The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 26th, 2024

kazu

Today is Black Lives Matter Day, Carnival Day, and Carpe Diem Day

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value

Meal Suggestion for today - Fennel & Pork Stew
Drink of the Day - Hairball
Wine of the Day - August Forest 2021 Eritage Vineyard Syrah
Destination of the Day - Beagle Channel,

Today in History:
1797 Bank of England issues first £1 note
1885 Berlin Conference gives Congo to Belgium and Nigeria to Great Britain
1935 RADAR (Radio Detection and Ranging) first demonstrated by Robert Watson-Watt

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 02-27

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii 07:00 - 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 02-27

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Oosterdam

Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica 06:00 - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

Macapa, Brazil 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Timaru, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 02-28

Westerdam

Boracay Island, Caticlan, Philippines 08:00 - 15:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tokyo, Japan eta 02-

• Like 15
  • Thanks 18

sorry, the quote got cut off again --

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. -- C. S. Lewis

Greetings from Australia, on the way to Tasmania!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Monday!

A little warmer today with a high of 7°C (45°F).  It's beginning to feel like spring.

Black Lives Matter!  It's important to Seize the Day - everyday.

The quote is incomplete - the full quote is:  Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art ... it has no survival value;  rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.   C.S. Lewis   

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink and hope the wine is good.

I've never been to the Beagle Channel.

Prayers for our world. 

Have a great day, I hope it's the start of a great week.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

On my way to my Mohs surgery.  Will check in later.

Hairball cocktail:

1/3 glass of Guinness stout (or dark beer)
1/3 glass of woodpecker cider (or Hard Cider)
1 oz of Bushmills Irish Whiskey (or whiskey)

Fill 1/3 of a collins glass with cider, then float the guinness on top, to bring the volume to 2/3 full. Pour bushmill's irish whiskey in a separate shot glass. Drop the shot glass into the collins glass and slam it!

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.34.35 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

SusieKIslandGirl’s loss of her grade school friend

StLouisCruisers’ loss of her friend Bob on 2/23/2024

Summer Slope’s Mohs surgery today

Cruzin Terri with appointments at Mayo clinic Jacksonville today & tomorrow

Marshhawk and Catmando unable to work due to loss of internet

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized, to go to Rehab, with treatments

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

JazzyV with improved leg pain and numbness after spinal injection

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Wind Surf Mar 2 to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean

6 days for 0106 (Nieuw Statendam Mar 3 to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF

Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean, Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to Mar 3) 7d Bahamas & Perfect Day, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 18

Good morning.

Thank you for the daily reports.

It is raining and 41°F here.

All lives matter.

Friendship is important as long as they are true friends and not Fair weather friends.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone had a peaceful and happy weekend and are looking forward to the new week.

Screenshot_20240226_113347.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

On my way to my Mohs surgery.  Will check in later.

Hairball cocktail:

1/3 glass of Guinness stout (or dark beer)
1/3 glass of woodpecker cider (or Hard Cider)
1 oz of Bushmills Irish Whiskey (or whiskey)

Fill 1/3 of a collins glass with cider, then float the guinness on top, to bring the volume to 2/3 full. Pour bushmill's irish whiskey in a separate shot glass. Drop the shot glass into the collins glass and slam it!

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.34.35 AM.png

Best wishes for successful surgery.

• Like 14

Good morning friends!  It's about 40F here and we will have a very nice day with sunny skies and 71 degrees.  In a few days time we will experience rain along with a lot of others in the U.S. so I hope it doesn't stick around long.  We get enough rain in Georgia unlike parts of the U.S.

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  Three interesting days and a quote by C. S. Lewis to ruminate on.  No thanks to the menu suggestions, the yucky named cocktail, and the red wine. The pound note and radar seem very important to me and I know little about the Berlin conference. Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers to everyone on our Care list today and I've named names but included anyone who is shy and doesn't want to talk about their issues here.  No word from Annie @marshhawk and Chuck yet on their internet/phone system.  Prayers also for Bob's family in their time of grief.  I wish they were holding a service so we could go pay our respects, but will honor their decision and think of him privately.  Also praying for other family and friends, and the people of Israel, Ukraine, hostages held and our troops in the region.  🙏  Congrats to everyone cruising and celebrating their happy days whether birthdays, anniversaries, vacations, new jobs, graduations, what have you!🚢🎉🥂  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  I was happy to hear of some improvement in the pain and sleep patterns.  Keep up the great work!❤️

The port today is Beagle Channel located in the strait between Chile and Argentina.  That was the port before on May 7, 2021 and April 3, 2022.  We've been through there four times but once was at night.  Here are the links to the past dates.  

It looks like DS and DDIL made it safely to Madrid on a nonstop flight from Dallas, an overnight flight.  I'm already seeing photos on DDIL's Instagram account.  I was informed yesterday that Ren's FC Dallas team played Saturday and won 8 - 0.  Ren scored one goal with his head instead of his foot, aptly called a header.  I imagine I would have a headache after that but I'm old!  🤕  Good job, Ren!

Also, today is the day DGD Morgan will go in for her "deposition" on what occurred on Dec. 23.  I hope it doesn't bring back the nightmares.  She is still searching for an apartment she can afford on her own and we've told her to take as much time as she needs because we don't want more pressure on her right now.  I'm sending her my prayers and best wishes for a good day today.🥰

• Like 29

Beagle Channel

I always enjoy a cool weather cruise, especially if there are glaciers to view.  Our first time in Beagle Channel was on Star Princess in 2012 (Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco).  We were denied entry to Ushuaia's harbor due to the fact we had visited Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was the 30th anniversary year of their famous conflict.  Because of the harbor master's decision we spent the day cruising Beagle Channel in the daylight hours instead of evening and night time.  Two 2012 photos:

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

That was quite a collection of glacier ice right at sea level.  I'll bet it began calving shortly after to relieve the pressure of the encroaching ice.

Star Princess served coffee and hot chocolate on deck that day.  We could listen to the destination expert over the loud speakers out there or slip inside to warm up.

Next visit to Beagle Channel would have been our 2015 Ruby Princess cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. 49 days).  This time we were able to stop at Ushuaia, so our trip through the channel seeing the glaciers took place after departure.  We got up and down from the dinner table (late dining) and ran outside to take photos every 10 minutes or so.  Here is one of them.

This glacier and waterfall photo was taken at nearly 9 pm.

One exciting visit to Beagle Channel was our third time there on the Seabourn Quest in 2016 (Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina).  The day was Christmas Eve. Here’s the same glacier and waterfall, seen a year and a half later on the Quest in the early morning hours.

Hopefully not much change! 

Photo taken from Seabourn video

Hot chocolate was consumed on my balcony this cruise!  Along with a delicious muffin from Seabourn Square.

Final visit was on Coral Princess in January 2020 (my latest visit there).  That one was from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  We left Ushuaia around 6 or 6:30 pm and 12 hours later we were viewing Cape Horn.  I have NO photos of the Beagle Channel from that cruise.  The last photo I took in Ushuaia was of another ship leaving for an expedition cruise to Antarctica.  In fact, it is actually named Expedition!  Cruisemapper.com says it hold 134 passengers and is located in the Mediterranean today.

A little over 12 hours later we were at Cape Horn.

And here is the albatross monument at Cape Horn instead. 

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from the Amazon River delta on our way to Macapá for a service stop. Everyone’s life matters and it is so important to Seize the Day!  Sometimes I think my life is a carnival!  The meal sounds delicious but not the drink 🤢. I do like a good Syrah. A quote to ponder. And history days which are interesting. 

@summer slope I hope you have a successful surgery. 

Yesterday was the King Neptune ceremony! a fun and enjoyable time was had by all!!

IMG_5092.thumb.jpeg.c447d48a4588774088484a71eeb2cd9d.jpeg

IMG_5091.thumb.jpeg.f1f9cfedad73bc46789ff1fcd8d5838d.jpeg

IMG_5098.thumb.jpeg.fd711942bb956f07e833108d91b23f69.jpeg

IMG_5103.thumb.jpeg.6727cb690ee0d824af68ad8e7cf809b8.jpeg

IMG_5102.thumb.jpeg.aff1bce9916f89026fa8e3af2ad100f7.jpeg

IMG_5079.thumb.jpeg.3f343bcdbab39e34404c064ff65baf13.jpeg

We won’t cross the equator until later on today; we are approximately 0 degrees 17 min 26 sec N presently. 

image.thumb.jpg.735b0696e49670657201460ae3d75e79.jpg

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating!  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Happy Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Chilly this morning but expecting a high of 57 with sun. 

Working on grading assignments today. will be an all-day endeavor for four classes. 

Might try and get Fancy to the park today. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

mondays - Imgflip

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui!  Roy, thank you for our maps. It is a lovely 43 this morning, but will reach the low 70s. 
IMG_2608.jpeg.dd20fbfed4916c259739877cdcedb575.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I am thrilled that you are showing improvement each day. I pray that you will soon be able to put this behind you. 

Other than Bindi walks & chores, I am just going to take it easy. This is the first cold I have had in almost 9 years, so I can’t complain. 

Bike week starts this coming weekend….

IMG_2605.jpeg.4ca43181b2b07161aa9faffde4c07a53.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg.90050da7a4139c4b401c4881cb48b210.jpeg

IMG_2395.jpeg.bc1ce8407d412c86ec9684a0eadb6c53.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

August Forest 2021 Eritage Vineyard Syrah

“Soft, round and generous” - sounds delightful. This wine from Walla Walla won a Double Gold medal at the San Francisco Chronicles 2023 competition. The “soft” description intrigues me, since I find many Syrah’ a bit too bold for me. A bit elusive and at the top of my budget - I found it online for $46.00.

Owen Bargreen, critic 92 points

The 2021 August Forest Syrah comes from the Eritage Vineyard as this wine saw 41% stem inclusion and was unfined and unfiltered. Soft, round and generous, this delivers a silky texture with coffee ground favors alongside potpourri, allspice, black cherry compote and smoked meat accents. This is exceedingly delicious stuff to savor now and over the next eight years. Drink 2023-2031- 92

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 5

Happy Monday everyone. 

My best to you, wherever you are, may it be onboard a BHB or elsewhere including home.

Another poster indicates cruise business is good with most of March sold-out. Those post covid days of half full ships at low prices seem long gone.

We did the Beagle back in 2016 onboard the Zaandam. Great trip despite some cold and cloudy days. 

Remembering our Mediterranean cruise two years ago with calls to Monaco and Nice.

20240221_142142.jpg

20240221_113450.jpg

20240215_114810.jpg

20240214_105700.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie, and best wishes Dixie with your surgery.  I think Carnival Day may be a holdover from a year when Lent came earlier.  Carpe Diem Day and Black Lives Matter Day are certainly worth celebrating.  

I think I disagree with the quote, I think one’s state of mind and outlook on life have a significant effect on survival.  

Not sure I can celebrate colonialism but the Pound Note and RADAR are certainly worth celebrating.

I’ve been through the Beagle Channel several times. MV Multinovski in 1997, Crystal Symphony in 2016, Zaandam in 2017, and Prinsendam in 2019.

I will probably pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rigatroni with Chicken Meatballs, and Sliced Fruit Plate as served on MS Prinsendam February 26, 2019.

dishes26.jpg

It was also probably the Antarctica Penguin was displayed, this time for the Mariner Medallion Ceremony:

penguin26.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's about 40F here and we will have a very nice day with sunny skies and 71 degrees.  In a few days time we will experience rain along with a lot of others in the U.S. so I hope it doesn't stick around long.  We get enough rain in Georgia unlike parts of the U.S.

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  Three interesting days and a quote by C. S. Lewis to ruminate on.  No thanks to the menu suggestions, the yucky named cocktail, and the red wine. The pound note and radar seem very important to me and I know little about the Berlin conference. Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers to everyone on our Care list today and I've named names but included anyone who is shy and doesn't want to talk about their issues here.  No word from Annie @marshhawk and Chuck yet on their internet/phone system.  Prayers also for Bob's family in their time of grief.  I wish they were holding a service so we could go pay our respects, but will honor their decision and think of him privately.  Also praying for other family and friends, and the people of Israel, Ukraine, hostages held and our troops in the region.  🙏  Congrats to everyone cruising and celebrating their happy days whether birthdays, anniversaries, vacations, new jobs, graduations, what have you!🚢🎉🥂  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  I was happy to hear of some improvement in the pain and sleep patterns.  Keep up the great work!❤️

The port today is Beagle Channel located in the strait between Chile and Argentina.  That was the port before on May 7, 2021 and April 3, 2022.  We've been through there four times but once was at night.  Here are the links to the past dates.  

It looks like DS and DDIL made it safely to Madrid on a nonstop flight from Dallas, an overnight flight.  I'm already seeing photos on DDIL's Instagram account.  I was informed yesterday that Ren's FC Dallas team played Saturday and won 8 - 0.  Ren scored one goal with his head instead of his foot, aptly called a header.  I imagine I would have a headache after that but I'm old!  🤕  Good job, Ren!

Also, today is the day DGD Morgan will go in for her "deposition" on what occurred on Dec. 23.  I hope it doesn't bring back the nightmares.  She is still searching for an apartment she can afford on her own and we've told her to take as much time as she needs because we don't want more pressure on her right now.  I'm sending her my prayers and best wishes for a good day today.🥰

Well done Ren and good wishes for Morgan.

The soccer balls these days are exceptionally light Sandi.

When I started playing 60 years ago the balls were leather with lace ups.

When the balls got wet when it was raining they were extremely heavy and gave you a headache when you headed them.

A lot of former pro footballers in their 60s and 70s developed Dementia through repeatedly heading these balls.

Screenshot_20240226_123729.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone from sunny Ft. Lauderdale. We disembarked Rotterdam yesterday and spent last night at the Riverside Hotel as airfares were much less expensive today.  Rotterdam was a lovely ship with a few misses for us the main one being the smoking in the casino that permeated a lot of the surrounding areas on decks 3 and 2.  Didn’t care for the promenade and the elevator wait times were a lot longer than we’ve experienced on other HAL ships.  First world problems for sure.  

Thanks for today’s daily report, recipes and lists.  Nice days to celebrate today, we should always try and carpe diem if possible.  The complete quote is very true, friendship does and give life color/colour.  The meal suggestion sounds tasty but even if the drink were I’ll skip it due to its name.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

Edited by Mr. Boston
Correction
  • Like 26

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Well done Ren and good wishes for Morgan.

The soccer balls these days are exceptionally light Sandi.

When I started playing 60 years ago the balls were leather with lace ups.

When the balls got wet when it was raining they were extremely heavy and gave you a headache when you headed them.

A lot of former pro footballers in their 60s and 70s developed Dementia through repeatedly heading these balls.

Screenshot_20240226_123729.jpg

Wow, that soccer ball does look pretty lethal.  I wouldn't want to hit my head on that, and I'm sorry to hear about the dementia cases that they feel could have resulted or worsened due to head injury.

I forgot to mention that DS said Ren and 5 other teammates trained with the FC Dallas professional team Sunday morning.  He said they scrimmaged the pros with the academy teams (youth like Ren).  He said Ren did well and it sounds like they all had fun.  I knew you would enjoy hearing about it.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, that soccer ball does look pretty lethal.  I wouldn't want to hit my head on that, and I'm sorry to hear about the dementia cases that they feel could have resulted or worsened due to head injury.

I forgot to mention that DS said Ren and 5 other teammates trained with the FC Dallas professional team Sunday morning.  He said they scrimmaged the pros with the academy teams (youth like Ren).  He said Ren did well and it sounds like they all had fun.  I knew you would enjoy hearing about it.

I'm delighted to hear Rens progress and mixing and playing with pros will help him enormously as well as getting recognised.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1