Scary announcement on the last night

I just got back from the Apex sailing, March 23-30. On the last night at 1143 pm there was an announcement asking for any male passengers with O positive OR negative blood to report to the infirmary. Anybody have any idea what happened?? I did see a stretcher and an ambulance at the ship in Port Everglades. Just curious, and scary for whoever needed the blood.

8 minutes ago, wildescapade said:

I just got back from the Apex sailing, March 23-30. On the last night at 1143 pm there was an announcement asking for any male passengers with O positive OR negative blood to report to the infirmary. Anybody have any idea what happened?? I did see a stretcher and an ambulance at the ship in Port Everglades. Just curious, and scary for whoever needed the blood.

about 2 years ago, had same situation. A male had slipped getting out of the pool, hitting his head badly. Good thing Celebrity has a great medical team

19 minutes ago, wildescapade said:

Why do you suppose it had to be a male passenger?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildescapade said:

Had something similar on my last cruise on the Equinox.  The first morning at sea there was an announcement that anyone who had O positive blood and their donor card with them to come to Medical.  I was headed down when they said they had enough people come down there already.  I called and left my name/state room in case they needed more.  When we docked in Cozumel an ambulance and medical crew took someone off the ship.

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Could also be that there is a better cross screen match if the patient/donor are the same gender since they can't do a formal type and cross screen at sea.  I am guessing the ship's doctor tried to match as many characteristics between patient and donor to avoid a reaction as much as possible.

Same thing happened on our recent Connie cruise.  Captain made announcement at 6 am looking for blood donors.  He put the pedal to the metal and we got into NOLA 2 hours early so passenger could get into the waiting ambulance.  Since it was early in the cruise we received updates that the passenger was stable.  Sue Denning got quite emotional speaking about it on the last night thanking everyone for helping to save a passenger's life.  

• Like 1

Similar thing happened on an NCL cruise I was on.  We ended up making a unscheduled stop the following day to drop the person off in Nassau.  It ended up being a crew member who cut themselves with a knife pretty badly.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

It doesn't matter what happened that prompted the call for a blood donor.

It is no one else's business.

I agree, I don’t get the fascination with this..obviously someone needed blood, nothing more to understand. Either you can/will donate or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

41 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I agree, I don’t get the fascination with this..obviously someone needed blood, nothing more to understand. Either you can/will donate or not. 

And yet you're both reading this thread

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

And yet you're both reading this thread

I’m not curious as to what happened..I do wonder why others care..explain it to me? 

I am not drawn to tragedy..I suppose some are. 

When someone says there was a scary announcement, that to me means the ship may have been in trouble etc..one reason I clicked on it..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, patty1955 said:

There are certain hormones  in a woman’s blood if she has been pregnant. They would be there even if she never knew she was pregnant.  So asking for male donors only illuminates any possible hormonal interaction.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, patty1955 said:

From a quick google.

Female donors who have been pregnant are more likely than others to have these HLA antibodies in their plasma. The antibodies could be harmful if transfused into certain patients.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

There are certain hormones  in a woman’s blood if she has been pregnant. They would be there even if she never knew she was pregnant.  So asking for male donors only illuminates any possible hormonal interaction.

I had no idea this was a thing.  Do hospital blood supplies actually include the sex of the donor and do they match that with the recipient?  I just never heard of it. 

42 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

From a quick google.

Female donors who have been pregnant are more likely than others to have these HLA antibodies in their plasma. The antibodies could be harmful if transfused into certain patients.

Thank you! I had no idea.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m not curious as to what happened..I do wonder why others care..explain it to me? 

I am interested in all aspects of being on board a cruise ship. I don't confine that interest to the cost of an extra lobster tail, the happenings in the karaoke contest, or the source of a musty smell in the shower.

Today I learned (or rather, was reminded and assured) that the medical facility on a ship might seek transfusion donors if needed. I was also reminded that a cruise ship isn't a 100% safe environment and care should be taken in all activities and movement on the ship.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

From a quick google.

Thank you, I always wondered about this when hearing they asked for male donors.

3 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Similar thing happened on an NCL cruise I was on.  We ended up making a unscheduled stop the following day to drop the person off in Nassau.  It ended up being a crew member who cut themselves with a knife pretty badly.

Am I a bad person for thinking of Bryan Adams when I read this? 😈

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Who it is no one else’s business.  There isn’t really any privacy concern about what happened, other than the ship not wanting people to know.

And it’s not that unusual for them to make some sort of announcement in cases where it disrupts ship operations.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

Who it is no one else’s business.  There isn’t really any privacy concern about what happened, other than the ship not wanting people to know.

And it’s not that unusual for them to make some sort of announcement in cases where it disrupts ship operations.  

I don’t think that those who were asking why a male as opposed to a female were trying to interfere in someone else’s business. No one asked for names, circumstances, or medical issues. 
I think, like me, they were just wondering as to the science of why the gender is important.

Thank you  to those who gave us the scientific answer.  I think we all know a little bit more about medicine which may or may not be useful to us someday. Knowledge is good.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

As someone who spent years in emergency medicine, I'm fairly curious as to what happened. I'm also curious from the standpoint of being a cruise ship passenger. It stands to reason that anyone who cruises might be interested in possible dangers or risks onboard. However, you have to have been living under a rock, or never seen news coverage in your life, to not know that tragedy sells. Sex sells even better, but both are a normal part of human nature. Welcome to the human condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Blood donor issue is that males are less likely to have antibodies from pregnancies (red cell as well as white cell antibodies) so make is preferable.  Also the lab on the ship will still do a cross match of the unit before giving to the patient.  

• Like 1