Can I bring a small sewing machine?

11 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

The quilt museum is amazing. Paducah is about 70 miles from me.  OH and Hancock Fabrics.  oooohhh weeee for a fabric addict!.  Thanks much.  First time on Celebrity, First TA..  Maybe making paper airplanes and tossing them from the upper decks?   Those are quiet.  

They use to have a paper airplane contest and egg drop contest 

There usually a ***** &Stitch happening somewhere in the morning 

Check your roll call for other craft people 

Last year on the Spring TA there was a Knitting group that was having classes on cruise , weird that most of the classes were in a dark no window conference room  , my wife thought it was a depressing way to spend time on a TA 🤔😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

They use to have a paper airplane contest and egg drop contest 

There usually a ***** &Stitch happening somewhere in the morning 

Check your roll call for other craft people 

Last year on the Spring TA there was a Knitting group that was having classes on cruise , weird that most of the classes were in a dark no window conference room  , my wife thought it was a depressing way to spend time on a TA 🤔😁

Oh.. that would not make me happy.  I'd love to sit by a window and look out.  But I love to chat too and look around.  I will bring my 'very quiet' knitting but isn't my first choice of hobbies.  Anyone for Left, Right Center?? Fun game.

I’m late to this party, but as a fellow quilter, I wouldn’t try to quilt on a cruise ship. Even if I precut the pieces, I’d still need my iron for pressing and a small cutting board for trimming. You can’t bring an iron, and the whole process just takes more space (and accessories) than is practical. I quilt during the winter season in our motorhome, WITH all of my tools, and that is a challenge at times!

I’m sure others have mentioned that some organizations organize quilting themed cruises. I peeked into one last summer and the whole conference center was taken over by Bernini machines and quilting paraphernalia. It looked like a ton of fun!

I’m going on an extended B2B2B cruise next month and am taking along an embroidery project to satisfy my crafting urges. Much more portable. 😁

• Like 2

I would like to know what you do with them when finished.   My parents passed  away a few years back and I inherited about 15  of those things, a family member took one.  The rest I can’t give them away because no one wants one.  They are in great shape as they were used as covers on the bed, hung on a quilt rack, or still in the box.    They were all hand made by  some of the Polish , and Ukrainian women in the area.     I even asked at a dog shelter and they don’t want them. 🤷‍♂️.   I guess at worst I can donate to the SA or  other charity type thrift store  and they will end up being sold as bulk rags.   Asked a pregnancy center but they are limited on what they can accept because of the liability.   The can’t be guaranteed that they are flame proof, non toxic and etc.  I. don’t want to just toss them but I am tired of having them around.  I have the same problem with hand made shawls, and afghans that they had.  

The same with doilies.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

2 hours ago, MBN33025 said:

I’m late to this party, but as a fellow quilter, I wouldn’t try to quilt on a cruise ship. Even if I precut the pieces, I’d still need my iron for pressing and a small cutting board for trimming. You can’t bring an iron, and the whole process just takes more space (and accessories) than is practical. I quilt during the winter season in our motorhome, WITH all of my tools, and that is a challenge at times!

I’m sure others have mentioned that some organizations organize quilting themed cruises. I peeked into one last summer and the whole conference center was taken over by Bernini machines and quilting paraphernalia. It looked like a ton of fun!

I’m going on an extended B2B2B cruise next month and am taking along an embroidery project to satisfy my crafting urges. Much more portable. 😁

what kind of embroidery?  Hand stitching like cross stitch. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Donate them to Goodwill. 

That is one of those places that also takes excess fabric items and sells as bulk rags.  It just seems a shame to think that is where they will end up.  

I guess I just have to face the facts that is all they are worth.  Fancy rags to be used to wipe up grease, oil and etc.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

1 hour ago, miched said:

I don’t want to just toss them, but I am tired of having them around.

You could try calling around to local antique or vintage stores.  They may know of a dealer that specializes in linens that would be interested in taking the entire lot of them off your hands at a fair price with the intention of reselling them for a profit.  At least you would find some solace knowing that they may eventually find a loving and appreciative home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

what kind of embroidery?  Hand stitching like cross stitch. 

Yes, hand stitching using a hoop. It's a kit someone gave me for a Christmas table topper that includes instructions and embroidery floss. It should keep my hands busy for a few sea days anyway!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

ah.. should have really taken some time to READ ALL 5 PAGES.   You are a scroll by.

That's a nice response. Thank you kindly.

Edited by TMLAalum

10 hours ago, miched said:

I would like to know what you do with them when finished.   My parents passed  away a few years back and I inherited about 15  of those things, a family member took one.  The rest I can’t give them away because no one wants one.  They are in great shape as they were used as covers on the bed, hung on a quilt rack, or still in the box.    They were all hand made by  some of the Polish , and Ukrainian women in the area.     I even asked at a dog shelter and they don’t want them. 🤷‍♂️.   I guess at worst I can donate to the SA or  other charity type thrift store  and they will end up being sold as bulk rags.   Asked a pregnancy center but they are limited on what they can accept because of the liability.   The can’t be guaranteed that they are flame proof, non toxic and etc.  I. don’t want to just toss them but I am tired of having them around.  I have the same problem with hand made shawls, and afghans that they had.  

The same with doilies.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Sad that beautifully crafted things can’t find a home.  Have you tried offering them to homeless shelters?  Just saw on our local news that a church group made very basic quilts and knitted hats and mittens; their pastor was giving them out to homeless on the streets in Hartford.

@miched 

I concur with @CTSandy! These treasures need a home! My local fabric store gratefully takes in these items to donate to the Veterans’ hospital and/or to homeless shelters. Our animal shelter would love to have them if you can’t find a human home! Wondering how much it would cost me if you can send them to me to find them homes!

Edited by DingoMom
  • Like 1

@miched check with your local churches.  They may have a quilting group that works on projects and would take what you have to use, either for the fabric or to pass them on for projects they're already undertaking.

Ah, the quilts.   I think those that either quilt or have older relatives that left them a bunch..   I'm in a smaller town and those still in good shape, I wash well and package up and donate them to our hospitals infusion center for folks getting long hours of treatment.  I also made 28 lap quilts and gave them last year.   The quilts that are fraying and not in the best shape...  Give them to your local animal shelter.  Pups are cold and need something comfy to curl up in.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:39 PM, Beth and Bailey said:

Just booked a 13 day TA.  Really looking forward to the sea days and relaxing.

I like to sew and have started quilting.  It is so relaxing and I can just picture myself sitting by a window and puttering away on the sea days.

I'll call and ask but does anyone know?  I know about irons and steamers ..  but don't think I've ever seen anyone ask this.

I understand also that all areas outside of the cabin have 220 so I'd have to make sure (if I can) I have the right adapter so I don't blow it up.

I love this idea for long cruises!

It is allowed but without an iron it may not be as useful as you think.  I do felt embroidery handwork, cross stitch or knit when traveling as they do not require machinery to enjoy.  Love to sit in a quiet sunny spot and do handwork while listening to an audiobook - perfect day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

It is allowed but without an iron it may not be as useful as you think.  I do felt embroidery handwork, cross stitch or knit when traveling as they do not require machinery to enjoy.  Love to sit in a quiet sunny spot and do handwork while listening to an audiobook - perfect day.

Much of the piecing I intended do not need an iron right away.  I have been making smaller lap size race quilts (donated 30 to our NICU and Infusion Center last year)..  so can easily do those and iron when I get home and finish off.  Will being games and knitting although I'm only a simple scarf knitter.  

3 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Much of the piecing I intended do not need an iron right away.  I have been making smaller lap size race quilts (donated 30 to our NICU and Infusion Center last year)..  so can easily do those and iron when I get home and finish off.  Will being games and knitting although I'm only a simple scarf knitter.  

I knit socks because they are small and easy to travel with - even on airplanes.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 10:58 AM, miched said:

The same with doilies.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I would love to purchase

Let me know if we can connect

Kindly

Doris

On 1/22/2024 at 9:58 AM, miched said:

The same with doilies.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Elder care facilities love quilts and afghans.  Have 87yr old relative always bundled up in her afghan.  We always try and find afghans, sorry we live in Arizona.  No snow and ice here.