Anyone catching covid on vacation

tweety33

I am curious if there has been a lot of covid going around on the cruise ships. Have you been hearing of people getting covid recently on their cruise, or end up having it once you got home?

Just got off the Glory Sunday with a sore throat. Now having headaches and stuffy head.  Did not check for COVID, figured nobody cared, especially Carnival. Just about well now.

• Like 1

I’ve been on five cruises since 2022 and caught it one time out of those five. It was a 10 day, all the others were 7 days. I consider myself lucky. We now have to live with Covid, along with Colds & the Flu.

I will continue to travel with no worries or second thoughts. 

• Like 8

We are just off the Glory also, no vid here. We were on the Miracle to Alaska last summer and came down with a mild cold a few days after we got home, my wife tested positive, I didn't care.

• Like 1

I was on a 10 day cruise in Dec, my niece stayed home.  On day 8 my niece at home texted the family that after 3+ years she finally got it.  The next day on the ship I started what I thought was a cold.  By the time I got home I knew it was more, and I was positive.  Very mild cases.  EM

• Like 1

The only time I catch COVID is when I read about it here.. my wife thought she had it when we got off the Paradise last September 2 home tests and a trip to be tested at the VA hospital and she wound up with a sinus infection.. I guess I won't be getting that life insurance and half her military retirement after all.  I had to laugh at her apparently she reads cruise critic too.

• Haha 1

We have been on several sailings since the restart, without ever feeling sick with symptoms or testing positive. In fact we never got Covid since it the pandemic began. Maybe we dodged it because we have been working from home for years? Idk. Well that streak ended after our last sailing. 

DH tested positive for the 1st time ever after we got home from Panorama’s January 6-day sailing. I tested positive for the 1st time ever, 2 days later. He only had a headache, whereas my symptoms were worse: fever, aches, congestion etc.

But the reality is, the possibility of getting Covid won’t stop us from sailing or engaging in other activities. 

• Like 1

Both hubby & I got Covid on our last 2 summer cruises (July/August 2022 on the Legend & July 2023 on the Mardi Gras). In between we did a cruise in January 2023 (on the Celebration) and didn’t get it.  It’s just the luck of the draw I guess 🤷🏽‍♀️

Edited by tdggal1980
  • Like 1

Nope. Four cruises, three Vegas Trips, six flights, four concerts, no masks and no covid... but I have my own office at work rarely are close to coworkers and caught the covid and flu within two months of each other last year...

but I ALWAYS come back with a sinus infection every time I travel, pre-covid and now... 

Edited by Gamecock_Cruiser
  • Like 1

Reading the comments, is why I said “ figured nobody cared”. People will not cancel a cruise if they are sick before they embark. Too much money involved. I do not think travel insurance will payoff for a cold. Would I cancel a cruise if I was sick at embarkation? I have not faced that decision. I have gotten sick on the back end. Carnival is not sanitizing as they were shortly after COVID. I make this statement based on taking 10 cruises since the restart (observation). People will continue to get sick, hopefully it will not get to level of the CDC stepping in. Carnival Corporate says all the right things publicly about sanitation, however they need to be on a ship to observe actual practice.

2 cruises last year, got the booster before our 14 day in October, no Covid.

Got Covid over Christmas from our daughter who came to visit.

Will be leaving Sunday on our next cruise.

30 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

Reading the comments, is why I said “ figured nobody cared”. People will not cancel a cruise if they are sick before they embark. Too much money involved. I do not think travel insurance will payoff for a cold. Would I cancel a cruise if I was sick at embarkation? I have not faced that decision. I have gotten sick on the back end. Carnival is not sanitizing as they were shortly after COVID. I make this statement based on taking 10 cruises since the restart (observation). People will continue to get sick, hopefully it will not get to level of the CDC stepping in. Carnival Corporate says all the right things publicly about sanitation, however they need to be on a ship to observe actual practice.

Colds have been around since the stone ages and will never go away. Would I cancel if I merely had a cold? Depends on how well/badly I felt. I did cancel once because I felt miserable. I had insurance and the trip cost was reimbursed (had my doctor fill out an insurance form), but if it was a minor cold, then I'd probably continue and just be careful about hand washing, etc. If I had Covid (and knew it), pneumonia, etc., then I'd cancel because I couldn't have a good time and wouldn't want to expose others to something potentially serious. I always have trip insurance so my cost would be reimbursed. Colds are different because they aren't serious. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MEUB1112 said:

We are just off the Glory also, no vid here. We were on the Miracle to Alaska last summer and came down with a mild cold a few days after we got home, my wife tested positive, I didn't care.

I hope that you mean you didn't care if you had it or not, so therefor did not test yourself...  LOL  and not that you did not care that your wife was sick!

• Like 1