They cannot be serious!

I love Oasis class ships... But the sheer price now that we have a family of 3 is too much compared to lines that don't charge for kids/babies.

HOWEVER, I've just watched a video of Icon OTS and saw the menu for the milkshake bar. $16.50 for a milkshake, they cannot be serious??? ($14 plus 18%).

Wow. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I've just watched a video of Icon OTS and saw the menu for the milkshake bar. $16.50 for a milkshake, they cannot be serious??? ($14 plus 18%)

I hope there's booze in that shake (which would make it the same price as most cocktails).

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I bet they'll sell like hotcakes, too.

Yup... That and the $200 per person restaurant on board (plus 18% = $236 per person).

Got to be honest, I love RCL but if this is where it's going I think I'm priced out.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm priced out of Icon class, too. But still plenty of good deals with the older ships.

Here's hoping. Got Symphony for £450pp last year...not sure I'll get that again 😱

Just off P&O cruise and didn't have to pay for baby which was so helpful, RCL is more or less full cost for baby (6 months old) so definitely having to make different decisions now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm priced out of Icon class, too. But still plenty of good deals with the older ships.

How old do you have to go to get a good deal? Grandeur is out of the question for me.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How old do you have to go to get a good deal? Grandeur is out of the question for me.

Voyager/Freedom class is our "no smaller than" target. Got a great deal on Adventure this summer and a good one on Brilliance for Christmas.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Voyager/Freedom class is our "no smaller than" target. Got a great deal on Adventure this summer and a good one on Brilliance for Christmas.

Good for you. I guess I have not been looking in the right places.

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup Still finding a few pre-CV prices on Radiance Class Pop up once in while, booked 3 of them on Jewel for 2025 a few weeks ago.  One example just saw, a last min $899ea for inside doing Panama Canal. Not bad. One good things is my Sailings not overcrowded, many SOLO like me, only handful Families and maybe 10-20 Kids at most

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

Here's hoping. Got Symphony for £450pp last year...not sure I'll get that again 😱

Just off P&O cruise and didn't have to pay for baby which was so helpful, RCL is more or less full cost for baby (6 months old) so definitely having to make different decisions now.

My Kids were young in 90's most the year it was more expensive for passenger 3/4 then 1/2. For say a 7nite OV on Vision Class might be $799ea for 1 & 2 then passenger 3 & 4 would be $1099 each! Summertime, Spring Break and Holidays was even higher. At time Kids were ages  2, 4, and 9yrs old when I started them on Cruises. Oh and these rates were USD

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Honestly she’s not that bad.  No crowds, easy to get around, easy to get off and on at ports of call. The theater is nice. The crew was wonderful. We had a jr suite last on her so space wasn’t an issue.  She doesn’t look any more used than anything else below the Oasis class. 

• Like 4

What is wrong with Grandeur? I cruised on it twice last year and will likely book it at least once this year. I think it is one of RCI’s best ships and the experience is as close as you get to how cruising used to be back in the “old” days. The ship never feels crowded no matter where you are on it and the smaller size leads to seeing the same people over and over again, which allows you to get know other passengers pretty well. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, amurray88 said:

HOWEVER, I've just watched a video of Icon OTS and saw the menu for the milkshake bar. $16.50 for a milkshake, they cannot be serious??? ($14 plus 18%).

Insane. 

The mid-sized ships are our favorites.  

Good for you. I guess I have not been looking in the right places.

Moderate prices are available -- off-season and in "lesser" rooms, and you have to search and be flexible (which is easier for those of us who are retired).  

11 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Honestly she’s not that bad.  No crowds, easy to get around, easy to get off and on at ports of call. The theater is nice. The crew was wonderful. We had a jr suite last on her so space wasn’t an issue.  She doesn’t look any more used than anything else below the Oasis class. 

We sailed Grandeur last fall and had a great time.  Agree it was easy to get around /easy to get on and off at ports.  Yes, loved the theater and had great service!  We had an inside guarantee but ended up in an interior handicapped room ... so much space!  Expanding that thought:  Boarding and disembarkation were a breeze on a smaller ship.  Sailing out under the bridge was fun.  The only negatives:  My husband missed Playmakers, and Grandeur offers fewer evening activities.  We'd sail Grandeur again in a heartbeat ... though we would expect to pay a lower price than we'd pay for a larger, more amenity-filled ship.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Honestly I would love to give her a try. Definitely disappointed that she's not sailing out of Boston this fall as originally planned. I definitely would've been tempted. Amenities sound perfect though, very relaxing.

• Like 1

I'm just disappointed that the milkshakes aren't included with the refreshment or deluxe beverage packages. I know the ones from Johnny Rockets are included on other ships. I love a good milkshake, but $14? I don't think so.

• Thanks 1

I personally would pay the $7 for a float - but only once or twice at most. However, I don’t drink alcohol or eat at the pay restaurants so I usually pick and choose where I want to splurge on a ship.  But I get what you’re saying. If you a have a family with kids, it would get really pricey pretty quickly! 

I also booked Icon as soon as sailings were released. We have three to a room and paid $1100/pp for an ocean view balcony. Couldn’t afford it at today’s prices so booking early is definitely the way to go. Maybe keep an eye on Star of the Seas and book early for her would be my suggestion. 

AD5F1D85-2803-45FD-9C75-781D7A908A91.png

7 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I love Oasis class ships... But the sheer price now that we have a family of 3 is too much compared to lines that don't charge for kids/babies.

Wow. 

Can you get a nonalcoholic milkshake using a Diamond drink voucher?  Do not drink alcohol, only way I would even consider a $14 shake.

7 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Wow. 

$16.50 Seriously?!?!

53 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Absolutely nuts. Icon seems to be like Vegas, every single thing is designed to get as much money from the passenger as possible. And why is there a 18% Graturity on it? Their job is to make the milkshake........🤔

Starbucks on Wonder tacks the 18% onto the empty souvenir coffee mug😉🤣