Choosing between Alaskan cruise or Canada-New England cruise?

My wife and I are debating whether to do a cruise to Alaska or fall Canada New England cruise. We did a Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago. I did not enjoy it because about 4 weeks before we left I cracked my hip. I want to go back to Alaska but I also want to do the fall Canada New England cruise. It’s for our 40th anniversary. Which do you think we would enjoy doing? We can’t afford both it’s one or the other.

4 minutes ago, Denbon1985 said:

My wife and I are debating whether to do a cruise to Alaska or fall Canada New England cruise. We did a Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago. I did not enjoy it because about 4 weeks before we left I cracked my hip. I want to go back to Alaska but I also want to do the fall Canada New England cruise. It’s for our 40th anniversary. Which do you think we would enjoy doing? We can’t afford both it’s one or the other.

Too many variables to answer that.  Cost?  Length of cruise?  Ports?  Time of year?  What types of activities do you enjoy?  

Your question is the equivalent of asking which tastes better beef or chicken and is totally unanswerable.  However if you insist on an answer I would give anything AK a 9.5 and any cruise along the American / Canadian east coast a maximum of 2.

DON

You’ve been to Alaska.  Do the Canada/New England cruise.  It’s gorgeous.  

If you’re hoping for Fall colours, it will be October at the earliest.  I would skip the Fall colours and go no later than mid-September to skip the cold snaps.

• Like 2

Impossible to say what I think you would enjoy doing.  But based on the fact that you would really like to do the fall Canada / New England cruise and you have already done (albeit not as you would have hoped) the Alaska cruise, if it were me I would do the fall cruise first and then at a later date revisit Alaska.  Just my opinion.

And happy 40th - not many can say that these days!

This is such a tough question, as it depends so much on what really moves you!

I agree with those who said Alaska is in a class by itself. Since the last time you went you couldn't really enjoy it, maybe a second time - carrying with you at least the awareness of what was there the first time - it could be great. And as you probably got a hint of the last time, there are things to see there that you might not see anywhere else.

50 minutes ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

Back to Alaska, it is 10 times better than the New England cruise.

Maybe it's changed but we cruised Alaska at least ten years ago and the ports were so crowded due to cruise ships that port time was pretty much ruined for us. The Canada/New England trips have always appealed and we'll hit them soon hopefully.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:07 PM, Denbon1985 said:

Frankly, I recommend Alaska.  I love what post #4 said.  

Regarding crowded ports....sure....I guess they can get crowded if walking the immediate port area and shopping Diamonds International and Cariloha is your thing.  But get out and see the area, and those crowds quickly disappear.  

• Like 3

Have done both.  If I had the choice, I would opt for a Canada/New England cruise with a terminal stop at Quebec City. 

I think you will find preferences are going to be all over the board on the very general question.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done both. I would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat. I loved my NE/Canada cruise and would do it again (with a much different itinerary), but there was so much more I wanted to see & do in Alaska. Plus I'm more of a mountain person than a leaf person.

For me the choice would be easy because I live in Ontario and have little desire to cruise in places I can easily get to otherwise. Also, the "charms" of New England have never appealed to me. Meanwhile, I loved Alaska and would cruise there again. 

Edited by K32682

I do not think anyone can give the OP an answer.  We have done a few Alaskan cruises and also a few Canada/NE cruises and enjoyed them all.  They are certainly different, but each has their charms.   There is no "one answer fits all" and our own answer is to keep cruising both itinerareis as well as many other cruises around the world.  

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I have decided we are not going on a cruise. We are going to Iceland and rent a Campervan. We are photographers and the landscape in Iceland is beautiful. Ten days in Iceland is going to great a fun time for about the same cost as a cruise. Thanks to everyone that commented.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Denbon1985 said:

The wife and I have decided we are not going on a cruise. We are going to Iceland and rent a Campervan. We are photographers and the landscape in Iceland is beautiful. Ten days in Iceland is going to great a fun time for about the same cost as a cruise. Thanks to everyone that commented.

Ok now that sounds absolutely incredible. Great option 3. Enjoy Iceland.

4 hours ago, Denbon1985 said:

Good choice.  We have been to Iceland, a few times, and really enjoy the country.  

Hank

11 hours ago, Denbon1985 said:

Great trip and better than looking at dead leaves in New England. 

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 6:48 PM, Denbon1985 said:

Iceland is always a good choice! We really enjoyed our cruise around the island, but your plan sounds wonderful.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:07 PM, Denbon1985 said:

We have done both and loved both.  Besides seeing the glaciers, Alaska has a lot of wildlife and East coast Canada was gorgeous. Especially Quebec and a water fall tour we did there. We also loved Prince Edward Island. You can't miss either way.

I recommend you do which one this year and then do the other next year or 2. for the next big celebration. We like to on a big anniversary year take an extra nice cruise.  Now Alaska was a family trip with the in laws so not on a big anniversary, but the other big cruises were for big anniversaries ever 5 years. Our 20th was Bermuda. 25th a transatlantic, 30th was Italy cruise, 35th our east coast Canada to Quebec and Prince Edward Island. 40th was British Isles. For our 45th hubby wants to go back to Alaska or possibly Hawaii. I will be happy with either.

On 2/20/2024 at 7:48 PM, Denbon1985 said:

Lol disregard my last post! That sounds wonderful too! Dress warm. We have not been there, but we were in Northern Scotland in July, and it was cold, we needed a coat and had only brought hoodie jackets. 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:41 AM, ldubs said:

Have done both.  If I had the choice, I would opt for a Canada/New England cruise with a terminal stop at Quebec City. 

I think you will find preferences are going to be all over the board on the very general question.  

And I understand the food in Quebec is wonderful 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Lol disregard my last post! That sounds wonderful too! Dress warm. We have not been there, but we were in Northern Scotland in July, and it was cold, we needed a coat and had only brought hoodie jackets. 

We were in Iceland in early December and it was warmer there then home in Seattle. And, of course, in winter it's dark SO much.

15 hours ago, clo said:

We were in Iceland in early December and it was warmer there then home in Seattle. And, of course, in winter it's dark SO much.

You may have a point. We were told in Scotland by our guide (I think it was Stornoway?)  that winter was only slightly cooler, and their temps were more on par with Iceland. I am from Georgia, USA so it was cold to me. I needed my winter coat there in July! However, my winter coat to someone in Minnesota or northern states on the northern border or in Canada would be considered a jacket. I do have a heavy winter coat which I wear once every 2 years it seems. It has to get below 20 F for a high for me to wear it. Anyway, plus don't forget I had come from 90F temps at home the week before. Where I had found Edinburgh weather refreshing, this port was simply cold to me.  I guess it is all relative, whatever we are used to, what is cold to me may be warm to you.