tipping

eightofninekev

3 minutes ago, eightofninekev said:

I know tips are included but do people give out extra to the cabin steward and to the waiters in the main dining room on the last day?

If they have done an exceptional job then yes but do not feel you are obliged to.

Tipped room service a couple of £s. A little extra for the Room steward if we are happy with the service, one of my pet hates is to pull back the covers on the bed and find that the bottom sheet has not been touched, (too many years doing hospital corners) I have no problem with doing it myself but I shouldn’t have to. I am aware that the stewards have a lot of work to do but I need the bed made properly. Also waiters not so easy with Freedom dining. This is our choice and everyone should be free to do as they choose. 

3 hours ago, eightofninekev said:

I know tips are included but do people give out extra to the cabin steward and to the waiters in the main dining room on the last day?

No, unless they add significantly to my enjoyment of the cruise

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dwhe said:

I have some Dollars left over from a previous cruise, I take it crew won't mind me giving them those? Anyone have experience of that?

We have done this several times over the years. The staff may have a preference but won't turn foreign currency down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

This is not a criticism but a genuine question.

Why do some feel the need to tip the crew extra for a "normal" service level?

Normal service likely means different things to different people. I tip if and when I think staff have pandered to our whims or been extra efficient, which you could argue is part of their job. I have never felt the need to tip but don't mind doing so. Great that we have the choice.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, david63 said:

This is not a criticism but a genuine question.

Why do some feel the need to tip the crew extra for a "normal" service level?

They work hard. Some go above and beyond a "normal service level" Money helps them a lot. 

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Will upset many it why tip again when you have already had tips included in cruise fare.

As I said personal choice. Why would it upset anyone.? No one would know. I certainly wouldn’t be telling my fellow cruisers that we tipped someone a little extra. 

I always tip room steward. I would tip waiters on fixed dining. I am not going to miss what I leave but I am sure it’s a welcome bonus to the recipient. I feel lucky to have the health and opportunity to cruise. I have never had such poor service that I wouldn’t leave anything. I didn’t leave as much as I normally would once when,I felt the service had been a bit meh. 

• Like 2

This will sound strange, but I preferred it when tipping was not included... 

I always felt the room stewards and waiters were 'working' for the tips, going the extra mile, now it just feels like they are 'just' doing their job. 

I appreciate they work extremely hard, but I never tipped for the first time ever on our last cruise as it felt like they didn't really care if we were happy or not. 

Andy 

• Like 8

I don't miss the little "reminders" (begging) that occurred when it came to the last few days of a cruise. I also don't miss the in cabin surveys and the hints that "unless you mark this question 5 stars I won't get my tips".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I always felt the room stewards and waiters were 'working' for the tips, going the extra mile, now it just feels like they are 'just' doing their job. 

I appreciate they work extremely hard, but I never tipped for the first time ever on our last cruise as it felt like they didn't really care if we were happy or not. 

Andy 

I know exactly what you mean Andy. The current trend towards 10/12/15% automatic service charges in restaurants at home creates the same problem. If it will be added regardless of the service provided then service can suffer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Normal service likely means different things to different people. I tip if and when I think staff have pandered to our whims or been extra efficient, which you could argue is part of their job. I have never felt the need to tip but don't mind doing so. Great that we have the choice.

I do think that tipping has now become more accepted as the norm in the UK, especially among younger generations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I think it certainly felt like that on Arvia in September and staff didn't seem very happy and just going through the motions.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1