Paxlovid

WisCruiser2

Definitely NOT free...but yes, I believe that it is available.  Keep in mind that they do NOT accept insurance on board!  You pay outright (well...to your ship account) and then you file with insurance after you get home.  They are supposed to give the proper documentation for you to file...make SURE you get this before leaving the ship.

32 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Are the ships' medical centers CUURENTLY providing Paxlovid for those testing positive for Covid? I know that it may not be free, but wanting to know if it's available if needed.

Paxlovid isn't for everyone. It's for high risk categories. 

If you test positive, it may be a mild case of Covid since the strain is so different, not a 2020 case.

If you do get it, you'll pay cash out of pocket. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you test positive, it may be a mild case of Covid since the strain is so different, not a 2020 case.

If you do get it, you'll pay cash out of pocket. 

Yes, I'm asking because DH is in high risk category -- actually, I thought anyone over 65 is considered so, but he has additional medical factors. So it sounds like we would be billed full price on the ship, and then would have to try to be reimbursed. Thanks.

• Like 2

We were charged $700 per person in 2022 on ship. Our Kaiser Medicare Advantage plan reimbursed us in full. When I got it in 2023 had mild symptoms so didn’t use it at all

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Yes, I'm asking because DH is in high risk category -- actually, I thought anyone over 65 is considered so, but he has additional medical factors. So it sounds like we would be billed full price on the ship, and then would have to try to be reimbursed. Thanks.

Be sure to take a complete list of medications as some are contraindicated while taking Paxlovid.  I read that late in 2023 Pfizer has set the price of Paxlovid at nearly $1400 for a five day course.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Be sure to take a complete list of medications as some are contraindicated while taking Paxlovid.  I read that late in 2023 Pfizer has set the price of Paxlovid at nearly $1400 for a five day course.  

Even over the counter medication like Ibuprofen (Tylenol) is contraindicated when taking Paxlovid. 

3 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Are the ships' medical centers CUURENTLY providing Paxlovid for those testing positive for Covid? I know that it may not be free, but wanting to know if it's available if needed.

I would get a prescription from the Dr before your cruise so you already have it IF you need it. 

• Like 1

NIH - National Institutes for Health - has outstanding information on drug drug interactions with Paxlovid (https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/antivirals-including-antibody-products/ritonavir-boosted-nirmatrelvir--paxlovid-/paxlovid-drug-drug-interactions/)

Although there are some medications that would preclude you from taking Paxlovid, many don’t, and others you may need to wait 12 hours from your last dose before taking Paxlovid and then not to restart for 3-5 days after you are done taking Paxlovid. All of the specific information is in the information in the above link. 

Although your physician will direct your care, it’s helpful to know what to do about any medications you may be on. 

Edited by RSF Cruiser
Update
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yep, always have a complete list of meds along. Also, I just checked, and there is a way to get a voucher from Pfizer if you are on Medicare (once you have a prescription) to get for no charge. Not sure how that would work on the ship, though...

I added Paxlovid to my list of medications to take aboard a ship when cruising outside the United States.  Yes, the ship "may" have a limited supply onboard, but they are not a pharmacy.  If this is a large outbreak, they have known to run out.  

I happened to have my own when I tested positive last summer.  

In addition, as mentioned above, documentation is important for any reimbursement.  You will need to pay $28 for a copy of your medical history.  That is not covered in the medical center invoice.  PVP did reimburse me for this document.  

Needed:

Medical History report (it will also include number of nights in isolation/covid positive results)

Medical Center invoice (includes medication and office visit)

Copy of your statement where it shows they charged you

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Some people seem to think that as soon as you get a positive covid test, you head straight for the Paxlovid. Not the way my GP works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Yep, always have a complete list of meds along. Also, I just checked, and there is a way to get a voucher from Pfizer if you are on Medicare (once you have a prescription) to get for no charge. Not sure how that would work on the ship, though...

Nothing for Medicare really works on the ship but good to know.  I’ve had CoVid 3 times, the first two bouts were very mild and I thought that was because I received CoVid from the get go.  I struggled to get get Paxlovid the third time I got it as my PCP retired.  I had symptoms for one day!  Period!  Either the strain was much less virulent or I would have recovered the same with or without it.  Who knows but I won’t bother with it again.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Nothing for Medicare really works on the ship but good to know.

A ship under Bermuda flag running in international waters. What did you expect?

• Like 1

Also important to note is that Paxlovid comes in two dosages, one of them for patients with moderate kidney impairment. https://www.paxlovidhcp.com/moderate-renal-impairment  A ship’s doctor may not be aware of your personal health history, or may be too conservative in their approach to prescribing Paxlovid (if they even have it on board).

It’s a good discussion to have with your primary care provider. All mine has to do is hear that I am going on a cruise and she’s sending in a scrip for Paxlovid, which, unless I was getting really sick in the first five days, I would unlikely take again, but it’s like my rescue inhaler. Better to have it than not. As @Cruise Raider mentioned, the price has gone up significantly ($1396).  If your doctor is willing to prescribe it on an anticipatory basis, and you have good insurance, it’s probably best to get it before you travel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DW and I got a prescription and Paxlovid before our cruise last year. Our primary care physician also gave us specific instructions on dosage (I took full dosage and DW took reduced dosage) and on which medications to stop taking while on Paxlovid.

When DW had symptoms, we self tested her. When she showed positive, I self tested. We then reported to medical where they tested both of us. Ship's doctor was very happy that we had Paxlovid and specific instructions on what to take and what not to take. He reviewed them and concurred with primary care physician. We were in isolation for the last three days of our cruise.

Yes, the ship will have some Paxlovid. But there is no way they would have enough if there is a large outbreak.

• Like 3

Thanks, @riffatsea - he plans on checking with cardiologist as to whether he can even take it with the meds he's on (or if changes would need to be made). We're just trying to cover our bases, along with doing what we can to avoid getting any respiratory illnesses on the ship.

Our MA plan does cover some "out of country" medical expenses, and, we do have travel insurance.