HAL'S new profit center-Santa Claus

Holiday Cruises are enjoyable and we just finished one on the NS.  Back in the day, one of the better moments was Santa greeting the kids in the main showroom on stage.  The Captain would announce an object in the sky, then a sleigh and raindeers, and a video would be shown of Santa on the ship and finally entering the theater.  The kids would line up and approach Santa who would go through the routine of asking them if they were good and what they wanted for Christmas.  A gift would be provided to each kid.  Santa had a microphone and you could hear the questions and the responses which ran the gauntlet from world peace to an x-box.  Egg Nog and cookies would be provided.  It was enjoyable and fun, plus seeing the joy in kids' faces.

This year it was completely different.  Captain announced an object in the sky, then a sleigh with eight raindeers.  On the stage, they showed a video with Santa and just two raindeers, Vincent and Cupid I think.  Finally, Santa arrives, and what song is played; "All I want for Christmas is you."  A child's favorite.  They could have played "Here Comes Santa Clause", but no.  So now the children are lined up by age group.  There is no verbal exchange between Santa and the kids.  Just sit on his lap, have the ship photographer snap the picture, give a token gift from the dollar store, and next in line, please.  No wish list, no HoHoHo, no good little boy speech.  Not one daunting parent was allowed to snap a picture with their cell phone.  

The photographs were hung in the photo center with care.  And were sold to the parents for $29.95.  It is all part of the commercialization of the holidays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

What do you expect. No one was forced to by the pictures. At least they had something. Sorry you didn’t enjoy, but it is about the kids.

• Like 5

I just got back from a holiday cruise. I did go to Santa arriving with the kids getting to get their pictures taken with Santa and receive a small gift. Some were asked “what did you want for Christmas” and some of the answers made many of us laugh the the child’s parent groan. 😁There were ~200 kids. After all the kids went through, adults or family units could get their pictures taken. I got mine with Santa, the elves and the cruise and travel director. Pictures were allowed to be taken by phones. Cookies and eggnog and I think a Christmas punch was passed out. It took almost 1.5 hours. I heard not a word of complaint - only claps and cheers and the kids came off the stage with smiles. It was a lovely time. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I think it’s a bit tacky that the parents weren’t allowed to take their own pictures. It’s not like it was a private studio.

Technically it is, the whole event is owned by the ship. Do they let Mom & Dad take pictures of their kid with Santa at your local mall? No you pay for the photo from the photographer who pays a fee to be there.

• Like 2

Think that's bad? On our 2006 Volendam Christmas cruise, there was no video and no reindeer. Somehow the kids and adults had a great time and a little girl stole the show jumping up and down at the thrill of being given a HAL backpack by Santa himself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

We were on a Christmas cruise once and it was enjoyable to watch the kids with Santa.  Everyone had a great time including the grown ups!!  On another note, I would be more than willing to pay 29.95 for a picture with Santa if our grandchildren could go with us on a Christmas cruise.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I think it’s a bit tacky that the parents weren’t allowed to take their own pictures. It’s not like it was a private studio.

Like @Nickelpenny my experience was that you could take pics.  Lots were.

the pics that were taken though by the photographers that I saw on display were really sweet (and I don’t say that often about the photos taken on board).  If I were a parent, grandparent, aunt, whatever I wouldn’t begrudge paying for that pic - but that’s just me.

• Like 4

All I want for Christmas is You is a more modern Christmas song and is actually non commercial if you think about the lyrics. Is that a problem for you? Young kids probably know that song much more than Here Comes Santa Claus. No one makes anyone buy the pictures. Its like the pictures boarding the ship. No one makes you board them. In fact, you don't even have to participate any more. Same with pictures at formal nights. We should be glad HAL is still doing this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Billthekid said:

The photographs were hung in the photo center with care.  And were sold to the parents for $29.95.  It is all part of the commercialization of the holidays.

Whatever you do, avoid visiting Blarney Castle in Ireland! The rest of your illusions will be shattered.

• Haha 12

In our day-to-day "real" world I'm a mallwalker. Management holds off on the Xmas decorations until shortly after Halloween, and Santa takes his throne just a little after that. The three people serving as Santa's helpers are chiefly focused on the picture-taking and vehemently prohibit parents from taking their own snapshots. Right around the corner is a Victoria's Secret. A red tshirt in the  display window caught my eye, on which was emblazoned "Santa, I can explain . . ."

BTW: the photo shop racks up the most $$$$ on the three days when customers are invited to bring their pets in for a picture with Santa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Whatever you do, avoid visiting Blarney Castle in Ireland! The rest of your illusions will be shattered.

Now you have me thinking.  Was there a professional photographer at the top of the castle?  I know you can take your own picture.  At least that was the case pre-Covid.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

The poor children could have done better at my small towns Santa House! Live music each night, plenty of time with Santa, picture for $5, small gift plus stocking filled with candy!!

Yep...those poor children who just happen to be fortunate enough to be on a cruise. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Now you have me thinking.  Was there a professional photographer at the top of the castle?  I know you can take your own picture.  At least that was the case pre-Covid.

We were there in November 2001. My husband wanted to Kiss the Blarney Stone. If you weren't in line for the stone, your couldn't get near enough to snap a photo (and those in line couldn't have any belongings with them). There were two men to hold the participant as he or she laid back under the "stone" to kiss it. Their photographer had the only positition to get a pic. Somehow able to beam the photos down to gift shop that you'd pass on the way out of the narrow circular stairway out of the castle. Do not remember the price (we passed).

PS, kissing the Blarney stone for the gift of gab did work! or maybe it was the course of self-hypnosis in small-talk...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started this topic more to discuss the absence of the verbal exchange between Santa and the kids being broadcast from the stage.  The photographer has always been part of the presentation.  The kids were the show.  Their comments, questions, wishes, tales, and being awestruck had the audience oohing and awing, laughing, and saying things like cute, precious, etc.  There were many Art Linkletter moments.  The visit from Santa I saw, was have the child sit on Santa's lap, take a picture and move on, next!  Sorry, the subject became about photography.

PS:  Still have my visit to Santa Claus picture.

Kidd_Family_Pictures_0161_a.thumb.jpg.86772a25fe2c9294c3381feab6a1f37b.jpg

Also, the egg nog was not spiked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Somehow able to beam the photos down to gift shop that you'd pass on the way out of the narrow circular stairway out of the castle.

Not bad for a small backward country in 2001! 😉

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

More the year than the country! And in a stone castle...

Hope no offense taken?

No, no offense taken.  I take it more as a compliment to my country's ancestors, who had the foresight, in the fifteenth century, to erect a castle with a machicolation that centuries later would be only suitable for the official photographer and not the camera toting tourists. 😉 🤣🤣

(also, no offense intended 😇)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/3/2024 at 4:19 PM, Billthekid said:

Holiday Cruises are enjoyable and we just finished one on the NS.  Back in the day, one of the better moments was Santa greeting the kids in the main showroom on stage.  The Captain would announce an object in the sky, then a sleigh and raindeers, and a video would be shown of Santa on the ship and finally entering the theater.  The kids would line up and approach Santa who would go through the routine of asking them if they were good and what they wanted for Christmas.  A gift would be provided to each kid.  Santa had a microphone and you could hear the questions and the responses which ran the gauntlet from world peace to an x-box.  Egg Nog and cookies would be provided.  It was enjoyable and fun, plus seeing the joy in kids' faces.

This year it was completely different.  Captain announced an object in the sky, then a sleigh with eight raindeers.  On the stage, they showed a video with Santa and just two raindeers, Vincent and Cupid I think.  Finally, Santa arrives, and what song is played; "All I want for Christmas is you."  A child's favorite.  They could have played "Here Comes Santa Clause", but no.  So now the children are lined up by age group.  There is no verbal exchange between Santa and the kids.  Just sit on his lap, have the ship photographer snap the picture, give a token gift from the dollar store, and next in line, please.  No wish list, no HoHoHo, no good little boy speech.  Not one daunting parent was allowed to snap a picture with their cell phone.  

VINCENT? That’s a new reindeer for me!

Edited by Dinah1230