What new ship will come to Los Angeles in 2025?

13 minutes ago, mil76 said:

Ensenada is pretty bad.  There are some good places to get Mexican food and that is about it.  Plus Nassau will have warmer weather in the winter so you can still go to the beach.  It checks the box for foreign port to keep the cruise legal and that is about it.

I think the key to Ensenada is knowing where to go.  I'm not saying it's a world class port.  But we've gone ziplining and ATV riding a few miles south of the dock at Las Canadas Campamento and had a great time.  I've heard the wine country nearby is pretty cool.  And if you don't feel like venturing too far away the Dona Engracia tequila shop/museum is pretty cool (and cheap!).  So you don't have to just walk down the main drag and be hassled by street vendors while making your way to the insanity at Papas & Beer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Also for those of you that are assuming the Navigator isn't selling well you are completely wrong.

I'd think if it wasn't selling well you'd see in on GGG flyer.  I haven't seen it show up on that in a very long time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, fac429 said:

I think the key to Ensenada is knowing where to go.  I'm not saying it's a world class port.  But we've gone ziplining and ATV riding a few miles south of the dock at Las Canadas Campamento and had a great time.  I've heard the wine country nearby is pretty cool.  And if you don't feel like venturing too far away the Dona Engracia tequila shop/museum is pretty cool (and cheap!).  So you don't have to just walk down the main drag and be hassled by street vendors while making your way to the insanity at Papas & Beer.

ENSENADA  is really not that bad.

If you like wine, they are some pretty good  wineries. I've taken an excellent excursion from the ship. Just across from the port is the bar where supposedly the Margaritta was invented.

On Sundays there are 2 local Flee markets. 

ENSENADA is safe to walk around unlike Nassau. And if you don't want to get off  the ship you do have the wonderful Navigator entertain you. Don't count out ENSENADA 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Are people actually booking a cruise that only goes to Ensenada?

Those sailings are sold out, I'm sailing on the Navigator in 2 weeks. They are a nice short get a way for those that live near the port. There is no need to even get off the ship in Ensenada except for a nice walk around. If the price is right it's like a long week vacation.

I like the smaller ships so won't sail the biggies if they do port in San Pedro.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Are people actually booking a cruise that only goes to Ensenada?

Some people cruise just to cruise and don't care about the ports/itinerary (yours truly included). West coast cruise options are very limited. I 100% understand the need to just book a cruise to get away for a weekend

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Some people cruise just to cruise and don't care about the ports/itinerary (yours truly included). West coast cruise options are very limited. I 100% understand the need to just book a cruise to get away for a weekend

I agree, and for those that don’t have to fly, it’s a good way to build up points. Some people in Florida do the same short cruises over and over to the same destinations.

I much prefer Ensenada to Nassau. 

Anthem is so perfect for cold weather places. That would be fine for LA winters because it can feel too cool to get in the outside pools in Jan-Feb. I can't really see it for summer months though. So maybe winter in LA, summer in Alaska? It's a really nice ship, one of my favorites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The twice weekly tendering would be a PITA for Q class.

Q class can tender and they do at some stops when down under or Hawaii but those aren't twice weekly.  Pretty draining on the deck crew.

Maybe Navi is dedicated to the 3/4 day stuff and a Q class takes over the 7-day stuff.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Yes....Regardless of what she was she started our cruise addiction. Our first few cabins on her were below the water line 😮

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

I would love to see a newer ship in Los Angeles full time, as this is our home port. When we first started cruising in the 90s we only sailed from Los Angeles and Long Beach, but after our first Caribbean cruise on a newer ship in the early 2000s we've regularly flown to Galveston or the Florida ports.  We like the newer ships and the Caribbean ports much better than the Pacific side of Mexico.  Growing up in Southern California we have regularly taken trips to many of these areas, Mexico has changed a lot.   But we'd consider returning to sailing from our home port on a newer ship, especially a Quantum class ship since we've yet to sail on one.  There's a reason why we always have the older ships here, I think Carnival had one of their newest ships at the time here several years ago only to have it replaced by an older ship now.  

Carnival has Panorama at Long Beach, great ship, 2019.  I would be happy to sail on Navigator but I don't do 3 or 4 day cruises and the 7 day cruises are few and far between. 

10 minutes ago, edspec said:

Carnival has Panorama at Long Beach, great ship, 2019

Yeah, my bad I forgot the Panorama was in LA.  Haven't kept up much with Carnival since our last cruise on the Magic several years ago out of Galveston.  I think it was the Splendor that was here for a while when she was new.  We did sail on the Discovery Princess last year on the California coastal cruise and enjoyed that cruise however the Discovery is not here full time.  Back to Royal, hope they do put something new here!

6 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I agree, and for those that don’t have to fly, it’s a good way to build up points. Some people in Florida do the same short cruises over and over to the same destinations.

That would be me. I love 3 night sailings and I love Coco Cay. If Port Canaveral wasn't a two hour drive, and I lived in the Melbourne area, I would be on board every weekend.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yes....Regardless of what she was she started our cruise addiction. Our first few cabins on her were below the water line 😮

Our addiction with RCCL started out of San Pedro...on the Song of America. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd think if it wasn't selling well you'd see in on GGG flyer.  I haven't seen it show up on that in a very long time.

Like cruises in general her popularity has definitely increased in the past year. 

• Like 4

On 1/31/2024 at 9:40 AM, smokeybandit said:

Half the price? Hardly. Prices there are no different than east coast sailings. Sometimes even more expensive.

That is wildly untrue. Almost every time I have looked, it is cheaper to fly to LA and sail on Navigator than drive an hour down the road to Port Canaveral. They’re definitely filling the ship, but at a much lower price per day than comparable 3/4 night and 7 night sailings from Florida. There’s no way they are going to up occupancy from LA until the market catches up, not to mention the additional costs and regulation of sailing from California. 

I love those routes and hope they continue to service them, but it’s always been a hard market for Royal to capitalize on.