Without regard for being a Mariner's Holiday Cruise

This was our first cruise in a long time because of the pandemic, we ventured forth for a 10-day Holiday Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  We are 4* close to moving up to 5*.  We board in the first group at 11 AM, find the cabin, do some exploring, and wait for the announcement about the welcome luncheon for the Mariners.  No announcement ever came, but we stumbled on to the lunch being served.  There are only about 40 individuals having lunch compared to previous cruises where the number was much higher.  Back to the cabin and finally at 5 PM, our luggage shows up.  There is nothing for the Mariners for the next six days.  A one-hour reception is announced at the Lido Deck indoor pool.  A gauntlet of eight uniformed personnel greet us and we have no idea who they are since they don't talk or say hello, just nod their heads.  Sixty minutes later, the place is cleared out.   A Wine tasting (free to Mariners) is held on the last sea day, for anyone who wishes to order a wine package for the one day left, I guess.  On the next to the last sea day we leave laundry on the bed for pick up, but the cabin boy hands it back the next day because the laundry room is overloaded with others they can not get to ours.  And last but not least, the Mariner's Luncheon with awards and meeting the Captain is not held.  There is no mention of why, no apology.  I guess during the 10 days there was no time available.  The good news was the tiles were delivered to the cabins.  The disregard for the Mariners Members is not a deal breaker, but it is more of the reflective attitude towards all the passengers in my opinion.  

• Like 1

Having just cruised Eurodam on an 11-night sailing in late November I'll share my experiences. The embarkation lunch isn't for Mariners - it's for everyone.  It was listed as an "event" in the Navigator app, and I don't recall there ever being an announcement in my previous 30 HAL cruises. Lunch was very well-attended, and I won't be repeating that mess again! It took too long, with too much time sitting around waiting to place the order, waiting for the food, etc. Never had a wine steward stop by at all, so drank water.

I carry my own luggage onboard with me, so no wait for that. My invitation to the free wine tasting was the first sea day - as it's always been in the past. This was also well-attended, and a nice event.  I usually don't go, but was glad I did this time.

We had the Lido pool mariner reception one evening - after an hour we were encouraged to leave because they were setting up for the next one.  Due to the # of mariners onboard they split it into 2 separate events to keep it more comfortable.  Senior officers circulated throughout the area and stopped to chat with guests - we really enjoyed this one.

I purposely don't plan to send laundry out the last couple days of a cruise, figuring there will those dim bulbs that send EVERYTHING they've worn all cruise at the end! I think I did send a small bag the 2nd to last day this time and it was back the next morning, clean & ready to be packed to go home. Had it been given back to me due to them being overloaded I would have chalked it up to my error and washed it at home. 

We got the tiles too.  I don't recall if I was invited to a mariner luncheon later in the cruise - lunch in the Pinnacle is the only reason I'd get dressed & leave the Retreat for a lunch! So, I can't say whether we had one on my cruise or not.

Hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable. The wine tasting invitation at the end of your cruise seems crazy to me, but the rest of it didn't strike me as shocking or wrong at all.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

I have 130 sea days.  I am a 4 star.  I've never heard an announcement for the Mariners' lunch.  As 4 star Mariners, you should know that there is always lunch in the main dining room the day you board and it's for anyone-nor just for Mariners.  I always try to go there since the buffet is always mobbed the first day. Of course to be a Mariner, all you have to do is sail once.  There usually is an announcement sent to your cabin that laundry put out the second to the last day may not get done. Again, as 4 star Mariners, I would think you would realize that and get your laundry our two days before the end of the cruise. The luggage getting there at 5 sounds normal.  I've had my luggage not get there until 10pm before.  It just depends on how full the ship is, and how proactive your cabin stewards are in getting it to you.  The free wine tasting is always scheduled whenever it fits in best with the cruise schedule. I've never seen it scheduled so late.  Maybe the sommeliers were sick.  Of course they promote the wine packages, but you don't have to buy them. me, I never go, but I don't like wine.  There has been mention that sometimes the Mariner's luncheon isn't held.  Personally, I just want to get the tiles myself.  The things you were upset about aren't things I would care about at all.  Now my luggage not showing up for two days, or the air conditioner not working, sure!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I am on the last full day of a 12day holiday cruise.  I am 3 star. We had a Mariner get together on I think it was the 2nd day. Just free drinks. Then we had a Mariner’s luncheon with the captain 3 days after Christmas ( MDR was closed for this lunch and it was by invitation only). Both were well attended and the luncheon was split into 2 different days. ( not sure how they split them up. It was delicious with “champagne” flowing freely. Tiles were given out on Sunday. On other cruises I have had a get together only and twice a luncheon. We received a notice that if we were disembarking in FLL tomorrow the last day for laundry was Sunday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billthekid said:

This was our first cruise in a long time because of the pandemic, we ventured forth for a 10-day Holiday Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  We are 4* close to moving up to 5*.  We board in the first group at 11 AM, find the cabin, do some exploring, and wait for the announcement about the welcome luncheon for the Mariners.  No announcement ever came, but we stumbled on to the lunch being served.  There are only about 40 individuals having lunch compared to previous cruises where the number was much higher.  Back to the cabin and finally at 5 PM, our luggage shows up.  There is nothing for the Mariners for the next six days.  A one-hour reception is announced at the Lido Deck indoor pool.  A gauntlet of eight uniformed personnel greet us and we have no idea who they are since they don't talk or say hello, just nod their heads.  Sixty minutes later, the place is cleared out.   A Wine tasting (free to Mariners) is held on the last sea day, for anyone who wishes to order a wine package for the one day left, I guess.  On the next to the last sea day we leave laundry on the bed for pick up, but the cabin boy hands it back the next day because the laundry room is overloaded with others they can not get to ours.  And last but not least, the Mariner's Luncheon with awards and meeting the Captain is not held.  There is no mention of why, no apology.  I guess during the 10 days there was no time available.  The good news was the tiles were delivered to the cabins.  The disregard for the Mariners Members is not a deal breaker, but it is more of the reflective attitude towards all the passengers in my opinion.  

But overall, did you enjoy your cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billthekid said:

This was our first cruise in a long time because of the pandemic, we ventured forth for a 10-day Holiday Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  We are 4* close to moving up to 5*.  We board in the first group at 11 AM, find the cabin, do some exploring, and wait for the announcement about the welcome luncheon for the Mariners.  5 star here...can't recall ever hearing an announcement of the boarding Lunch. And we are on board by noon on all but one of our 17 HAL cruises. No announcement ever came, but we stumbled on to the lunch being served.  There are only about 40 individuals having lunch compared to previous cruises where the number was much higher.  Back to the cabin and finally at 5 PM, our luggage shows up. Every boarding is different. There is no priority for luggage for Mariners. There is nothing for the Mariners for the next six days.  A one-hour reception is announced at the Lido Deck indoor pool.  A gauntlet of eight uniformed personnel greet us and we have no idea who they are since they don't talk or say hello, just nod their heads.  Sixty minutes later, the place is cleared out.   A Wine tasting (free to Mariners) is held on the last sea day, for anyone who wishes to order a wine package for the one day left, I guess. The wine tasting is a 4 star and above perk. On the next to the last sea day we leave laundry on the bed for pick up, but the cabin boy hands it back the next day because the laundry room is overloaded with others they can not get to ours. Absolutely the correct thing for the room steward (cabin boy? Really?) to do. And last but not least, the Mariner's Luncheon with awards and meeting the Captain is not held. Unlike some of the other things, this is in fact a new thing. There is no mention of why, no apology.  I guess during the 10 days there was no time available.  The good news was the tiles were delivered to the cabins.  The disregard for the Mariners Members is not a deal breaker, but it is more of the reflective attitude towards all the passengers in my opinion.  

Hmmm....is it possible you have been away from HAL so long you have forgotten some things?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

After three cruises I'm still waiting for any of the below:

15% discount at shophollandamerica.com          
Mariner Society Welcome Onboard Lunch          
Collectible gift          
"Mariner Cocktail" voucher to be used anytime during the cruise

8 minutes ago, Bill B said:

Collectible gift          

As lowly one-stars for our past two cruises (we are now two-stars) the free cocktail voucher was waiting for us in our cabin when we boarded.  Still haven't used them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bill B said:

Collectible gift          

Gotten those every one of our 4 cruises since the post Covid resumption of cruises.

Is the list current?  The Mariner’s society welcome lunch has been in the dining room on boarding day, for whoever shows up.  The special Mariner’s Society lunch later in the cruise seems to be coming back.  I’m 5* and have not been invited to any Mariner’s Society lunch in my 3 cruises since Covid.  The collector’s gift is the tile.  The 15% discount is on logo merchandise only.  The Mariner cocktail is a very simple offering and for those who have HIA worthless.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bill B said:

We always find the cocktail vouchers on the desk with several other papers. It's a small card. If you just shuffle all that stuff together, you probably won't see it.

• Like 3

I have a pile of drink coupons that I've been collecting.

I'm close to 4*.  I've sailed HAL several times since the restart  for about 60 nights total.

I don't recall receiving Mariner lunch invitations, cocktail party invitations, or free wine tastings on any of my sailings post-Covid.

I sail Eurodam on the 13th.  We'll see if I receive any Mariner invitations then.

16 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I don't recall receiving Mariner lunch invitations, cocktail party invitations, or free wine tastings on any of my sailings post-Covid.

The wine tasting is a 4 star perk.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Is the list current? The 15% discount is on logo merchandise only.  The Mariner cocktail is a very simple offering and for those who have HIA worthless.

The list is current. shophollandamerica.com doesn't exist any more, but the Mariner Cocktail could give me 16 drinks one day. 🤪

Edited by Bill B
Can't spell holland.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shalandara said:

As lowly one-stars for our past two cruises (we are now two-stars) the free cocktail voucher was waiting for us in our cabin when we boarded.  Still haven't used them.

You can use the drink voucher at any bar for any drink ($11 max) - it does not have to be the Mariner Cocktail. Enjoy!!

Mariner lunch was today (day 13 of a 16 day cruise); invitation was received yesterday.

20240102_191641.thumb.jpg.2697a4a4aa2df665a2549b9071fac09d.jpg

There were 2 lines of officers and senior crew greeting us as we entered MDR20240102_220706.thumb.jpg.74b2a9606c32e8a7117b123fe8357015.jpg

Numbers were for 5* Mariners

20240102_220725.thumb.jpg.13fedd60bc07c448f0598d8751868f32.jpg

Officers & sr crew sat at various tables with passengers.20240102_220453.thumb.jpg.c4d2b688143f6c356caadf82b3798738.jpg

Captain gave a nice champagne toast thanking us for our loyalty and getting them through the pandemic. It was very nice. 

Menu was definitely special, neither regular lunch menu nor PG menu

20240102_220631.thumb.jpg.eb733492df9850b999d5bb3b8442318b.jpg

20240102_220646.thumb.jpg.ab50124ae70f6bb104a9639b827df735.jpg

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can use the drink voucher at any bar for any drink ($11 max) - it does not have to be the Mariner Cocktail. Enjoy!!

With HIA drink packages it has been worthless.  We are saving them though -- our next trip is actually on a charter and we are forgoing a drink package (neither of us are big on beverages other than the "free" ones).  So they will come in handy then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill B said:

Collectible gift          

11 hours ago, Billthekid said:

Tiles delivered.  That is kinda funny to us.  We sorta hate them.  They are stupid heavy.  We give them away as soon as possible to someone who helps us.

11 hours ago, Billthekid said:

Ahh the joys of being special 😉. There are now a TON of 4 and 5* Mariners now.

I’ve never heard an announcement for the Mariner’s luncheon ever before or post covid.  Typically we were urged to go to the Lido and those who knew went to the MDR if that’s what they wanted.  The “Mariners” embarkation lunch has gone by the wayside.  It is now available for everyone.

Mariners luncheon has just began to come back since covid.  I’ve been to one and it was nicely done.  Medallion ceremonies are normally held but due to the high numbers of 4 and 5* Mariners now, IME only the highest level of Mariners (5* and usually holding at least a medallion - usually silver and up) are invited.  Not everyone is invited nor can they be due to the high number of Mariners on sailings.

Your wine tasting may have been due to timing with Christmas or New year’s activities (I don’t know your itinerary).  It’s usually the first sea day IME.  

I’ve never had my laundry turned away but I don’t have a lot on the last day we are allowed to send it out.  I don’t save it up all cruise for the last minute so if it can’t be done, it’s not the end of the world.

Your time away from cruising may have raised your expectations.  I will happily take my free PG dinners, laundry, 1/2 off my wine packages and specialty dining, etc.  I don’t consider my status disregarded but I also don’t hold a high expectation knowing full well how many of us there are.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kazu said:

AI don’t consider my status disregarded but I also don’t hold a high expectation knowing full well how many of us there are.

To quote Gilbert & Sullivan: "If everybody's somebody then nobody's anybody."

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I don't know about G&S, but I could visualise Chrissie Hynde singing the chorus to "Brass in Pocket"........

To save googling here it is:

[Chorus]
'Cause I'm gonna make you see
There's nobody else here, no one like me
I'm special (Special), so special (Special)
I gotta have some of your attention, give it to me

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't know about G&S, but I could visualise Chrissie Hynde singing the chorus to "Brass in Pocket"........

To save googling here it is:

[Chorus]
'Cause I'm gonna make you see
There's nobody else here, no one like me
I'm special (Special), so special (Special)
I gotta have some of your attention, give it to me

Rather familiar words around here- my Golden Retriever sings that regularly.

IMG_2833.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4