Butter!

On 4/7/2018 at 11:26 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You resurrected a TWELVE YEAR OLD thread.

Why and how? Did you do a search on the word "butter"? If so, WHY?!?!?!?

I guess he likes butter....

Teddie

I've never noticed anything unusual about the butter, but I do know I love the pumpkin seed rolls! So much, that I usually have three each night at dinner, and after the first night, the bread basket is always full of pumpkin seed rolls, and no other bread. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

I've never noticed anything unusual about the butter, but I do know I love the pumpkin seed rolls! So much, that I usually have three each night at dinner, and after the first night, the bread basket is always full of pumpkin seed rolls, and no other bread. 🙂

But did you like the butter?

• Haha 2

lol!  So, last year we met a new fun, drunk friend in the suite lounge.  It was his first cruise ever, and he was really enjoying the free suite lounge drinks.  Apparently he put a handful of the butter packets in his pocket at dinner, because he loved them so much.  Then, he reached in his oozing pocket to show the concierge the butter and to ask where he can buy more, because it was so good.  She said- Sweety, let me get you a napkin so we can clean you up 🙂. I call him “the butter guy”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

We've seen domestic butter on board (including from Wisconsin, my original home state--specifically Grassland brand), as well as Dutch and Irish butter, and probably a few miscellaneous types depending on where the ship had been.

On one cruise, we were seated at a large table for dinner in the MDR, and the queen of our table was a fabulous lady named Marla, who held court every evening and was a joy to dine with. BUT, she was fond of chilled, hard butter to go with her bread/rolls, so when we arrived for second seating, she would request the butter dish be replaced with cold rather than the warmed-up butter that had been sitting out. Forever after we have referred to cold, hard butter pats as "Butter ala Marla." If you're reading this, we miss you, Marla!

Edited by CntPAcruiser
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:39 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

lol!  So, last year we met a new fun, drunk friend in the suite lounge.  It was his first cruise ever, and he was really enjoying the free suite lounge drinks.  Apparently he put a handful of the butter packets in his pocket at dinner, because he loved them so much.  Then, he reached in his oozing pocket to show the concierge the butter and to ask where he can buy more, because it was so good.  She said- Sweety, let me get you a napkin so we can clean you up 🙂. I call him “the butter guy”.

When he pays for the popcorn, he’ll be ready. 

• Haha 3

My butter story proves the value of traditional dining vs. My Time dining:

I don't eat dairy products so I usually have the rolls plain. On one cruise I asked our waiter for margarine instead of butter. It took half an hour, but eventually he found margarine and brought it to the table. Every night after that margarine was waiting on our table when we arrived for dinner. 

11 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

My butter story proves the value of traditional dining vs. My Time dining:

Request the same table and time for each evening for MTD (first day of the cruise) and with that comes the same wait staff. Works just like TD. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

Request the same table and time for each evening for MTD (first day of the cruise) and with that comes the same wait staff. Works just like TD. 

I like this idea, thanks. We're doing MTD for the first time on our Explorer sailing in April, so this will come in handy then.

I'm curious though.. What is the difference between doing what you suggested vs. just doing TD? Seems like they would be the same in the scenario you describe.

Is it that instead of the same table mates each evening with TD, you have different table mates each evening with MTD, all else being the same?

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I like this idea, thanks. We're doing MTD for the first time on our Explorer sailing in April, so this will come in handy then.

I'm curious though.. What is the difference between doing what you suggested vs. just doing TD? Seems like they would be the same in the scenario you describe.

Is it that instead of the same table mates each evening with TD, you have different table mates each evening with MTD, all else being the same?

We no longer do MTD due to it's  now starting to late, for us. TD starts to early now, but it works for us. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

When we use do MTD I would reserve our dining times in our CP pre cruise.  Once onboard we would go directly to the MDR and select a two top in a location we liked. Always accommodated. We prefer two tops instead of a shared table. With TD it was a little harder to get our assigned table change to a two top and in a location we liked once onboard. Something we will now have to deal with again for our future cruises. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think we can drawn this thread out a bit more.

No wonder there is no more half and half, they churned it all into real butter. 

(had to go there and keep the puns going)

• Haha 4

On 2/23/2024 at 10:59 AM, doghog said:

Bananas and ketchup. 🤣

In the Philippines, they make banana ketchup, and it's pretty good. You'll find it on most restaurant tables as one of the condiments. 😊

images.jpg

Edited by KroozNut

On 2/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Cigar King said:

OMG...resurrecting an 18 YO post about butter?  Come on people...

Started reading it w/o looking at Dates...until poster mentioned how good the Butter is on Legend of the Seas. 

• Haha 2