The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 16th,

kazu

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

A question for my Daily friends - remember, I'm a landlocked person from the "frozen tundra".  I often see people referring to soft shelled crabs; my question is do you eat the shell?  If they're soft shelled, is it difficult to remove the meat?  Crazy things my mind does on an early Friday morning.

We have hard shelled here, Gerry.  (That’s when they can legally be harvested) the meat is not hard to remove at all 😉 

I have had soft shell ones and no, you don’t eat the shell.  Soft shelled crabs are just crabs that have melted their exoskeleton to my knowledge.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

53 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I forgot to mention that for the first time ever, I saw an advertisement on the PE webcam before I was able to view the port - it was for Holland America Lines, so I didn't mind it at all, I'm just glad HAL is supporting the PTZ webcam!

And if you take a look at the Key West webcam, you'll see the Zaandam in port.

I also had this happen while watching the Rotterdam.

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

A question for my Daily friends - remember, I'm a landlocked person from the "frozen tundra".  I often see people referring to soft shelled crabs; my question is do you eat the shell?  If they're soft shelled, is it difficult to remove the meat?  Crazy things my mind does on an early Friday morning.

If you ever get a chance to taste them in season they are beyond delicious!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I just learned from the news channel that anti-corruption activist and opposition leader Alexei Navalny has died in jail.  Only recently he was seen on television laughing and joking, even though he'd been relocated to the most harsh of prisons.  You know what that means . . . . 😠

Sad - and sadly I do know what it means 😠 

• Like 17

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No grouches around here. I'll salute Elizabeth Peratrovich who worked for equality for Alaskan natives. Fish fry Friday is big around here. Some stopped when the health dept made them get a yearly certificate. I've noticed prices have gone up a lot; it used to be a good cheap meal. Ture quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine if someone else pays for it. I haven't been to Rockland yet, but it's the first stop on my fall NE/Canada cruise. 4 good days in history.

It's sunny and 31F now, but snow overnight. 2"-3" predicted. I wanted to go to the store this AM, but the contractor was here early to try to move the radiator out. It must be over 600 lbs and the 3 men struggled but got it out on the porch. Now the floor guy is here. So I'm in today and likely tomorrow. I slept better, as I took Benadryl for my injection last evening. 5 hours, woohoo. 

@Mr. Boston Bon Voyage!

@kazu Thanks for our start today.

@quilty964 I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise and thanks for sharing photos.

@superoma The first recipe appeals to me. Thanks for posting the recipes in Debbie's absence.

@rafinmd Thanks for the maps.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

It is 54°F and partly sunny here at 16.05pm.

Thank you for today's various reports.

Pauline came out with me today when I did several sales calls.

Afterwards we went for a meal.

My late mam was a cook supervisor on the school meals so often I would have school meals for lunch and dinner.

I hope everyone is well and having a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240216_155845.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Saturday 6:00 AM. At sea will arrive Napier early afternoon. Will do some wine tasting excursion and we’ll be in Napier til after nine tonight. Last day we will share port with Celebrity Edge.

We had a lovely and memorable visit to Tauranga yesterday which ended with an ala carte dinner onboard under the stars. 
Tauranga is the largest and busiest port in New Zealand. The country is the largest exporter of dairy products and logs. China is one of their main customers.

We saw many things on our tour yesterday from the first home of missionaries to beautiful scenic vistas and kiwi groves. One memorable event was watching the sheepdog’s move a large herd of sheep and then getting to pet these loyal and obedient dogs.

Coffee awaits. Thanks for all your post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.5a598cf2071777122eaa359d98c5bd12.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cfaca5a733989cdb8c0b9d6c1b1ffc56.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1540616360f183733d971a88d430d811.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1276030d2e412220e739a47d5d3b7d05.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f37498b3d4901d391390bfd181871cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da848aecc7c579f13e7fb33d6954f91b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d84cf31fef9bac49588ea9b0337fe253.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.66efdfec3f33b35d396ea03dcc9b4eef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.daf1c347cf79536a0112ac1aa1631285.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f604c47b356f71ab66d10ec690ea8438.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.619d8912adc9f3800e65d65b506c31bd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e823a3d89756bf332a41c5778637b93d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.605fbc95bee54103666b18c8d13f2d1a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e484931d4cd4f617418b67fea97b76b2.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

@ger_77 @kazu Soft shell crabs are delicious!  Blue crabs molt after the first full moon in May as they grow. Their shells are then “soft” to the touch.  People on the Eastern shore of MD keep live boxes waiting for the molt.  They are then “cleaned” by removing the gills and abdomen. Yes, you eat the”soft” shells.   Fried in butter, oh they are the taste of summer.  My favorite part is the crunchy legs.  You can buy them frozen but fresh is best.  In sushi, they are often deep fried in tempura batter and served as a spider roll.  To all my Daily friends, I’d be happy to prepare them for you ( and a crab cake) if you are ever in MD.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 8

25 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@ger_77 @kazu Soft shell crabs are delicious!  Blue crabs molt after the first full moon in May as they grow. Their shells are then “soft” to the touch.  People on the Eastern shore of MD keep live boxes waiting for the molt.  They are then “cleaned” by removing the gills and abdomen. Yes, you eat the”soft” shells.   Fried in butter, oh they are the taste of summer.  My favorite part is the crunchy legs.  You can buy them frozen but fresh is best.  In sushi, they are often deep fried in tempura batter and served as a spider roll.  To all my Daily friends, I’d be happy to prepare them for you ( and a crab cake) if you are ever in MD.

Thanks Tina.  I am happy to stand corrected 😉. I’ve only had the other crab.  Too bad I am on the New England/Canada cruise too early for the season 😔 

• Like 15

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Paul, and Eva.  I'll pass on the Fish Fry but celebrate the other two days, and had not previously heard of Elizabeth Peratrovich.  The Hackett quote was not the situation when I grew up.

I don't think Ive been to Rockland.  It's interesting that we've had significent February 16 events in 4 of the last 5 centuries.  Was the 18th century really that dull.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Honeydew Melon and Papaya and Surf and Turf (just the turf) as served on MS Zaandam February 16, 2012.

Nice to have BHB in 2 South Florida ports today, and again tomoreow.

Rotterdam in Fort Lauderdale:

rd0216.JPG.075adad0ee2af30633e4e03db262c

And Zaandam in Key West:

zdkw.JPG.f520c8d2d2d95d7af3352c51db8c9831.JPG

And tomorrow Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades and Zaandam in Miami.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Happy Friday to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. I am sometimes a grouch so maybe someone will do me a favor, interesting about Ms Peratrovich and I grew up eating fish on Fridays during Lent.  I think my parents listened to Buddy Hackett's advice.  I will pass on all the food and drink and haven't been to Rockland.  Wow - lots of days in history.

IMG_4206.thumb.JPG.c54edb07161ad13c5d26fec94b9c47a5.JPG

The last 36 hours have been a whirlwind of activity.  The steroid shot was a doozie.  Not as smooth as the first one. No effects yet but we will see.  I left late for the drive to CA (about 0130 Thursday morn) in a huge Hyundai Palisade.  The bells and whistles on that thing!  I personally did not like it and the mpg was horrible - ~24.  I missed my economy car - Toyota Camry - that gets 35-40!!  But I made it.  Checked into the hotel around 1500, dropped the car off and then walked back to the hotel.  I had eaten lunch earlier so just had some IPA and chips and guac for dinner.  I had already been up nearly 40 hours - with only a 3 hour nap before my drive - so I was tired and went to be by 1930.  Woke up this morning at 0800!!

IMG_4205.JPG.bc592ceac3e4dac0f2d923a4ba8c6b1a.JPG

I finally got my cabin assignment.  No upgrade but I went from an N to an I - from the bowels of the ship to the 6th deck.  Not bad and I do like insides so it is fine.  I fly out later today and arrive super early Sat morn.  No weather delays in the forecast so I should be fine.

IMG_4211.JPG.da5767390a6ac44c024cfd8c1014b07f.JPG

Bon Voyage @Mr. Boston Thoughts for all in the world; RIP Alexey Navalny.  Cheers to those celebrating.  

IMG_4212.JPG.fff536caf6ed15cde462aed3563e039b.JPG

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 19
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Happy Friday to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. I am sometimes a grouch so maybe someone will do me a favor, interesting about Ms Peratrovich and I grew up eating fish on Fridays during Lent.  I think my parents listened to Buddy Hackett's advice.  I will pass on all the food and drink and haven't been to Rockland.  Wow - lots of days in history.

IMG_4206.thumb.JPG.c54edb07161ad13c5d26fec94b9c47a5.JPG

The last 36 hours have been a whirlwind of activity.  The steroid shot was a doozie.  Not as smooth as the first one. No effects yet but we will see.  I left late for the drive to CA (about 0130 Thursday morn) in a huge Hyundai Palisade.  The bells and whistles on that thing!  I personally did not like it and the mpg was horrible - ~24.  I missed my economy car - Toyota Camry - that gets 35-40!!  But I made it.  Checked into the hotel around 1500, dropped the car off and then walked back to the hotel.  I had eaten lunch earlier so just had some IPA and chips and guac for dinner.  I had already been up nearly 40 hours - with only a 3 hour nap before my drive - so I was tired and went to be by 1930.  Woke up this morning at 0800!!

IMG_4205.JPG.bc592ceac3e4dac0f2d923a4ba8c6b1a.JPG

I finally got my cabin assignment.  No upgrade but I went from an N to an I - from the bowels of the ship to the 6th deck.  Not bad and I do like insides so it is fine.  I fly out later today and arrive super early Sat morn.  No weather delays in the forecast so I should be fine.

IMG_4211.JPG.da5767390a6ac44c024cfd8c1014b07f.JPG

Bon Voyage @Mr. Boston Thoughts for all in the world; RIP Alexey Navalny.  Cheers to those celebrating.  

IMG_4212.JPG.fff536caf6ed15cde462aed3563e039b.JPG

Have a great day everyone!!

We hope you have a safe trip and have a wonderful cruise! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

In my work life I spent a lot of time in the Eastern Shore of Maryland and my favorite day was when we visited Chrisfield not only to have lunch at the restaurant where the boats came in but to visit the street with the "peeler sheds".  One wholesaler also allowed locals to come in and buy fresh softies.  They came in 4 sizes, Hotels, Primes, Jumbos and Whales.  We had a second home in Rehoboth at the time so I could bring them home for dinner.  Late husband had a deft hand with MD seafood and he would fry them up for dinner.  I preferred the Primes as I didn't care for the green stuff inside, he had Jumbos.  Happy memories. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1