The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 10th, 2024

kazu

Today is All the News That's Fit to Print Day, Chinese New Year, and Cream Cheese Brownie Day

Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen. - Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Onions
Drink of the Day - Pink Frost
Wine of the Day - La Ferme du Mont 2021 Vendage White (Châteauneuf-du-Pape)
Destination of the Day - Muroran, Japan 

Today in History:
1720 Edmond Halley appointed as the second Astronomer Royal at the Greenwich Observatory
1763 Treaty of Paris ends French-Indian War, surrendering Canada to Britain
1824 Simó Bolivar named dictator by the Congress of Peru
1879 Henry Morton Stanley departs for the Congo

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 07:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 02-11

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Drake Passage and Cape Horn 

Rotterdam

Cartagena Colombia 07:00 - 14:00 

Zaandam

Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Guam Island USA, Apra Harbor, Marianas eta 02-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 02-13

Volendam

At Sea Destination Broome WA, Kimberley, Western Australia eta 02-12

Westerdam

Busan, Korea 08:00 - 17:00

• Like 18
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

1Angelcat’s friend Lynda passing 2/8

StLouisCruisers’ DGD suffering anxiety/fear after a trauma

Cruzin Terri with a trip and fall, with bruised face

Smitty34877’s Tana being treated for infection

Haljo1935 with a sinus infection

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

King Charles battling cancer

Death of 5 Marines in a helicopter crash

Outside Philly 2 police officers shot, house set ablaze, 6 people deceased

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ friend Scott hospitalized for infection, weakness, dehydration

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Haljo1935!

1 Year Anniversary of JazzyV (Vanessa) doing the Care & Celebration List!

Lunar New Year – The Year of the Dragon

Superoma’s DH with good outcome from seeing the hand surgeon

Ger_77’s DH Maurice getting a closer appointment for tests

57redbird making progress post spine surgery, pain better with Gabapentin

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam Feb 11 to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean

5 days for Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox Feb 15 to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise

6 days for Mr. Boston (Rotterdam Feb 16 to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer

7 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam Feb 17 to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer

7 days for Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape Feb 17 to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 23

Good morning from a foggy 43°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days.

I don't like today's quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is safe and in good health and prayers 🙏 for those on the care list.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240210_104202.jpg

Screenshot_20240210_104455.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 14

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

1Angelcat’s friend Lynda passing 2/8

StLouisCruisers’ DGD suffering anxiety/fear after a trauma

Cruzin Terri with a trip and fall, with bruised face

Smitty34877’s Tana being treated for infection

Haljo1935 with a sinus infection

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

King Charles battling cancer

Death of 5 Marines in a helicopter crash

Outside Philly 2 police officers shot, house set ablaze, 6 people deceased

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ friend Scott hospitalized for infection, weakness, dehydration

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Haljo1935!

1 Year Anniversary of JazzyV (Vanessa) doing the Care & Celebration List!

Lunar New Year – The Year of the Dragon

Superoma’s DH with good outcome from seeing the hand surgeon

Ger_77’s DH Maurice getting a closer appointment for tests

57redbird making progress post spine surgery, pain better with Gabapentin

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam Feb 11 to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean

5 days for Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox Feb 15 to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise

6 days for Mr. Boston (Rotterdam Feb 16 to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer

7 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam Feb 17 to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer

7 days for Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape Feb 17 to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Thank you for all of your excellent work over the last year Vanessa @JazzyV.

I wish your health would improve for you.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Printed news may be endangered, becoming extinct, I'll celebrate cream cheese brownies and will likely see fireworks tonight as the neighbors celebrate Chinese New Years. I like Green beans so the meal sounds good but is more of a side dish, would try the drink and wine, not been to the port.

Some key days in history. 

Lot of work today as I didn't get finished yesterday, also need to swap out the TV box so DH can watch tomorrow's game inside (if it rains tomorrow so he won't be able watch it from the back porch). We're going to a little neighborhood Teppanyaki place tonight  - never been and hoping it's good.

Currently rainy 57° headed to rainy 59°. Weather warning for lightning, rain and hail - good day to stay inside. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240210_044219.thumb.jpg.c0e37e04786f60b165a013efee09bbed.jpg

20240210_044417.thumb.jpg.4a83594a4c5fe3200213b9694f954e65.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today promises to be a beautiful day with temperatures expected to get into the 60’s.  I’m still planning on going to the travel event, HAL will have a booth.  I’d like today’s meal suggestion as a side. Today I’m not sure what I’m doing for dinner, I’m leaning towards takeout.  The kids had me up in plenty of time to watch the NA arrive this morning.

I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.thumb.png.5496b8a8e3c16c56541995eb07ff24c4.png

• Like 27
  • Haha 8

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

63 right now heading up to 81 this afternoon 

Interesting days, I’d like to try a cream cheese brownie 

The quote is also interesting 

My sister makes a great green bean casserole 

Never really been to Japan unless you count a rest stop on my way to Vietnam in 1967

Have a great day and stay well

• Like 27

Good Saturday morn all and thanks to Rich, Roy, Ann, Vanessa, Paul & Eva for their ongoing contributions & dedication.

like @Haljo1935 I fear that printed news is becoming extinct.  A very Happy Chinese New Year to all who celebrate.  Cream cheese brownies sound delish if someone would make them for me 😉. Not sure about the Twain quote.  I know we would like to be younger but with age comes wisdom and experience that we didn’t have at 18 (or, at least, I didn’t).  Yum on the wine today.  Not sure I can afford it, but YUM.

IMG_2108.thumb.jpeg.f150973487a6b6575d808f12ac12771e.jpeg

It looks like it is going to be a whole 2 degrees above 0 again for a few hours.  Exciting but short lived.  Sadly, rain comes with that (I fear ice cleaning will be in order again).  Deadly for our Maritime friends in parts of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton - they are cleaning up, trying to get snow off their roofs, etc and the water will add weight and freeze making the job near impossible 😔 

IMG_2004.thumb.jpeg.30a54da0c12b471974139e22f8d6965f.jpeg

I’m hoping to finish the spread sheet today for my cruise next year.  I’ve either gotten slower or forgotten how much work they are 😂. And since my pick up is next week, I best finish off the boxes of stuff I am giving away.  I have a lovely stack to go again.  Still a drop in the bucket, I fear but I am getting there.

IMG_2109.thumb.jpeg.38c32c3f219b840fdcd955c15c744552.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1985.thumb.jpeg.4abe367a1f65659f67619bfb5f0ed421.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Good morning.  Happy Saturday.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and cloudy today, our warm spell is over and we're sliding back into winter temperatures.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk soon.

Three good days to celebrate.  Maybe I'll look up a recipe for cream cheese brownies and make some.

Interesting quote.  So many times I've thought "if I knew then what I know now".

The meal sounds like a good side dish, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I hope the drink and wine will be good too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.  Stay safe.

• Like 29

Pink Frost

There is zero, and I mean zero, agreement about what this cocktail is. One recipe is rum, white chocolate liqueur, strawberries, and half-and-half. Another is pink lemonade concentrate, vodka, white rum, cream of coconut, and maraschino cherry juice. One from Denmark is gin and rhubarb syrup. I'm going with one that is comparatively simple although it requires an ingredient that you may not have around or even be able to get.

pink-frost.jpg.ea0049f3de4cf4cfa46e20a15ce080d7.jpg

½ oz soda water
½ oz simple syrup
2 oz grapefruit juice 
1 oz elderflower liqueur

soda water to taste

1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and then add grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur, and simple syrup. Shake the ingredients vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to chill and combine the flavors.
  2. Strain the cocktail into a chilled glass filled with ice then top it off with soda water to your desired level of effervescence. Stir gently to incorporate.
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  It is 55 and cloudy this morning.  We expect a high of about 65 with a chance of afternoon showers.  We're going outside in a few hours and will trim the crape myrtle and cut up the limbs for disposal.  That's our job for the day.  Except of course the usual weekly laundry which shouldn't take me too long.  Then more cross stitch work while watching my Hallmark Mysteries.  I got lots more sleep last night (6 hours?) so feel ready to tackle everything.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  We shouldn't forget our pal Rich @richwmn who compiled all the info for us to ponder and enjoy each and every day!  I can remember us celebrating All the News That's Fit to Print before and think that's a fine motto for a newspaper to live by.  A salute to Chinese New Year and Cream Cheese Brownie Day.  Yum!  Mark Twain's quote is thought provoking for sure. Can you imagine watching your wrinkles disappear??   I love green bean casserole and the more crispy onions the better.  Not sure if I'd like a Pink Frost cocktail but maybe on the white wine.  Many things happened in the past on this date that were essential for the future.  Thanks today to Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepardfor reporting on the food and beverages.  Great job!

Prayers were said before I hopped out of bed for the treadmill early today.  Of course DGD and DB were top of my list, and my friends Scott and Bob followed right after.  Everyone here on the Daily with health issues, suffering pain and loss of loved ones, worries and stress are included next.  And those at war in Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages held still and the troops in danger every second of their day.  I hope they are staying super vigilant and we appreciate them for doing their duties to protect everyone.  🙏  Happy Birthday wishes to all celebrating including Elizabeth @Haljo1935 and those with anniversaries this date. 🥂 Congrats to everyone cruising! 🎂  A big thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV who continues to keep up the lists one year later after I left for my Caribbean cruise on Feb. 10, 2023.  Never could we have imagined what the following year would hold!  You are a rock star!🌟

Today is a soccer game in Frisco from 1 to 3 pm and it looks like it may be raining all day there.  Should be interesting to hear what happens.  I know I wouldn't want to run around a field slipping and sliding for that long.  🌧️

The port this morning is Muroran, Japan, another first time port for us!  Therefore I have no links to post for you.  I don't know if Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser has been there before so I'll leave that up to her.  I have been there once, believe it or not, so will pick out some photos of our short time spent there.

I do hope everyone here has a nice day, filled with fun and interesting things to do - not ALL work please!  Remember to keep safe and stay well!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps!

Another lovely morning, though there is a bit of a marine layer moving in. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that you get the relief you need from your upcoming procedure. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, and wrapping up the day at a friend’s for dinner. 

IMG_2552.jpeg.ef94299f51b099a8b88257ac3c6af659.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg.b1c96965eeab201a38e750cb36b6211b.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg.a40ccb8b0442a3e583d4c7c36b90c943.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, trauma, or grieving the loss of a loved one. The caregivers. 

Terry, praying for Tana and you. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating - Elizabeth, that’s you. And Vanessa, thank you for taking care of our lists for a year!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

La Ferme du Mont 2021 Vendage White (Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

Lately I have been on a red or white blend kick. But white blends are much harder to find. Sadly this one is outside of my budget, but it sounds nice. A bit elusive, online prices start at $69.99.

95 Wine Enthusiast 

Fresh aromas of white peaches, tangerine, lime zest and acacia fill the glass in this bright expression. The palate is round with flavors of sliced lemon, pink grapefruit, green pear, fresh almonds, white flowers and river rocks. Mouthwatering acidity uplifts and provides tremendous energy to this wine. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

I have a subscription to the NYT but does it count as "fit to print" if it's online?

Slow cooker seems like a complicated way to make green-bean casserole. I'd skip the drink. For the wine, I'll suggest the 2018 Viognier from the Goose Watch Winery on Cayuga Lake. I haven't been to Muroran.

cousinsgotupppity.jpg.5c30e0117b8b8979598fb19787acb19e.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 10

Muroran, Japan

In 2010 we took a Diamond Princess cruise from Bangkok to Anchorage.  After visiting Vietnam, Taiwan, China, S. Korea and Russia we stopped in Muroran, Japan.  When we arrived it was raining lightly.  We had that same weather in several other ports but it always seemed to stop raining by sail away time!  Before we arrived in Japan we were notified that we would have to turn off the ship’s satellite receiver in Japanese territorial waters.  So we had no internet or TV for 23 hours.   We also had to have our temperatures taken by thermal imaging before the ship arrived in Muroran.  They were very strict but as the ship’s comedian said “Hey, I thought WE won the war!” 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We had a nice welcome from the locals.

I noticed all this luggage under the tarp and wonder if some of our passengers planned to disembark before the long journey to Alaska.

Our friends from Myrtle Beach were with us, and took this photo of us in the terminal.

We didn’t have a tour to Sapporo but we did take a local bus into town so were dropped off at this little area with tents and vendors out, even in the rain.

We found one spot where you could get a beer and barbecue on a stick.  Another had samples of sake. 

There was one place you could try on kimonos, which this lady did.  We didn’t know her but she seemed happy to show everyone.

Displays of local handmade crafts 

I’m not sure what this building is but it's interesting looking.  Or the stones with Japanese writing on them. 

Later we walked around a bit and saw this temple on a side street and walked up to take a look.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We also saw this house with the name Honda on the front of it. 

If it hadn’t been raining we would have walked around more.  Time to head back to the Diamond Princess.  We noticed no business at the gas station on our way back, as seen from our bus window.

By sail away that afternoon the skies would clear as they usually did that week, and we enjoyed our last glimpse of land for a while.

We had 8 days until we reached Whittier, then a long day in Anchorage waiting for our 10:15 pm flight home.  On the way back across the Pacific we crossed the International Dateline and had two May 10ths.  We called it Groundhog Day.  Great memories from that cruise.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12