Safety of posting exactly when you will be away on a cruise on CC

USN59-79

1 minute ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Thanks again, @clo! Too last to use them for our May cruise, but we'll definitely use them for the next. I'll just regret having to make our messy house look presentable.🙄

Oh my she-gawd. THAT'S the worst. And not just like for a dinner guest but every freaking thing. And places to put their clothes. And clean the dang fridge 🙂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh my she-gawd. THAT'S the worst. And not just like for a dinner guest but every freaking thing. And places to put their clothes. And clean the dang fridge 🙂

Don't get me started. Our social network is always outside, meeting for dinner, etc., so our house is never fit for company--even the short-term! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I would add that in the information found, I could probably gather enough information to answer some security questions that would allow me to change passwords to maybe their banking or credit cards.

This is what I am more worried about than someone robbing my house. The most valuable thing money wise I own at home is my TV, easily replaced but if someone hijacked my financials that would be far more difficult to sort out and have greater consequences. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

People often put a slightly wrong DOB on Facebook for  that reason.

You're right. (or, the DOB is in the screen name.)

But thousands of people also play those games on FB and other social media sites like X, Threads, etc. With their friends that give away a lot of personal information that appear to be innocuous at first.

Games where you get 1 point for something you've done, or a point for some place you've visited, your first car and the list goes on. By playing those games, you are giving away the answers to your security questions

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

A concern about stalking, including *on* a ship during a cruise makes it more worrisome when Roll Call lists ask for specific cabin numbers.  We have always declined to give that, or at least to put it on such a list.

Once we met others on the ship, we might share that.

Indeed, it turned out that for our first cruise after joining CC, someone we communicated with via our Roll Call turned out to be right next to us on the ship.  And it wasn't a tiny ship.

But at that point, it's not a problem.  I doubt they or anyone 'updated' the online CC list.  Usually, after sail-away, the Roll Calls get pretty... inactive.

GC

Kind of scratching my head why a roll coordinator would need our cabin number on a spreadsheet.  I wouldn't give it either. 

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Kind of scratching my head why a roll coordinator would need our cabin number on a spreadsheet.  I wouldn't give it either. 

One reason I've seen given, although this was NOT on that cruise that I mentioned, is if the ship (concierge or ?) is going to deliver physical invites to each member for the Meet & Greet.

Given that we've always had it arranged before the ship sails, I'm not sure why that extra work is necessary, but when I've managed a Meet & Greet, we didn't do that.

And I didn't ask for cabin number.  Or locations.

GC

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I have seen a place for cabin numbers on some of those spreadsheets but I always leave that out and I notice others do too,  No one seemed to mind. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

One reason I've seen given, although this was NOT on that cruise that I mentioned, is if the ship (concierge or ?) is going to deliver physical invites to each member for the Meet & Greet.

Given that we've always had it arranged before the ship sails, I'm not sure why that extra work is necessary, but when I've managed a Meet & Greet, we didn't do that.

And I didn't ask for cabin number.  Or locations.

GC

The concierge knows everyone’s cabin numbers so having it on the spreadsheet is not necessary. Also the concierge usually does not deliver any physical invites. They are sent to the cabin attendant to deliver. 

• Like 1

Not that someone could not find us and know that we are away, but we have cameras in the house that are cloud based storage, and they are in places that even if the intruder knew where they were, they could not eradicate them without us getting a pic of their face or faces.  And they are in various points around the house.

Actually, this all starts with the front door doorbell camera.

These cameras only activate when our phones are not in the house and we get immediate notification - anywhere we are in the world - of any activity.

Oddly there are two specific notifications:

* One indicates "your camera noticed ACTIVITY" 

* The other indicates "your camera SAW A PERSON"

Two cruises ago, I got a SAW A PERSON notification and kind of freaked!  When I started to study the footage, somehow a TV was turned on and the camera had the TV in its view, and it was reporting on the people on the TV.  

We never figured out how the TV was turned on, and assume that it was either a power off/on or surge, or possibly our neighbours remote pointed in our direction?  It has never happened since this one time.

But, we know that the camera notification works.  But we also know the camera notification works because when we have friends scheduled to do physical checks of our home, it captures them.

We aslo use these cameras to survey the house during our absence for insurance purposes.  If we detect anything wrong we have friends and neighbours that we can alert within minutes to go and investigate, and they know that their entry will trigger the cameras and then we have insurance proof that our house was monitored during our absence.

This may be extreme for some people, but it works for us and we don't see this as preventing a break in, but we will know about it and can then remotely call in whatever help we need to deal with it instead of finding out when we get home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I live in a condo, in a secured building, so I am not particularly worried about my home being robbed. I am fairly careful with info that should stay private as well. As a solo woman traveler, I do have concerns about safety aboard and in particular about giving out my cabin number though. Sometimes roll call "owners" say it is to help those organizing private tours.

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have seen a place for cabin numbers on some of those spreadsheets but I always leave that out and I notice others do too,  No one seemed to mind. 

I have had the occasional roll call leader get a bit snippy about people not including their cabin numbers but I believe they just don't stop and think about the potential downside for some of us.

Thankfully, more cruise lines are using apps that make it possible to communicate with others onboard if needed.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I live in a condo, in a secured building, so I am not particularly worried about my home being robbed. I am fairly careful with info that should stay private as well. As a solo woman traveler, I do have concerns about safety aboard and in particular about giving out my cabin number though. Sometimes roll call "owners" say it is to help those organizing private tours.

I have had the occasional roll call leader get a bit snippy about people not including their cabin numbers but I believe they just don't stop and think about the potential downside for some of us.

Thankfully, more cruise lines are using apps that make it possible to communicate with others onboard if needed.

Seems if I was joining a tour with a fellow roll call member, I would deal with them and not need to share my room # with everyone else.  I think you are smart to use common sense precautions when traveling.  

These roll calls may be more than I thought.  I was thinking they were primarily a mixer and some tour sharing or slot pulls.  Sounds like there might be more group socializing throughout the cruise than I thought.  Not a bad thing, just different than I thought.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Not that someone could not find us and know that we are away, but we have cameras in the house that are cloud based storage, and they are in places that even if the intruder knew where they were, they could not eradicate them without us getting a pic of their face or faces.  And they are in various points around the house.

Actually, this all starts with the front door doorbell camera.

These cameras only activate when our phones are not in the house and we get immediate notification - anywhere we are in the world - of any activity.

Oddly there are two specific notifications:

* One indicates "your camera noticed ACTIVITY" 

* The other indicates "your camera SAW A PERSON"

Two cruises ago, I got a SAW A PERSON notification and kind of freaked!  When I started to study the footage, somehow a TV was turned on and the camera had the TV in its view, and it was reporting on the people on the TV.  

We never figured out how the TV was turned on, and assume that it was either a power off/on or surge, or possibly our neighbours remote pointed in our direction?  It has never happened since this one time.

But, we know that the camera notification works.  But we also know the camera notification works because when we have friends scheduled to do physical checks of our home, it captures them.

We aslo use these cameras to survey the house during our absence for insurance purposes.  If we detect anything wrong we have friends and neighbours that we can alert within minutes to go and investigate, and they know that their entry will trigger the cameras and then we have insurance proof that our house was monitored during our absence.

This may be extreme for some people, but it works for us and we don't see this as preventing a break in, but we will know about it and can then remotely call in whatever help we need to deal with it instead of finding out when we get home.

Not sure of policy language in Canada but it makes a lot of sense to have the monitoring if you are away long enough for the home to be defined as vacant.  I'm on shaky ground but suspect I would need to endorse my homeowners policy to accomplish that.  Not an issue for us as we are not gone more than the vacancy definition of 30 days.  For many others it would be a potential issue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

These roll calls may be more than I thought.  I was thinking they were primarily a mixer and some tour sharing or slot pulls.  Sounds like there might be more group socializing throughout the cruise than I thought.  Not a bad thing, just different than I thought.   

They aren't any one thing though. It depends on who is organizing it and who is going.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

Not sure of policy language in Canada but it makes a lot of sense to have the monitoring if you are away long enough for the home to be defined as vacant.  I'm on shaky ground but suspect I would need to endorse my homeowners policy to accomplish that.  Not an issue for us as we are not gone more than the vacancy definition of 30 days.  For many others it would be a potential issue. 

Pretty standard in Canada, or for the home owner policies that I have had, that when away, you have to prove that you have had someone physically enter your home after your absence of 7 days, and then again every 7 days.

In discussions with an insurance underwriter, the basic response as to why every 7 days was:

* You are away for 14 days

* On day two the main water into the house bursts in the basement or there is a drain backup

* Within seven days of the event, there is significantly less damage to be repaired than if the damage is not caught until day 14.  This would be the water damage soaking the sheetrock / drywall and apparently this is something that an adjustor can calculate... they apparently know how long this water has been standing without being reported.

The end result is they may deny your claim completely or significantly reduce what they will pay you for the repair.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 8:00 PM, ldubs said:

I have set up lots of private tours.  In my last Japan cruise I set up 10 of them.  Once I determine that you are really interested and not just tour shopping I always ask for your e-mail and cabin #.  If you don't want to give it to me you don't get to join my tour group.  Bottom line - my tour so my rules.  I have never had any problem filling my tours and to my knowledge nobody in any of my groups has ever been robbed.

DON

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 10:09 PM, clo said:

Worst than that - when I was a kid, my mother decided she couldn't properly clean the house as well as holding down a job, so she arranged for a lady to come in every friday to clean and tidy.

But she was house-proud and didn't want the cleaner to see us in a bad light, so every thursday we had to clean and tidy the house to make it presentable for the cleaner.🙄

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Worst than that - when I was a kid, my mother decided she couldn't properly clean the house as well as holding down a job, so she arranged for a lady to come in every friday to clean and tidy.

But she was house-proud and didn't want the cleaner to see us in a bad light, so every thursday we had to clean and tidy the house to make it presentable for the cleaner.🙄

JB 🙂

😊, I was going to give this post a reaction, a Ha Ha, but I thought a smiley was more appropriate.

The only social media site I am on is here..........I don't do FB and have never tweeted in my life.

I can't remember the last time I gave my last name out to anyone on here and as for folks who give out all kinds of info on their roll calls? That is their choice. I don't really care what they give or don't give. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 3:10 AM, CDNPolar said:

Pretty standard in Canada, or for the home owner policies that I have had, that when away, you have to prove that you have had someone physically enter your home after your absence of 7 days, and then again every 7 days.

In discussions with an insurance underwriter, the basic response as to why every 7 days was:

* You are away for 14 days

* On day two the main water into the house bursts in the basement or there is a drain backup

* Within seven days of the event, there is significantly less damage to be repaired than if the damage is not caught until day 14.  This would be the water damage soaking the sheetrock / drywall and apparently this is something that an adjustor can calculate... they apparently know how long this water has been standing without being reported.

The end result is they may deny your claim completely or significantly reduce what they will pay you for the repair.

Standard policy language is different down here.   In my standard homeowners policy an exclusion for vacancy, defined as 30 days, applies to vandalism & malicious mischief.  

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

Mrs Ldubs and I both lean towards Felix Unger when it comes to maintaining the house. 😀 Any time the thought of a housekeeper comes up we both kind of agree we would never be satisfied.   It is a very heavy burden to bear!  hahaha

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

My wife exactly.

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have set up lots of private tours.  In my last Japan cruise I set up 10 of them.  Once I determine that you are really interested and not just tour shopping I always ask for your e-mail and cabin #.  If you don't want to give it to me you don't get to join my tour group.  Bottom line - my tour so my rules.  I have never had any problem filling my tours and to my knowledge nobody in any of my groups has ever been robbed.

DON

Sure.  We've asked for contact information to make sure we could reach everyone the evening before or morning of a private excursion, "just in case".

But we did NOT post any of that online.

I used my personal e-address that I set up for CC (see signature).  And everything "personal" was done that way.

NOTHING was posted on line, other than information about the private excursion, and how to reach me (using email) so we could make plans.

I was able to send out emails to "everyone" joining or just one person, as needed.

There weren't any of the elaborate spreadsheets.

GC

• Like 1