How Will Labadee Hold Up?

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

You act as if Labadee is heavily fortified 😁

Predicting what can happen in riots and coups and the breakdown of law and order is just unpredictable.

No. But you act like it's a video game. If I were RCG, I'd get the h... out of there at this point for general purposes. I can think of a lot of ways to take out a ship in Labadee. I just don't see a reason to do it. Especially if your aim is to replace the Haitian government. Anything you do that detracts from that aim is a waste of energy and money. And the Haitian government is in Port-au-Prince. Hours away on bad roads.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, markeb said:

No. But you act like it's a video game. If I were RCG, I'd get the h... out of there at this point for general purposes. I can think of a lot of ways to take out a ship in Labadee. I just don't see a reason to do it. Especially if your aim is to replace the Haitian government. Anything you do that detracts from that aim is a waste of energy and money. And the Haitian government is in Port-au-Prince. Hours away on bad roads.

And you act like there are only several players with one unified purpose...

Looting during wartime/rioting is not unheard of.  

A short boat ride away.

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

There would be no goal in taking Labadee.  What was the goal of the Somali pirates?  Money and ransom...

So piracy made perfectly good sense for them. They were after money.

From all appearances, the Haitian "opposition, crooks, whatever" are actually looking to replace the Haitian government. Attacking Labadee would be a distraction from that goal. And likely to provoke regional and international intervention where right now that's unlikely. Without US hostages in Haiti, how long do you think it would take to create the political will in the US to intervene in Haiti? Attacking a US corporate leased space with US citizen tourists would change that calculus. Remember US med students in Grenada? If their goals change to purely money, that changes the calculus.

Again, the right answer for RCG is probably to get out of there for now. 

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

Labadee has no defense. There is no need to charge up the beach with Amtracks and guns blazing. Just walk up the beach brandishing some weapons will do the trick.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 9:10 AM, gold1953 said:

well  we don't take cash and credit cards with us in Labadee, probably take phones but many are locked .. so slimmer pickins

How much are you worth for your family when they take you hostage? Also, State Department says risk of sexual violence, if you’re fine with that then you should go

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Old and Wise said:

How much are you worth for your family when they take you hostage? Also, State Department says risk of sexual violence, if you’re fine with that then you should go

I see people are creating new handles to post the same old FUD. 

• Like 3

How many on this thread have an itin stopping at Labadee?  I think it was just a few..not me!  

As things remain in flux ...itin may change... another fun day at Sea!

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

How many on this thread have an itin stopping at Labadee?  I think it was just a few..not me!  

I do but it's in December, I'm not really stressing about it right now because either its going to settle down or itinerary change the way I see it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hcat said:

I do on RC in April. Celebrity doesn’t have it on any itineraries until October. This port is used far more frequently by RC than Celebrity. 

25 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I do on RC in April. Celebrity doesn’t have it on any itineraries until October. This port is used far more frequently by RC than Celebrity. 

Do you plan on posting a “Live From Haitian Gang Captivity” thread? 🤣

• Haha 7

In my experience Celebrity is very concerned with the health and safety of their passengers and crew. They won't stop at Labadee there is a chance for health and safety issues.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Hopefully danger to Labadee isn't as great as many on here fear.  But with US is sending in additional troops to safeguard embassy and evacuate non-essential staff why would Royal take the risk?

That's the real point. Is it likely to affect Labadee? Probably not. But probably is just that, not a certainty.  If nothing else it gives a bad perception that Royal is putting profit over safety, especially when the US government is warning all citizens to leave immediately.  It doesn't say, unless its a cruise ship stop!  Many posts here are always talking about the main point of these groups is taking down current leadership. Yes there is an intent to do that. But we are talking about thousands of prisoners.  Does anyone with any smarts actually believe they are all worried about that only and they have no intent to commit any other crime?!? If you do I have a bridge to sell you, as the saying goes.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Medjet Horizon does have coverage for this.  24/7 Crisis Response to Kidnap for Ransom, Disappearance, Wrongful Detention, Blackmail & Extortion

interesting...is that an add on  rider for an  extra charge?.

.Wonder what is included in crisis response...?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hcat said:

interesting...is that an add on  rider for an  extra charge?.

.Wonder what is included in crisis response...?

It is a yearly medical/medical evacuation plan.  Others had mentioned it,  so I went to go take a look.  There were two levels of coverage.  The higher level had ambulance up to 150 miles and other premium coverage.  That is where I found this.

I also wonder what is covered in crisis response...  The best that I could figure out is that it provided counseling and advice for additional services such as evac.  

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Many posts here are always talking about the main point of these groups is taking down current leadership. Yes there is an intent to do that. But we are talking about thousands of prisoners.  Does anyone with any smarts actually believe they are all worried about that only and they have no intent to commit any other crime?!? 

Gangsters do what gangsters do especially when police are not around to stop them.

"the transitional presidential council will operate by majority vote and be made up of seven voting members and two nonvoting members. The latter group will include one member of civil society and another of the interfaith community. It will exclude anyone under indictment or U.N. sanctions, or anyone who has been convicted of a crime."

Yeah, brilliant plan. I am sure BBQ and his gangster criminal gunmen will agree to this and comply. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What will be the deciding fact ? 

RCG insurance company , if the insurance company think it too dangerous they will pull the insurance and the cruise company will stop going there 😁

Does the insurance even cover such a situation.  I know that most of the insurance I have seen has exclusions for insurrection, terrorism, etc.  At what point does the insurance company say it was negligence due to the level 4 State department travel warning and not cover claims?

Edited by NMTraveller

Interestingly RC has started cancelling a lot of excursions for the next couple weeks in Labadee (jet skis, kayaks, snorkeling, boat rides, etc.) yet hasn’t cancelled any stops. The Adventure of the Seas is there now. 

on line report:

Ariel Henry became Haiti’s acting leader in July 2021 when Colombian mercenaries assassinated the country’s president, Jovenel Moise.

Henry’s government was widely viewed as corrupt and also illegitimate because it repeatedly failed to hold elections. Haiti has not had an election since 2016.

Under the 74-year-old’s rule, gangs seized control of much of the country and regularly terrorised civilians, cutting off food and fuel supplies and blocking roads. Armed criminals now control 80% of the capital, Port Au Prince. Nearly half the population – or 4.35 million Haitians – regularly go hungry.

(The Guardian)

As always the people of Haiti suffer, no matter who runs things!