Small fan confiscated

figmentdj

For the first time in 25 years our small 9" box fan was taken at disembarkation. We sailed out of San Pedro and the security had us open our carryon rolling bag and take it out. Told them we always take it but they held it til the end of the cruise. Even tried to go to Guest Services who called security but we are denied. The policy is worded vaguely of course:

Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Has this happened to anyone else? We have also sailed carnival and HAL with no problem. If we pack in our checked bag will we get an invitation to the naughty room. 

I have one that runs on battery or electricity. I disconnect the electrical cord and put it in  a different bag.  I also have used it with batteries, but it is less effective.  I took this same type fan through security at San Pedro, but that was 2019.  Last did this July 2023 Copenhagen, newer fan. 

In Vancouver, they tried to take my small electric fan that I take on all my cruises and there have been many...I continued to argue with the security lady and finally I told her it was a medical necessity and she said " ok" if that is the reason!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, figmentdj said:

For the first time in 25 years our small 9" box fan was taken at disembarkation. We sailed out of San Pedro and the security had us open our carryon rolling bag and take it out. Told them we always take it but they held it til the end of the cruise. Even tried to go to Guest Services who called security but we are denied. The policy is worded vaguely of course:

Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Has this happened to anyone else? We have also sailed carnival and HAL with no problem. If we pack in our checked bag will we get an invitation to the naughty room. 

We have brought a fan on every cruise line we have been on. For the most part they were battery operated though, but not all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a small battery/electric fan on every trip - land or sea - and have never had an issue with any cruise line. I would be royally PO''d since I am normally on the warm side and the cabin A/C is often tepid, and I use the fan for comfort.

I would contact customerrelations@princess.com and explain exactly what happened and include a photo of the fan with your email.  Ask for clarification on exactly what the corporate policy is and the rational for your fan being confiscated.

Also, ask for their reply via email and not a phone call so that you may have some documentation for the next time.

I have had some success raising issues in that manner.

Good luck to you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am still not sure why people insist on bringing anything onboard that they’ve deemed to be not allowed.  
oh well, it is what it is!  

I used to bring a steamer.....

bought it in the gift shop on a Royal Caribbean cruise      :O)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am still not sure why people insist on bringing anything onboard that they’ve deemed to be not allowed.  

Because they are allowed, oh well, it is what it is! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I guess because fans are allowed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The last time I cruised out of San Pedro (first and only time) the port people ALSO flipped out about my 10” fan. I told them to give it to the ship security if it was an issue..when I got onboard I went to ship security and got my fan back; and they said the people in San Pedro are absolute morons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

But they are allowed.

I guess coming off quick with the classic cruise critic snark is more important than accuracy. It is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

But they are allowed.

I guess coming off quick with the classic cruise critic snark is more important than accuracy. It is what it is.

I apologized above .. too late to edit it!  Sorry to all for misreading the OP 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 6:07 PM, suzyed said:

We have brought a fan on every cruise line we have been on. For the most part they were battery operated though, but not all of them.

Yes same with us. Battery operated.....never taken! 

• Like 1

Not what op was asking, but…..In San Pedro many years ago my non surge protector power strip that was in my carry-on was confiscated by San Pedro ,California security at the port. They took my name & cabin number down and I photographed them taking my item.I might have even received a receipt.Previous cruises this exact power strip was in my checked bag and No problems. I was able to go to guest services and they had security Check it out,onboard the ship and I was given it back. So perhaps OP will get their fan back or has already gotten it back? 

An observation and conjecture from what I'm reading:

When port security confiscates something, it's stored on the ship (as opposed to the port). So it seems that one can appeal the decision to Guest Services and retrieve the item.

22 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Every forum has one 👆

I have received a fan (plug in not battery) on no less than my last 10 cruises (for clarity these were royal & celebrity) so if the cruiseline(s) provides one, I would have to believe it would be okay to bring one?

• Like 1

Have not sailed since 2019.  Read problem with power strips so I went looking on Princess site.  Found list of prohibitive items.  It did not mention power strips or power strips with surge protectors.  Are power strips allowed or not allowed.  I want my power strip not for plug in but it has 4 USB connectors.  In no power strip, can I bring a USB plug in charger with multiple USB ports? 

20 hours ago, cnice515 said:

Every forum has one 👆

I have received a fan (plug in not battery) on no less than my last 10 cruises (for clarity these were royal & celebrity) so if the cruiseline(s) provides one, I would have to believe it would be okay to bring one?

I apologize for my error in misreading the OP.  

• Like 1