Hope X will not follow Royal C with mega mega

hcat

Icon of the Seas is nearly 1,200 feet long and comes in at 250,800 gross tons. It has 20 decks and is the first of a new class of vessels for Royal Caribbean. The new ship takes the "world's largest cruise ship" title from Wonder of the Seas, which is also a Royal Caribbean vessel.

It will port in Miami and do Eastern and Western Carib with 7,600 cruisers.  

Could overwhelm any port!  

Hope nothing like that planned for X!

• Like 3

Why would RCG do that? They'll continue to flag any of these ships as Royal Caribbean. That's where they fit in the corporate structure. They're having enough issues differentiating products as is...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, markeb said:

Why would RCG do that? They'll continue to flag any of these ships as Royal Caribbean. That's where they fit in the corporate structure. They're having enough issues differentiating products as is...

They might if they could make more profit. I don't think they will th.ough as ports to take those ships are limited. It would not fit with the Celebrity brand either. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Icon of the Seas is nearly 1,200 feet long and comes in at 250,800 gross tons. It has 20 decks and is the first of a new class of vessels for Royal Caribbean. The new ship takes the "world's largest cruise ship" title from Wonder of the Seas, which is also a Royal Caribbean vessel.

It will port in Miami and do Eastern and Western Carib with 7,600 cruisers.  

Could overwhelm any port!  

Hope nothing like that planned for X!

I wouldn't see them doing that with RC marketing to families with a Suite option (not inclusive), Celebrity more towards adults with a semi-inclusive option for Retreat, and Silversea to adult all-inclusive. We did RC Allure a year ago to try it and said never again on RC mega-ships for a number of reasons. We'll stay with E-class or refurbed M or S class and review other options for more inclusivity and port choices.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Thanks for posting this interesting article.

I've often wondered what X/RCL's future plans would be for the Ports of Tampa, Baltimore and others worldwide that can only accommodate smaller vessels.

29 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Royal hasn't built a ship with capacity under 4k since Jewel in '04.  No X ship is over 3300.  They clearly believe each line serves it's own niche.

I don't believe that the Celebrity brand would veer into Royal Caribbean sized ships anytime soon. However the one wild card is what happens when Richard Fain is completely out. I'm not sure when he will [ever?] step down as board president but ship innovation has been his thing for decades. We're still probably a few years away from seeing what is in store for the next Celebrity iteration. 

Even if Celebrity did build those monster ships we wouldn't cruise on them. We like cruising with RC but elect not to book those monster ships. To many people, not interested in any of the amusement park rides, would hate making reservations for the entertainment and they are port limited. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Even if Celebrity did build those monster ships we wouldn't cruise on them. We like cruising with RC but elect not to book those monster ships. To many people, not interested in any of the amusement park rides, would hate making reservations for the entertainment and they are port limited. 

Pre Covid I used to go on them with a group but I never booked them otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Another thing is who will buy these behemoths when it’s time to sell them, most lines that buy mainstream cruise line ships are smaller European lines. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Another thing is who will buy these behemoths when it’s time to sell them, most lines that buy mainstream cruise line ships are smaller European lines. 

Who cares , in 30 years I wouldn’t be around 🤣

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

The trend with aircraft is they are getting scrapped much earlier than they used to. Cruise ships will probably follow the same trend with their usable lifespan cut far short of the age we see of today's old ships. 

• Like 2

My husband and I have sailed on Oasis class ships since they started building them.  We are still able to walk easily, so the length of the ship is not a problem for us.  We enjoy Central Park, the Water Theatre, and the Boardwalk, especially.  With the neighborhoods, the ship does not feel crowded. When there are sales in the Royal Promenade or on the Boardwalk, then there are crowds.  I am trying Celebrity because the food in Royal's Main Dining room was not very good.  They changed the menu and they need to change it again. I was not unhappy with Royal's big ships, though. The Icon looks amazing, but it is too expensive right now.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Discussion in this thread

Folks...I am.sorry I made another thread  on  a pending topic... maybe they can be combined.    I just reacted to a  Fla news article I saw today...

We would never go on a Monster size ship..Oasis was bad enough! One and done....

The concern is how they will affect  ports..both departure ports ( hotels  tranportation,   port traffic and parking) .... as well as any places they might stop.  Even a private island  could be easily overwhelmed...And it could be awful in emergencies,  or with contagious illness on board.

Hoping X does not go bigger...if anything S Class is ideal!

• Like 4

Seen that ship being promoted on a morning TV show.    I said to my wife it would be like 2 more  ships in the port if we were on the Constellation that has a capacity of 2100.  

Embarkation and disembarkation would be a disaster.   It is bad enough with 2000 to 3000 passengers. 

One feature was that there are adult areas next to the children areas.   Good for families and I would guess that is what their target is.    Hopefully it will keep them off of the Celebrity ships.  

NO THANKS. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I agree with the original post. 
My instincts say that RCI knows the main clientele on Celebrity is not looking for the floating amusement park experience. ( Myself included ).

There was an earlier time in life that many X cruisers would have enjoyed that experience, but no pun intended, that ship has sailed.

@KansasK Our experience on Allure was like you described. Felt less crowded than we had on the Reflection because of all the venues for people to conregate in. We don't do the rides, but had fun watching people who did. 

Oasis and Allure appeal to some and X size  ships to others.....but wonder  about the ICON Class...perhaps a bit too much! 

We  check to avoid being in ports with the biggies and will add ICON  to that list..

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

I think Icon is an abomination! Everything does not have to be bigger to be better. From now on, I’ll have to carefully research before booking any cruise to be sure I never end up at a port on a day Icon is there. Can you imagine?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miss SeaBee said:

I think Icon is an abomination! Everything does not have to be bigger to be better. From now on, I’ll have to carefully research before booking any cruise to be sure I never end up at a port on a day Icon is there. Can you imagine?

I would like to see it a port to see it from the outside. 

• Like 1