Can prepaid gratuities be removed once you're on the ship?

29 minutes ago, AuDArtiste said:

Here we go again with calling people who can afford to travel at these increased fares, cheapskates...

And nowhere did I call for a boycott. I merely pointed out the economics. And again, do away with the auto gratuities and raise the fares....all for it. Let the free market decide but we know royal will not do that

Yes, demand is very high right now but like anything else, demand will drop again

14 hours ago, AuDArtiste said:

My understanding is that they can see who is and isn't prepaying the tipping, or at least some can see the list and they make sure the non-tippers are known by all who your tip is shared with. I have heard it called the crew mafia. If you want extras there just won't be any available, but your neighbors will all get them because they are tipping. 

Pretty sure you have incorrect information!  There is no crew mafia.  Nobody is getting or not getting extras based on whether they pay their daily gratuities.  Passengers are treated equally whether you hand an envelope of cash to the crew members or leave auto grats in place.   The staff is more concerned about getting a 10 on the survey, and wouldn’t take a chance on not giving 100% service to passengers and having that disgruntled passenger give them a bad score.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hova said:

Pretty sure you have incorrect information!  There is no crew mafia.  Nobody is getting or not getting extras based on whether they pay their daily gratuities.  Passengers are treated equally whether you hand an envelope of cash to the crew members or leave auto grats in place.   The staff is more concerned about getting a 10 on the survey, and wouldn’t take a chance on not giving 100% service to passengers and having that disgruntled passenger give them a bad score.   

Furthermore, the crew want the cash, not the Ponzi scheme of the auto gratuity 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2024 at 12:55 PM, rolloman said:

Almost" Mandatory Tipping on a cruise ship is annoying, it did not used to be this way. We  literally put money in an envelope on the last day of the cruise and dispersed accordingly. Clearly the change made many moons ago to the current structure is a boon for the cruise lines. However, to me, even more annoying, are the Blow-Hards on this site who preach no amount is enough to throw the crew. Funny thing is, over the years I have made good friends with crew and each of them tells the story of doing quite well. So much so they Soley provide back to their homelands not just for immediate family but extended family. I personally leave the tips in place and reward extra "at my choosing" but I don't hesitate to light someone up on a survey if necessary. But for those of you who like to tell the tale of how you trot around the ship (like the scene on the movie Dumb and Dumber) wiping your nose with hundred dollar bills and flicking them in the air...by all means, continue to have at it!

We pre pay tips and feel that is enough. If someone goes over and above ( as in goes out of their way to help us with something) then we'll thank them with a tip. But I'm not giving a tip for every drink in my package that I was already charged a gratuity fee for when I purchased it.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Now, whether or not someone should be making $20 an hour to hand burgers across a counter is a whole different matter. AND,  even at that pay rate they still have a tip jar on the counter.

My grandson just graduated from HS and works at Wendy's here in CA.  I asked him what thought about the new $20 an hour rule.  I was surprised by his answer. He said it's stupid because he believes it's going to lead to the closure of his restaurant and he'll have to find a new job. He's been there for over 2 years now. He needs part-time flexible work because he is just starting college and this is the closest to home so it's really convenient.

He said "I'll take the money as long as it lasts but I don't think I'm worth $20 an hour and the potheads I work with who are stoned everyday, all day at work definitely don't deserve it."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, QTBabyNurse said:

What a great post! Totally agree! 👏

In addition, cruise passengers who think that the cruise line should just take some of their profits and pay their service staff a livable wage and not rely on tips, clearly have no idea how businesses work. These must be the same people who thought paying fast food workers $15-$20/hour would be a great idea. Now you're paying $24 for a single fast food meal at Five Guys! Businesses are NOT going to eat into their profits to pay low level workers a lot of money. People advocating for this are just very naïve. The costs WILL be passed onto the consumer as always. That's just a fact. So unless you want to pay double for your cruise fare... be grateful for the tipping policy as it stands. 

My view is that if you can afford a cruise, cough up the extra cash for tips and don't stiff the staff who serve you..in your feeble attempt to prove a point.

Tell me you don’t understand business with saying “I don’t understand business”

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

My grandson just graduated from HS and works at Wendy's here in CA.  I asked him what thought about the new $20 an hour rule.  I was surprised by his answer. He said it's stupid because he believes it's going to lead to the closure of his restaurant and he'll have to find a new job. He's been there for over 2 years now. He needs part-time flexible work because he is just starting college and this is the closest to home so it's really convenient.

He said "I'll take the money as long as it lasts but I don't think I'm worth $20 an hour and the potheads I work with who are stoned everyday, all day at work definitely don't deserve it."

He isn’t wrong, businesses are closing at a historically high rate. The CEO of McDonalds stated in their quarterly earnings call that they were downgrading their annual forecast by a considerable margin. 

On 2/28/2024 at 12:28 PM, sheezsmith said:

So all the crew that clean up after you, hallways, stairways, restrooms etc get nothing, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to pay all of the crew a small gratuity!! 

Agreed!   Even before boarding people want to remove tips????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

He isn’t wrong, businesses are closing at a historically high rate. The CEO of McDonalds stated in their quarterly earnings call that they were downgrading their annual forecast by a considerable margin. 

And that is how businesses works. Provide a product that people want and at a price they are willing to pay. If you can't then you close and some entropreuer will fill the void.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Furthermore, the crew want the cash, not the Ponzi scheme of the auto gratuity 

And, what is really awesome is how their faces light up when you directly hand them cash.

Edited by footzz
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, footzz said:

And, what is really awesome is how their faces light up when you directly hand them cash.

Zero concern of mine 

left $60 for my room steward this week mid way through the cruise; left it on the dresser with his name, I never saw him receive it. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

On 2/29/2024 at 8:31 AM, MommaBear55 said:

The minimum pay scale for tipped employees are is $2 to $3 an hour, so at $3 an hour, just over $1000 a month for 84 hours a week. I don't think you would be able to cruise as much as you brag about on that wage. 

In the countries where they live that would probably put them in the top 25% of citizens.  Comparing here to there, without understanding how much better here is is a sign of complete cluelessness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/1/2024 at 8:20 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Your math is just a bit off.  $18 a day is $6750, not over $50k

Times two for most cabins, times more with multiple people in the cabin.  I think the stewards (god bless them) do 10 to 15 cabins daily (probably more).  So 20 times 6750 is a pretty good salary by any standard.  I can’t believe how few people understand math!🤣  Sorry, since you are my TA!  And you are awesome.  Have a great cruise.

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Times two for most cabins, times more with multiple people in the cabin.  I think the stewards (god bless them) do 10 to 15 cabins daily (probably more).  So 20 times 6750 is a pretty good salary by any standard.  I can’t believe how few people understand math!🤣  Sorry, since you are my TA!  And you are awesome.  Have a great cruise.

Our last cabin steward had 26 staterooms.  Dont forget, they get a fraction of the $18.  Moat goes to dining and "other"

Thanks.  Escaped the outlet mall on the way for under $200.  My daughter spent the most and she's not even with us....Vikki FaceTime her from the stores.  I made out okay.  Thr Sperry store was closing and all shoes were $29.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:40 PM, xpcdoojk said:

That money doesn't just go to the stewards. It goes to everyone involved in your service and the service of all the people that you are paying for. They are not making the whole amount. That is why the gratuities are auto charged so they can be divided between everyone and the stewards don't just get it all. More importantly, it gets divided fairly. 

What I don't understand is why you would go cruising or even out to dinner if you can't afford the gratuity. By the way, I would wipe that laughing face off at people not understanding the math, because you are the one that doesn't understand that $20 x 6,750.00 is completely wrong. Maybe you need to learn about decimal points and how to write numbers. I have dyscalculia (dyslexia with numbers) and I can put the decimals in the right place.  You also don't understand that the money is divided between a bunch of people. They get a small bonus. They aren't getting rich cleaning up after your disgusting self or anyone else's. There is no way I would take a job cleaning up after people, that is just gross! These people deserve a lot more than they are making!!!!!!!!!! 

All of your arguments just seem selfish to me. Yes, these people may come from other countries, but they work very long hours and 7 days a week. Several of the performers who work on the cruise ship have much better benefits, and a lot fewer hours state that the service people work 7 days a week. Even then if you look up a professional ice skater on a cruise ship's income it is only about 33,000 dollars a year. Performers are generally treated like officers have more access to more areas, and are allowed to get off the ship in ports when they are not working. The people we are talking about are not allowed off the ship probably because they don't get days off. They are only allowed in crew areas except when performing their jobs, and they go for months at a time without seeing their families. Yes, they signed up for this job and the pay, with the knowledge that there would be tips added. Just like when I used to serve drinks for a living. I didn't take the job because I wanted the paycheck. My paycheck was less than my tips which is not true in cruise ship work as they get a small stipend at the end of each cruise. 

If the cruise ships get rid of the tips, your $5,000 cruise will be probably closer to $8000.00. It will cost you substantially more money. Your service probably won't be as good, because as someone who has worked for tips and then on commission for most of their adult life, I have seen the difference between salary/hourly paid people and commission/tips paid people in customer service. Working for commissions my biggest frustration was salary workers because they would get paid regardless on Friday, so they didn't care if it got done this week, month, or even ever. They got paid either way. 

39 minutes ago, AuDArtiste said:

What I don't understand is why you would go cruising or even out to dinner if you can't afford the gratuity.

Who here said they can't afford the gratuity?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, AuDArtiste said:

They aren't getting rich cleaning up after your disgusting self or anyone else's. There is no way I would take a job cleaning up after people, that is just gross! These people deserve a lot more than they are making!!!!!!!!!! 

All of your arguments just seem selfish to me.

Just three post into your CC membership and you ramp up personal attacks.

Take it from someone who has been given timeouts by the moderator for much less.

Your posts might get deleted and you will get a warning if you are lucky.

People cannot read your opinion if it disappears.

The original question was can pre paid be removed. As I understand it no they can't. 

However, daily gratuities charged on board can be removed for any or no reason (it's your choice). This is done by going to guest services at anytime on any day of your trip and requesting they be removed. The most anyone ever asks is if there was something wrong. And nobody has asked even that for a long time. Just say you are handling your tips with cash directly. 

As far as anyone pointing out that cash directly leaves out behind the scenes people. Well more of your cruise fare should go to them and less to share holders. 

1 minute ago, DennysDad said:

As far as anyone pointing out that cash directly leaves out behind the scenes people. Well more of your cruise fare should go to them and less to share holders. 

The execs at RCI could kick in a few buck from their millions, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 2:14 PM, travelberlin said:

As far as I understand you can get them removed once onboard. You will have to tell them the reason.

No reason required

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Who here said they can't afford the gratuity?

Nobody. Just an angry mis-directed rant🤪

1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

The original question was can pre paid be removed. As I understand it no they can't. 

However, daily gratuities charged on board can be removed for any or no reason (it's your choice). This is done by going to guest services at anytime on any day of your trip and requesting they be removed. The most anyone ever asks is if there was something wrong. And nobody has asked even that for a long time. Just say you are handling your tips with cash directly. 

hey my wife is a shareholder! They don't often pay dividends.  So, none of it is rolling to the shareholders.  It is rolling to senior management and the ship building and provisioning companies.  I just looked back at the dividend history or Royal Caribbean on their financial page, easy to find out.  She bought the stock sometime prior to their listed dividend history which goes back 9/16/2003.  She bought 100 shares, I think it was slightly more, but for simplicity sake we will keep it 100 (since my obviously limited math skills are already in question!😂) I think the purchase price was around $55 a share and I think she bought it around 2000.  So, 24 years ago she invested $5500.  I bought Carnival at the same time for the same reason to get shareholder benefits (that was a bad investment plus I found I don’t fit on their ships).  So, I added up all of the dividends she received on that 100 shares.  It came to $1703 on a $5500 dollar investment after 24 years.  If she had bought a CD paying 1% a year she would have earned about $1500.  So, clearly we are not getting rich on those dividends being paid to shareholders.  They haven’t issued a single dividend since Covid.  They have paid for a bunch of new ships.  

I think tipping in general has become a cash cow for companies (not necessarily for the workers), I had breakfast at First Watch this morning for two, it came to $36, when you pay with credit card, it offers you three easy options 20, 22 and 25%. I am from the USA, and I grew up thinking that 15% was a standard tip, and 20% was exceptional.  Almost all companies are using these terminals now and we are all tipping for things we never tipped for before.  I think Royal has figured out that tips are a cash cow for them as they try to climb out from under a lot of debt, back to that not paying dividends thing again.  O, I chose 20 because I am too lazy to do the custom tip, but we all should take the time because eventually they will replace 20 with 25 or 30%.

JC

• Like 1