Identity crisis

kruzerci

20 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Got a younger feel in the Caribbean.   On a recent TA the vibe was 60s and cruisers were 70ish.

For me, it was the complete opposite of this; never will my DH and I cruise the Caribbean again.  

We want the total E-class experience overseas, full of culture, history, different nationalities and   a variety of experiences.  Both of us are in our 70’s, so not spring chickens by any means.  No float the boat for us at this point of our lives, just keep on moving and enjoying life to the fullest!   “...nobody going to slow me down...”  Of course it will happen one day!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Got a younger feel in the Caribbean.   On a recent TA the vibe was 60s and cruisers were 70ish.

For me, it was the complete opposite of this; never will my DH and I cruise the Caribbean again.  

We want the total E-class experience overseas, full of culture, history, different nationalities and   a variety of experiences.  Both of us are in our 70’s, so not spring chickens by any means.  No float the boat for us at this point of our lives, just keep on moving and enjoying life to the fullest!   “...nobody going to slow me down...”  Of course it will happen one day!  

21 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

21 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

21 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

While we enjoyed our recent cruise on the Reflection, we agree about an identity crisis.  We definitely put that in our comments.  Music was SO loud everywhere and the selections were all over the place. The grand foyer really wasn't designed for games but it was used frequently for that.  Nor was it designed for a DJ playing music until midnight or later.  It reverberated all the way to the top decks. Service was still good and we were pleased with the food which we weren't expecting based on reviews a couple of months old. Just didn't feel right on the Reflection one of our favorite ships.

Summit was the same.  Silent disco and DJ took over the area on several nights.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If I hear 70s music I’ll stab myself in the eye.

Sweet Caroline...... played in every venue almost everyday our last cruise on the Equinox! Hopefully our next cruise on the Edge it won't play so often. I won't mind if I don't hear it again.

Edited by JLMcruise
more info
  • Like 5

Last Dance obviously  prefers Europe.  We've enjoyed a few cruises there but it's a long way for us to travel at this time. We have.seen the highlights, historic landmarks, museums, chuches etc,, and  the beauty of Greece, Italy, Spain and France.  For now we prefer cruising closer to home more for relaxation and enjoyment over touring.

Our Ascent cruise offered a visit to Nevis,  that had it all:  beaches, luxury resort,  great restaurants and full immersion in history..The Alexander Hamilton aspect of the excursion..was amazing..Focus on history and democracy..

Glad we all have choices..We also liked Sandals in Nassau. Surprisingly, a very mature, well travelled international  clientele....not just for honeymooners!

We have two more booked on X..then we'll decide what's next..maybe Cunard.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can’t a cruise line attract different ages?  People say “I want newer music!”  Could someone define “newer music” for me?  Because I listen to Bach, Frank Sinatra, Billy Idol and Barbra Streisand and I didn’t hear any of that on my last cruise.  If I hear 70s music I’ll stab myself in the eye.

lol my husband listens to 70s (he was born in the 60s while me in the 80s).

I can listen to pretty much anything but country and rap

For us, we find the Edge class ships beautiful but don’t have the same luxury experience we had years ago.  The pool area is gorgeous but with no evening pool parties they lose a golden opportunity.  We found most of the music disappointing except at the martini bar.  We loved our cruise on Beyond 2 years ago, and we are sailing her again in a little over a week.  We have booked more cruises for 2025 and 2026 with Celebrity but I had to adjust my expectations.  Its not the Celebrity I remember and they may be experiencing some growing pains as they try to adjust their branding a bit.  Still love them though.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JLMcruise said:

Sweet Caroline...... played in every venue almost everyday our last cruise on the Equinox! Hopefully our next cruise on the Edge it won't play so often. I won't mind if I don't hear it again.

1969…

(Looked it up.)

It can stay in FLL. I’d take White Wedding instead!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

An eclectic mix and not really disco ready.

Disco?  Do you WANT me to throw myself overboard?  You do know there are other types of dance music, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Disco?  Do you WANT me to throw myself overboard?  You do know there are other types of dance music, right?

Spanish guitars.... Flamenco!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

lol my husband listens to 70s (he was born in the 60s while me in the 80s).

I can listen to pretty much anything but country and rap

If Celebrity played country and bluegrass, I would cruise more.  I grew up the 70s but I don’t care for much of the music.  I grew up in Pennsylvania but listened to country and Top 40 growing up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

In their advertisements, they do have younger couples, yet does that translate to exclusive advertising to young adults? 

Their advertising also features very fit and trim fashion plates who, quite frankly, need to eat a sandwich...or two!  Just like the age demographic of their advertising is a tad off, the physique of the average guest (me included) is nowhere near what the advertisement department portrays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Jimmy Buffet style music and reggae/ island music were once Carib cruise classics..along with the harpist,  string quartet, orchestra and a  band.  Piano player too   Much is diff now,  but they seem to do some nice jazz and club music!

Rap is a  def no no,  and I am a purist..  I do not care for electrified string instruments.

On ASCENT,  there were many choices .. great acoustic duos, groups..salsa,  an amazing line up..even good DJs..but very loud at times

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Their advertising also features very fit and trim fashion plates who, quite frankly, need to eat a sandwich...or two!  Just like the age demographic of their advertising is a tad off, the physique of the average guest (me included) is nowhere near what the advertisement department portrays.

Maybe Celebrity should remove the fitness center from their ships so people won’t feel bad.

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe Celebrity should remove the fitness center from their ships so people won’t feel bad.

I won't feel bad either way.  I condition myself weeks before an upcoming cruise so that I can eat and drink with reckless abandon...and worry about the few extra pounds when I get back.  Currently, DH and I are on a diet of proteins and veggies...no alcohol at all...in prep for our cruise to Alaska at the end of May.  I've gotten to where I can make a mean mocktail, tho.  It's the only way I know how to counter the cruising weight that never seems to plague the cruise models on TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Not sure how that’s different from most advertising. The old joke was that no one in a sports car ad could afford the car and by the time you could you didn’t have the flexibility to get in and out of the car. It’s idealized and aspirational, like most advertising. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kruzerci said:

First off, I love Celebrity, just an observation while on Reflection. 

I feel like the brand is in an identity crisis. They advertise to a younger demographic, play modern pop music, advertise a “relaxed luxury resort at sea” etc., but their primary client base is 50+, they are cutting corners and nickel and diming as you would never see at a luxury resort, and their programming onboard is definitely greater toward an older demographic. 

It’s very much an anomaly to me. It seems like the older people think Celebrity is going downhill, the young people think it’s too old, and the folks looking for a more upscale experience think it falls short.  Just interesting that they try to straddle so many things, but seems they don’t excel at any of them. Luckily we are younger but prefer a calm environment, good food, good shows, etc., so none of this really bothers us and we enjoy the product.

Glad you still enjoy Celebrity Food and Shows. 

Earlier this month on Summit, I wanted to enjoy the before-dinner group in the Rendezvous.  Had much more current tunes, good singer with talented backup, but....they were so overamped, it was actually painful.  My fancy, new Sony noise-canceling earbuds weren't up to the task either.  Probably could have benefited from the noise-suppressing earmuffs I was required to wear around jet engines back in the day.  I don't know what demographic ear pain should appeal to; it was absurdly loud all the way into Luminae where they closed the doors.  Up until this last cruise, Summit has been nearest to my heart (cruised her 11 times since the restart).  Sadly, this time, everything was "off" in most of the venues.  MDR quality was much better, though.  Looking at the big picture, I'm glad RCI is profitable and paying off its debt but it saddens me to watch Celebrity's bumper-car style of management steer the line I've loved for 30 years so far off course.  Someday I hope they can find their way back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Celebrity is definitely trying hard to be the jack of all trades. They need to choose a direction and stick with it.  But every time they make a change the "loyalists", as they call themselves, don't agree with, they cause hysteria then Celebrity reverts. This is where the disconnect comes in between their marketing and what the actual product is on board. 

Their target market can be 40-55 year olds all day long. Where they fail is realizing that 40 year old me is a very different customer than my parents were at 40. But as long as they continue to pander the 65, 70, 80+ crowd they will have a tough time bringing in a new crop of repeat younger new customers. 

We're fine with it largely because we know what to expect but I'm curious how many of the recent new Celebrity customers actually come back.

Bingo!

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

They need a disclaimer... *actual passenger age and physique not typical

• Haha 6