They cannot be serious!

On 1/13/2024 at 8:27 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Good for you. I guess I have not been looking in the right places.

Do you use a travel agent?  You may want to check with a travel agent on a cruise you are thinking about.  They may have a block of cabins that they reserved when the date originally opened.  You maybe able to get a cheaper rate with added bonus.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:23 PM, smokeybandit said:

Voyager/Freedom class is our "no smaller than" target. Got a great deal on Adventure this summer and a good one on Brilliance for Christmas.

Brilliance is smaller than your target, but I'm sure you know that. Just clarifying for readers who may think it's Voyager size. Ironically, I'm a NO LARGER than Voyager class cruiser. I prefer the smaller ships with the Radiance Class being my very favorite. I cruised on Freedom once and thought it was too big. Have never cruise Freedom Class or larger since.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 12:58 PM, Saoa0318 said:

I assume you have never been to Disney or gone to events at theatres or arenas. This pricing is inline with Disneys Crazy Shake prices and arena area pricing for crafted milkshakes. I am a ticket holder for our local NHL team and the venue at the arena is always loaded with patrons. Market research shows parents will pay it so they will charge it and I bet do well.

One thing is going to an event, you will have budgeted for refreshments.  Another thing is to have paid as a sort of ‘all- inclusive’ which is how I view a cruise once I have bought the drinks package.  That sort of price for a milk shake????  I’ll wait until I get home and make one myself.  

This is the standard RCCL tactic:  extremely high prices for cabin and food until the newness wears off.  Edge was almost unaffordable, 2 to 3 times other Celebrity ships, first couple of years until same class follow-ons started sailing.  Icon prices will come down similarly.  Agree with poster regarding size.  The new behemoths are not for us: too big, too crowded and too impersonal.

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There is a shop near me called Surreal Creamery.  They make these kinds of shakes, and the pricing is similar.

I suspect, and know I will be told I'm incorrect fairly quickly by some, that the shakes at Surreal Creamery and similar businesses will bear no resemblance to the ones offered by RCL on a cruise ship.
I would bet one is made with "real" ice cream and high quality ingredients, the other is likely made with "frozen dessert."
Not that I'd pay $18 for either, just an hypothesis.

I was curious about the milkshake prices but then remembered that we have "gourmet dessert" bar where I live and the starting price is $15.99 so RCCL isn't that far off. Its a beach novelty here and visitors line up for it, locals not so much.  Sounds like the right price point.

• Like 2

Referencing the above mentioned “Princess premium desserts,” I think that term is a better description of what you are actually buying. But, the Icon is geared to families with a younger audience who are very familiar with the term “Crafted Milkshakes.” They have been around for a few years and are very Instagrammable.

Controversial topic here. But, it’s the truth. Royal will be thrilled every time someone takes a pic with the milkshake and tags them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrlddst said:

I was curious about the milkshake prices but then remembered that we have "gourmet dessert" bar where I live and the starting price is $15.99 so RCCL isn't that far off. Its a beach novelty here and visitors line up for it, locals not so much.  Sounds like the right price point.

Do you have to pay several thousand dollars to get access to that "Gourmet Dessert Bar" where you live?

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, amurray88 said:

But the sheer price now that we have a family of 3 is too much compared to lines that don't charge for kids/babies.

wait till you find out that RCI considers a 13 yo to be an adult for pricing purposes..... 😞

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

wait till you find out that RCI considers a 13 yo to be an adult for pricing purposes..... 😞

From what I've seen, they're charging my 6 month old baby the same fare as an adult .....

13 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

From what I've seen, they're charging my 6 month old baby the same fare as an adult .....

on the US site, you choose the age of the child. 0-12 yo is a child, 13+ - an adult...

The cruise I priced for spring break 2025 is:

Total price $1,866.34 if you have 2 adults and 1 kid 12 yo and under, and

Total price $2,134.34 if you have 2 adults and a teen who is considered an adult....

P.S. That's the cheapest cruise they have for our spring break. And it's not even an Oasis class. All the other ones are priced at hair raising rates. 
Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

on the US site, you choose the age of the child. 0-12 yo is a child, 13+ - an adult...

The cruise I priced for spring break 2025 is:

Total price $1,866.34 if you have 2 adults and 1 kid 12 yo and under, and

Total price $2,134.34 if you have 2 adults and a teen who is considered an adult....

P.S. That's the cheapest cruise they have for our spring break. All the other ones are priced at hair raising rates.

Sadly think my RCL days are over for the moment. Just off P&O - flights, transfers, 7 night cruise all for £1,000 ($1250-1300). The entertainment wasn't as good as RCL obviously but it was surprisingly good.... £5 for a beer ($6.40). Tips all included and not added to drinks.

We did have issues pre-cruise but very good on it.

When I see the prices of Icon ...or even Oasis class, I think I'm now at a point of considering the more luxurious lines that are all inclusive and I never thought I'd ever say that but it seems it ends up working out around the same if you go on RCL, add a drinks package and treat yourself to a speciality or two.

• Like 1

I'm hoping the new Icon class ships put pressure to lower prices on the other classes.  We'll see.  Here's to hoping.

When I look at the tour of the Icon, it seems more like a reconfigured Oasis class.  Despite all the crazy hype for the Icon, the Oasis class was far more revolutionary in it's time IMO.  When I watch the tours of the Icon it looks like a tweaked Oasis class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

For Disneyworld/land they are an adult at 10 for pricing. For what it is worth, at 10-12 my kids started eating adult sized meals.

32 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

For Disneyworld/land they are an adult at 10 for pricing. For what it is worth, at 10-12 my kids started eating adult sized meals.

it's not about the food. A lot of it is wasted anyway...

Mine does not eat adult size meals even 2 months away from being 13.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, amurray88 said:

I love Oasis class ships... But the sheer price now that we have a family of 3 is too much compared to lines that don't charge for kids/babies.

HOWEVER, I've just watched a video of Icon OTS and saw the menu for the milkshake bar. $16.50 for a milkshake, they cannot be serious??? ($14 plus 18%).

Wow. 

Wait ... people paid what for Ben & Jerry's on board for a scoop or two of ice cream?  You could have brought a gallon for that price at the grocery store, right?  I'd buy that in a heartbeat because I want it.  Could care less what they think, my money and you will see parents splurge to get it for their kids, some may even share it. 

You should see the prices for Serendipity in New York, their prices will make your eyes pop for $32 and it's just for a sundae.  Sometimes in life you need to just treat yourself, you are on vacation, right?    

3 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

Sometimes in life you need to just treat yourself, you are on vacation, right?    

I already treated my family to a multi thousand dollar vacation. They can spend it without a $32 sunday. They are not going to get it at home either, because that's just a waste. I still have to pay for braces, you know.

If they want a treat, we'll get a gelato or a fancy coffee drink under $5 onboard.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

Wait ... people paid what for Ben & Jerry's on board for a scoop or two of ice cream?  You could have brought a gallon for that price at the grocery store, right?  I'd buy that in a heartbeat because I want it.  Could care less what they think, my money and you will see parents splurge to get it for their kids, some may even share it. 

You should see the prices for Serendipity in New York, their prices will make your eyes pop for $32 and it's just for a sundae.  Sometimes in life you need to just treat yourself, you are on vacation, right?    

No one is telling you not to spend your money as you please. No need for you to justify for the rest of us why we should spend in the same manner.

• Like 5

I prefer water when on cruises, here in the Philippines I get great mango shakes for $1.30.  No trouble going on a cruise without a $14 shake.  How other people waste their money is their business.

• Like 2