Disappointment

clover18

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

There is little difference between this and booking a cruise to Bermuda because you saw the sun and pink beaches only to have it randomly canceled due to the weather. 

When I saw the title, "Disappointment," I immediately thought of our most recent cruise to Bermuda, which, because of Hurricane Tammy, was not a cruise to Bermuda. It would have been our first time there, and instead we went to Port Canaveral and Freeport, not at all good substitutes. But after over a dozen cruises, we have learned that things can and will change, and sometimes you will not be happy about it. We made the best of it and enjoyed our cruise, though it was hard not to be disappointed. At least we weren't as upset as the bride-to-be whose dream wedding was planned for Bermuda and ended up being on Coco Cay. I can only hope Royal really made it up to her with a beautiful wedding there. Personally, I would not arrange for such a milestone event on a cruise for this reason exactly.

6 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

stating my reasons why I probably wouldn't have chosen the cruise she did in the first place. She's still a good mother either way.  Taking her kid on a nice cruise vacation and exposing her to the joys of travel into other cultures is always going to be enough!  As parents, we don't have to make decisions that aren't necessarily good for the whole family to satisfy our child's every desire or how will they ever learn to cope with a bit of disappointment in life?

Had she picked her cruise based on a performer, which can change,  and then stood by it without complaint about better ships being available, I would have not commented the way that I did.   C'est la vie, indeed. 

Really, just curb your parental judgement already. I find people that need to offer this sort of unsolicited commentary here are generally just overcompensating for the misery and failure in their own life.

I follow Jordan on YouTube also and while I’d never book a cruise solely for a crew member I understand a teenagers allure to internet stardom. Jordan posts good content. My sympathies are with Jordan and I hope we see her back in a ship soon.  

On 12/16/2023 at 9:24 AM, clover18 said:

We arrived on Explorer yesterday. Chose this sailing because our daughter (16) is a folllower of Jordan Bauth. The ice skater. It’s all she can talk about from instagram and you tube. This morning Jordan posted on her story that she left the ship yesterday even though her contract was through March. Yeah yeah it’s just a disappointed teenager “she’ll get over it.” But when we researched all the cruises over this two-week time frame we ultimately chose THIS one so we could see and meet Jordan!” So bummed because we could have picked any other number of ships that are a lot nicer than Explorer. C’est La Vie, right?

Forget what people say...you do your thing. We only go around once in life and anything can change in a heartbeat. 

Years ago I promised my dd I'd take her if we ever saw Rosanna Pansino on tour in our area. Sure enough was driving 2+ hours to wait more hours in line to meet her.  Now my dd stopped talking about it a few years ago (we met her in 2017) but I'm glad I stood by my word and took her.  We'll always be a part of her Wilkes Barre meet and greet in her 2017 year end video. (Well dd and me. Dhs head was cut off in the video lol)

Edited by sadiwest
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Really, just curb your parental judgement already. I find people that need to offer this sort of unsolicited commentary here are generally just overcompensating for the misery and failure in their own life.

And yet here you are offering your unsolicited commentary 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

And yet here you are offering your unsolicited commentary 🤣

Absolutely not. I am calling you out for your unnecessary judgmental nonsense. Your contribution served no purpose other than to make yourself somehow feel better.  Really, there is absolutely no reason to lecture someone on how they choose to parent.  Assuming you have actual insight just demonstrates your ignorance.

59 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Your contribution served no purpose other than to make yourself somehow feel better.

Chum calling the kettle black. I may not agree with the sentiment, but you have no way or reason to judge people's intent.  

I would urge people to do what they want with their own money/lives/vacation as long as it hurts no one else. 

Edited by sadiwest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Or Port of Call 😉

I don't think that's fair. I've know people to but Broadway tickets for a headliner. Why is this different?  No one's fault she got called away for a family emergency. 

Just another understudy stepping in. Feel badly for op's daughter and disappointment.  

On 12/16/2023 at 10:39 AM, smokeybandit said:

Being needed on another ship is most likely. 

Sounds like she is home on compassionate leave.  It would be highly unusual for a cast member to be needed on another ship.  Other crew yes, that is incredibly common.  The casts generally stick together, they can't just sub-out with someone on another ship due to the nature of their work.

On 12/19/2023 at 5:45 AM, compuryan said:

Sounds like she is home on compassionate leave.  It would be highly unusual for a cast member to be needed on another ship.  Other crew yes, that is incredibly common.  The casts generally stick together, they can't just sub-out with someone on another ship due to the nature of their work.

Yet even she was borrowed by another Ship in another Cast, she posted Videos as it happened. And I've known others like her that did 4-6wk then return, Rare, yes but happens. 

On 12/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, Jimbo said:

Could be a number of various things, sickness, someone at home sick, not getting along with someone onboard. Needed on another ship etc.

Probably find her you tube videos will eventually tell you what her issue was.

Her grandmother passed away.  She posted a YT video yesterday about it.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 6:05 PM, sadiwest said:

I don't think that's fair. I've know people to but Broadway tickets for a headliner. Why is this different?  No one's fault she got called away for a family emergency. 

Just another understudy stepping in. Feel badly for op's daughter and disappointment.  

My daughter just saw hadestown on Broadway, really enjoyed it but the lead had an understudy, she was disappointed.

On 12/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

Absolutely not. I am calling you out for your unnecessary judgmental nonsense. Your contribution served no purpose other than to make yourself somehow feel better.  Really, there is absolutely no reason to lecture someone on how they choose to parent.  Assuming you have actual insight just demonstrates your ignorance.

actully goes for you too!

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

you should refresh yourself on the guidelines of this site

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter just saw hadestown on Broadway, really enjoyed it but the lead had an understudy, she was disappointed.

Understudies are the lifeblood of Broadway shows. Many of them have to know multiple tracks and be able to jump in at a moment's notice. FWIW, the OG leads in Hadestown have been gone for a while. (Each company of "Six" has at least one "master" understudy who has to know all 6 tracks.)

But just as booking a cruise for one entertainer or CD or whatever has risks that changes can happen, so can it on Broadway. Illness, leave for other reasons, injuries, vacations. Unless it's someone like Patti Lupone, Bette Middler, or the like, it's NOT going to be announced well in advance. And unless they are "above the title" (like the 2 I named or other big names) there are no refunds.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1