Has drink price limit for HIA been increased yet?

I don’t think it’s going to happen this time.

Looking at the latest drink package flyer posted by crew news… I see that some drinks previously covered by the standard package are now listed as Elite drinks (looking at you Lemon Drop) 😞

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Beverage-Packages-2024.pdf

• Like 1

This appears to be happening industry-wide.  Just watched a YouTube vlog on the guys trying to get ANY cocktail drink on Celebrity that was IN the standard package.  They bounced to every bar and found only ONE mixed drink.  Crazy.

• Like 2

So what is the purpose of a drink package if everything has an extra charge?  Will this hurt the sale of drink packages?  I would rather have them limit the number of drinks per day than limit the price.

• Like 4

There still are a lot of drinks that you can get with the basic drink package. Other lines that I’ve been on had a somewhat limited choices with their basic package. I actually think it’s still a pretty good amount of choice compared to other lines. 

3 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

So what is the purpose of a drink package if everything has an extra charge?  Will this hurt the sale of drink packages?  I would rather have them limit the number of drinks per day than limit the price.

Well, it does reduce the price of the drink for you, as you only pay the difference now. So instead of paying $15 plus gratuity, you only pay $4 plus gratuity.  PLUS the Signature and Elite package already limit your alcoholic drinks to 15 per day.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Everything doesn't have an extra charge...far from it. Yes, some mixed drinks do. 

Yes, you may be happy to have fewer drinks in order to save a little money...I doubt you are speaking for anything near the majority...or you could just upgrade to the Elite Package, and probably come close to breaking even...depending on exactly what, and how much, you drink.

I don't drink a lot but the reason I get the drink package is for the convenience of not having a lot of extra charges.  It defeats the purpose to have extra charges to get the drinks I want like a basic pina colada.  Also, many of the glasses of wine are over the limit.  Maybe they are trying to get everyone to upgrade to the elite package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shipmeoff! said:

I don’t think it’s going to happen this time.

Looking at the latest drink package flyer posted by crew news… I see that some drinks previously covered by the standard package are now listed as Elite drinks (looking at you Lemon Drop) 😞

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Beverage-Packages-2024.pdf

Oh no!  Please tell me that's not true about my beloved lemon 🍋 drop. 

I have been on the NS for a week.  I usually drink Aperol Spritz, Grey Goose and soda or Domaine Ste Michelle Sparkling Brut.  None have an upcharge.  

• Like 1

There are still plenty of drinks that can be had for $11 or less and the recent price increase was pretty modest compared to what we just experienced on Celebrity. Their limit is $10 and there’s basically nothing that can be had for that so their basic drink package is just “$10 off any drink”. Their “elegance” wines that used to be $10 a glass as recently as January are now $17. So unless you have their premium drink package you pay $8.40 per glass for wine that used to be included in the package. Many wines were over $20 a glass as were many premium cocktails. It’s inflated way beyond inflation rates and by comparison HAL is a bargain. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

How much does it cost to upgrade to the elite drink package?  Is it worth it?

AFAIK, it is still $10+1.8=$11.80pppd and all adults in cabin must upgrade for the entire cruise on the first day before using the HIA/Signature plan. If 3 (really 2.5) of each of your drinks per day are $15, it pays for itself. But it would take 10 drinks at $12 (pppd) to break even. Every day, port days included.

I will just put up with the messy accounting.

• Like 2

The terms and conditions on the latest document also say 

“Fresh Squeezed and Cold Pressed Juices are excluded from all packages.” 

Thank you again CrewNews for all your work keeping the beverage information highway flowing. 

• Like 1

At some point, HAL, and Princess by extension just need to make their all inclusive plans to include just beer and house wine only to get around all this and maybe a handful of simple cocktails to get around all this.  In HAL's case, this $11 limit is pretty annoying when many mixed drinks cost more than that.  In Princess' case, the price keeps going up and up but you are getting the same thing - I think they need a "lower" tier that includes Wifi, gratuities, and beer, soda, and house wine.

3 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

At some point, HAL, and Princess by extension just need to make their all inclusive plans to include just beer and house wine only to get around all this and maybe a handful of simple cocktails to get around all this.  In HAL's case, this $11 limit is pretty annoying when many mixed drinks cost more than that.  In Princess' case, the price keeps going up and up but you are getting the same thing - I think they need a "lower" tier that includes Wifi, gratuities, and beer, soda, and house wine.

I don't think another tier is the answer. Just think of the signature package as entry level. Plenty of choices within that package. For those with particular must haves, upgrade to the Elite package or pay the overage. It's really not that complicated.

• Like 2

From the HIA info on my upcoming cruise:  “Signature Beverage Package part of Offer has a daily limit of 15 beverages and only includes beverages priced at $11.00 or less. Guest cannot pay the difference between limit and beverage amount.”

Some of you were able to pay the difference though?

My daughter would like the HIA. She will have her 6 year old son in her cabin. How is it charged if the second guest is underage? Alaska 7 day on Nieuw Amsterdam.

18 minutes ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

From the HIA info on my upcoming cruise:  “Signature Beverage Package part of Offer has a daily limit of 15 beverages and only includes beverages priced at $11.00 or less. Guest cannot pay the difference between limit and beverage amount.”

Some of you were able to pay the difference though?

Yes HAL changed the rules a while ago.  You just pay the difference now plus the gratuity.

On 3/10/2024 at 2:28 PM, crystalspin said:

AFAIK, it is still $10+1.8=$11.80pppd and all adults in cabin must upgrade for the entire cruise on the first day before using the HIA/Signature plan. If 3 (really 2.5) of each of your drinks per day are $15, it pays for itself. But it would take 10 drinks at $12 (pppd) to break even. Every day, port days included.

I will just put up with the messy accounting.

Correct.

However I am unable to obtain a Singapore Sling as not all ingredients are on board.

I drink Dubonnet - no one can advise if there are stocks on board.

One couple I met, trawled the ship looking for their preferred wine.  No one could advise them which bar had stock.

Very many on this cruise are not drinking.

• Like 1

Just now, auggiemom said:

How do you upgrade to Elite on the ship?  Is there a specific place, or do you ask the bartender directly?

Ask any bartender before you purchase any drinks on the Signature package.

• Thanks 1