Flights by Celebrity

PatandStu

My ta is strongly urging us to use X flights - he says it will save us $$ and guarantee flights if delays happen. 
I’ve read horror stories on other lines’ forums. Of course, with 10 bad experiences, there may be 100 good ones not posted on forums. 
Does anyone have any feedback on X flights from Canada? Specifically Ottawa? Toronto? Montreal? 

On our last cruise there was one couple who had booked using Flights by Celebrity.  The good:  They got them to the cruise when their flight was delayed and paid for overnight hotel stays.  The bad:  That was 3 days into the cruise.  The couple did fly in a day early.  Another couple had to go fetch their luggage from the airport at another cruise stop.

Flight by Celebrity is a middle man.  Go to the Cruise Air forum.  They will give you a detailed answer.  I would book directly with the airlines myself.

Edited by NMTraveller

Now a days there’s not much cost savings with FBC. Main thing is that you don’t have to pay for the flights until final payment.  Make sure to read the terms and conditions about what FBC does and won’t do as for getting you to the ship. It’s not as simple. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

My ta is strongly urging us to use X flights - he says it will save us $$ and guarantee flights if delays happen. 
I’ve read horror stories on other lines’ forums. Of course, with 10 bad experiences, there may be 100 good ones not posted on forums. 
Does anyone have any feedback on X flights from Canada? Specifically Ottawa? Toronto? Montreal? 

To where?

We have used flights by Celebrity many times either connecting to Toronto or out of Toronto.   Reason….if flight delayed or mechanical issue, they will get you to the ship

We were booked to Dublin to board the ship.  Flight departed and 1/2 hr later we were heading back to Toronto due to a mechanical.   Since it was near midnight, there were no out bound flights.  We landed, I called FBC told them saga  and within 10 minutes, had a call back with reservations for the morning for a flight to Belfast where the ship would be docked. When we landed,  a private driver picked us up and took us to the ship.  Other passengers that had booked online or through a travel agency were out of luck.   Those passengers were really upset when told by airline ,their tickets/contract  were to Dublin not Belfast.  

So. We had no stress.  Mechanicals, delays and weather can be impactive on schedules

my suggestion if you book through Celebrity, at the time you book the flights, your rep can do seat selection.   Do it.  Calling later , the seat selection for us got charged in US dollars to a Canadian credit card, which meant currency conversion + fee.   

23 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

We have used flights by Celebrity before from Toronto & it turned out ok, but I always check the flight you want to take with the airline first to see what they charge then check the Flights by Celebrity rate.  It is usually very close.  I would be more inclined to use Flights by Celebrity if I was flying one way to Europe for a TA cruise or if it is winter here.  You don’t say where you are going to.  Unfortunately airlines change flights & if you are with Flights by Celebrity they give you what they want not necessarily why you want.  Good luck.

38 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

and guarantee flights if delays happen.

That's quite an overstatement from the TA. They will try to reaccommodate you. If there is a cancelation or delay your first contact should always be the airline not the third party. There is also no guarantee they get you to the ship. If there are no feasible flights or availability there is nothing they can do.

• Like 1

Flights.

Rules for no stress are simple.

Fly in a day ahead and fly out the afternoon at the end of your cruise.

Check prices with FBC and the airlines.

And do understand that FBC does not own or fly airplanes.  If There are delays they will do their best.  But we watched a couple miss their cruise out of LA.  FBC got them to their ship 5 days and three ports later via two flights and a 9 hour bus ride.

98% of the time works fine.  People do not post about that.

Again. where's your cruise?  Where are you?  Little or no reason to use FBC on domestic US flights.  Overseas can offer savings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatandStu said:

We are flying to Fort Lauderdale early November. And we plan on flying in a day ahead.

We use Flights by Celebrity all the time, to Ft Lauderdale leaving through Toronto or Detroit. We live in London, Ontario.

We’ve never really found a major difference in pricing vs the actual airline, but we have had 2 instances where prices had declined since our original booking, and as there are no fees to make changes prior to final payment, we were able to take advantage.

One of the difficulties we have had personally is when we fly with Westjet. We can book the seats on line prior to final payment when we book with Air Canada, but we have to have the Flights by Celebrity agent book the seats prior to final payment, when we book with Westjet.

We have traditionally flown first class to Ft Lauderdale from Toronto or Detroit. One of the advantages of booking Westjet from Toronto is, they have no first class section. Their “front of the plane” section is actually considered Premium Economy and as such, is more attractively priced vs Air Canada’s First Class.

Just an option.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

6 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Flying from Ottawa, Canada to Fort Lauderdale early November. 

Book a lot of times with FBC, but usually on flights to Europe, they can have deals 

flight to Florida they the the same as AT, AC or Westjet prices 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 9:28 AM, PatandStu said:

Flights by Celebrity failed to get us reasonable flights and accommodations, so we cancelled our cruise in last days of only losing small deposit.  We had a flight from PHL to Tampa with 4 hour layover! They "could not do any better and keep flights back from Barcelona".  SO what!  The BCN to PHL was 22 hour.  Flights by Celebrity was requested to do better for two months and 20+ calls.  Just could not believe how Flights by Celebrity seemed like no effort into accommodating our cruise. 

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

So can you book with flights by celebrity one year out then shop for better tickets then perhaps cancel the flights before final payment?  Could be a nice safety net.

Not always , there has been flights that you have to complete pay at time you book 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:14 PM, Sally & Dan said:

Flights by Celebrity failed to get us reasonable flights and accommodations, so we cancelled our cruise in last days of only losing small deposit.  We had a flight from PHL to Tampa with 4 hour layover! They "could not do any better and keep flights back from Barcelona".  SO what!  The BCN to PHL was 22 hour.  Flights by Celebrity was requested to do better for two months and 20+ calls.  Just could not believe how Flights by Celebrity seemed like no effort into accommodating our cruise. 

Am confused.  You seem to think FBC is a TA.  FBC is a consolidator that works with other consolidators to block groups of seats.  They actually have less choice than you when booking direct.

I check out fares using an app then call FBC.  If the fare is the same or close I book directly with the airline.  FBC can have great fares on International flights.  They often have problems dealing with changes in flight schedules.

If they have a good price I book.  I've had awful experience and no problems with them.  One thing I like... I can book really early business class and often get a good deal.  I can put this on hold and not pay until final payment.  I can watch airline until final payment and buy direct from the airlines if I choose and cancel the flight by celebrity one.  If I don't get a better deal by final payment, I still have the flight.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not always , there has been flights that you have to complete pay at time you book 

Our experience with Celebrity / RCCL (same flight booking service) is as follows:

• A number of flight options are provided.  You select flights based on schedule, travel category, and price.
  • No deposit or any financial transaction is required at the time of booking.  The full value of the selected fare is posted and attached to your cruise invoice resulting in a new balance due.
  • Seats can be selected at the time of booking.
  • The flights can be changed or canceled without penalty up until final payment for the cruise, which is also the full payment date for the flights. 
  • Lower fares can also be applied should that occur by way of canceling and rebooking through them.
  • Celebrity will also assist with rebooking and finding connections to the ship at its next port of call if need be for any flight issues related to the airlines. 
  • Domestic flight fares typically are at the same rates as the published fares by category from the airlines. International fares can be better than published rates.

This is how it has worked with us over numerous flights secured through them.  We have never had to pay for a flight at booking unless it coincides with final payment date with the cruise line.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:14 PM, Sally & Dan said:

Don't you book your own flights?  Are you saying your original flights were canceled?

Posted (edited)

I should have added to my last post that when a flight is booked an itinerary is sent via email confirming the flights combined with your cruise schedule as a single document.  Two confirmation numbers are issued with the booking - one from the flight service and one from the airlines.  You can use the airline confirmation number to access your booking directly with the airline.  The other to access your booking via the cruise line and flight service should any changes need to be made.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)

I have been looking for flights for a trip in November, SFO>FLL round trip. Comparing the same exact flights, X vs booking direct with United. The X flights are approximately $500.00 more expensive per person vs booking direct with United. Always pays to shop around.

Having said that, we have flown business class to Europe using Princess' EZAir several times and received very good pricing. Half the cost + of booking direct.

Edited by martinitime1

FIRST CRUISE

ASCENT MAR 3 - 10TH.

We booked our flight through celebrity, ground transportation and excursion. I have learned that they are all 3rd party company’s. 
i thought the flight was guaranteed that if u missed the boat because of flight delay or shuttle delay. They will assist u in finding another plane to the next port…..but they dont tell u …that u will pay for the flight….it is kind of misleading even when u read the fine print and when I talked to them when I book. They dont explain to u that it will be on ur dime..they just say they will take care of u and get u to the ship…….there was no advantage to book through them and we payed more to do so. 
in future I would get a hotel the night before so no stress about maybe missing the ship.
Their ground shuttle to port (third party) dropped us off at the wrong port, I realized it within a minute of getting off the shuttle and was able to flag him down to get back on board to be taken to the right port. Decided to take an uber on the way back to the airport - cheaper and better imo.