back accessible rooms in inventory? Can I leave my scooter outside a room? How accommodating with room options might they be this close to sailing?  

Any info that would help me or any tips I would really appreciate!  My plan is to not cancel and to find a way to make it work. 

Thanks. 

FYI, your sailing on Odyssey is the 23rd not the 24th.

The sailing is sold out so unfortunately  there won't be any accessible cabins left

Two years ago I fractured my ankle and using crutches was not a good idea. My neighbor recommending renting a knee scooter from a medical supply company. It was one where you put your bad leg on the pad and pushed away with your good leg. It had hand breaks just like a bike. Worked really slick and was a life saver. It was $40 for a month. It was light weight a narrow enough, and light enough that you could go anywhere. It fit easily in the back seat, but I don’t know about flying or anything major. If you do decide to go this route, make sure you get one with a basket.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

FYI, your sailing on Odyssey is the 23rd not the 24th.

The sailing is sold out so unfortunately  there won't be any accessible cabins left

It doesn't hurt to ask if there is an accessible cabin available. 

The ship can reach maximum capacity without selling every cabin, especially on a holiday sailing.  That's because many families will have 4 in a cabin.  Once they hit their maximum lifeboat capacity, no more cabins will be sold.  The ship may sail with some empty cabins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Two years ago I fractured my ankle and using crutches was not a good idea. My neighbor recommending renting a knee scooter from a medical supply company. It was one where you put your bad leg on the pad and pushed away with your good leg. It had hand breaks just like a bike. Worked really slick and was a life saver. It was $40 for a month. It was light weight a narrow enough, and light enough that you could go anywhere. It fit easily in the back seat, but I don’t know about flying or anything major. If you do decide to go this route, make sure you get one with a basket.

My husband fractured his ankle and had to have hardware in it. The knee scooter was a lifesaver for him.  We didn’t travel with it but on Oasis we saw a few people with them. 

• Like 1

Another vote for a knee scooter. A million times better than crutches (but bring those too just in case).

Personally I would NOT get an electric scooter. They can be difficult to manuever, especially in crowds.  If you can get around OK, I don't think it is worth the additional hassle. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

On our last cruise on Serenade in a OV balcony a neighbor was told to leave his scooter in the hallway and set up a time for it to be picked up every night and time to be returned every morning.  They would charge battery for him too.  They handled this very well.

What ship will you be sailing on?

I'll be sailing on Freedom Of the Seas next Monday (Dec 11)

Do I need to arrange for the scooter pick-up & return before we board?

4 minutes ago, ohiocpa said:

If you want a scooter for the duration of the cruise yes; you need to contact one of the rental companies. (We use scoot around) 

if you just need a chair for boarding and disembarking, then no reservation needed. 

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I would suggest you get a walker- crutches are difficult.  Even a wheel chair to use on a big ship will help.  If the ankle is a simple fracture, perhaps you can use a boot and are able to walk.

I broke my foot on the summit years ago- managed.  

I also had a boot on for a month. My doctor told me it was ok to walk around within the house to do what I had to but for extended walking, especially outside, he recommended that I should use the scooter. I too had a 4” plate, with screws, put in my leg.

38 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I also had a boot on for a month. My doctor told me it was ok to walk around within the house to do what I had to but for extended walking, especially outside, he recommended that I should use the scooter. I too had a 4” plate, with screws, put in my leg.

If you had a surgical procedure, not just a clean break- so much more serious then my foot which was a closed fracture- Hope it healed well.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Thank for everyone's thoughts and opinions. I saw my ortho doctor today and I'm in a boot that I can walk in immediately - so lucky on that front. Will have additional X-rays to two weeks to confirm everything is on track prior to leaving for cruise. So I will not need a special room or a scooter, but I do plan on renting a knee scooter from Scottaround or some other company.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ohiocpa said:

Yes. Scoot Around 1-888-441-7575 107.00 for a knee scooter ( which I def recommend  as the best option!)  plus 30.00 if you want cancellation insurance, good  as of last week for 1/7 Wonder sailing, 7 day . Price was held only for the day. 

Special needs at C  1-800-513-4515 105.00 and 50.00 cancellation fee 8 days out, then no refunds. 

Sam pricing conditions as above. 

Prices like a cruise or airline... only good at the time? I thought that was weird.

Edited by budmeister

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

If you had a surgical procedure, not just a clean break- so much more serious then my foot which was a closed fracture- Hope it healed well.  

Thanks for asking, everything worked out well. This happened two years ago while I was mopping the bathroom floor which I’ve done almost every week for fifteen years.

We have all tile floors so I do them all. It’s eerie, The rest of the house I just cruise through it, when I get to the master bath it’s like I’m walking on ice.

3 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

Thank for everyone's thoughts and opinions. I saw my ortho doctor today and I'm in a boot that I can walk in immediately - so lucky on that front. Will have additional X-rays to two weeks to confirm everything is on track prior to leaving for cruise. So I will not need a special room or a scooter, but I do plan on renting a knee scooter from Scottaround or some other company.

I would also call the special needs department and request a shower stool for your cabin.  It will be much safer for you when you are taking a shower on the moving ship.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, budmeister said:

Yes. Scoot Around 1-888-441-7575 107.00 for a knee scooter ( which I def recommend  as the best option!)  plus 30.00 if you want cancellation insurance, good  as of last week for 1/7 Wonder sailing, 7 day . Price was held only for the day. 

Special needs at C  1-800-513-4515 105.00 and 50.00 cancellation fee 8 days out, then no refunds. 

Sam pricing conditions as above. 

Prices like a cruise or airline... only good at the time? I thought that was weird.

I booked through Scootaround. Very helpful staff via phone and chat. 

Do you need to RENT a knee scooter? Isn't there a loan cupboard near you? In our town we can get crutches, wheelchairs, knee scooters etc. from fire/ambulance services, the Elks club, Shriners, Masonic Temple etc. Call around, you may find you can borrow what you need and not have to pay a rental fee.

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Do you need to RENT a knee scooter? Isn't there a loan cupboard near you? In our town we can get crutches, wheelchairs, knee scooters etc. from fire/ambulance services, the Elks club, Shriners, Masonic Temple etc. Call around, you may find you can borrow what you need and not have to pay a rental fee.

Convenience for me. Scooter delivered directly to my room and picked up from my room. Worth the money.