Question on Sunset balconies

Wife and I are sailing to Bermuda in June. We currently have a mid-ship balcony. We were thinking about bidding on a concierge or standard sunset balcony. Are they worth moving-up? We realize that we wouldn't have a choice in selecting the deck or cabin; my question is: are there any "bad" sunset cabins?

14 minutes ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

Wife and I are sailing to Bermuda in June. We currently have a mid-ship balcony. We were thinking about bidding on a concierge or standard sunset balcony. Are they worth moving-up? We realize that we wouldn't have a choice in selecting the deck or cabin; my question is: are there any "bad" sunset cabins?

Worth it is a personal choice.  But IMO, no, there are not any bad sunset balcony staterooms and they are in fact one of our favorite choices.  We like them for the view, and in particular with Millennium class ships, the larger balcony.

In case you are not familiar with Concierge class staterooms, here is a link to the benefits (along with more points) associated with them:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/concierge-class-stateroom

23 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

On the E-class ships, "bad" sunset verandas are on the deck immediately above Eden due to noise. I wouldn't want one of those again.

We had one on deck 7 never heard a sound from Eden.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Worth it is a personal choice.  But IMO, no, there are not any bad sunset balcony staterooms and they are in fact one of our favorite choices.  We like them for the view, and in particular with Millennium class ships, the larger balcony.

In case you are not familiar with Concierge class staterooms, here is a link to the benefits (along with more points) associated with them:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/concierge-class-stateroom

Thanks for the input. We did a Concierge stateroom on the Summit 2 years ago. From what I've read, we wouldn't get the extra points for this cruise because we didn't originally book that category.

1 minute ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

Thanks for the input. We did a Concierge stateroom on the Summit 2 years ago. From what I've read, we wouldn't get the extra points for this cruise because we didn't originally book that category.

That is correct the points remain as the stateroom you originally booked.  And I was incorrect in including that when you mentioned bidding up to get it as it implied it would be with the bid.

Posted (edited)

I would think Deck 12 could be noisy on E class ships, from the activity right above on the Sunset Bar.  I was on Deck 9 on Apex and didn't hear any noise, either above or below.

Edited by TheHawk1

16 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I would think Deck 12 could be noisy on E class ships

It wasn’t on Beyond. Occasionally we hear voices or tinkling of silverware but it was low level.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We were on deck 10 on Edge in an SV and when outside we could definitely hear when the party was rolling in the Sunset Bar.  It was happy noise though so we didn’t mind.

We always book the SV cabins as we love seeing the wake while sailing and really enjoy the views while in port as the ships often back in.  They’re a trade off as it’s a long walk daily, and you might feel a bit more movement being aft.

Edited by Mauidiver
  • Like 1

We always book SV cabins as well... but several times the lovely balcony was unusable due to weather... either way too hot or very windy and cold.  It's just a love of the wake view... and not being bothered by movement if the seas are a bit rocky.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I'm glad for you. It was so bad for us that Guest Relations moved us to another cabin.

3 hours ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

The only negative is the very long walk to other parts of the ship (and it is a long walk). Good way to burn off calories though

16 minutes ago, Oville said:

In  Bermuda your view may be the bow or aft of another ship, not much of a view.

....unless you are facing stern to the Great Sound with a very nice view of the island and the lighthouse in the distance, which was our experience on one of our aft facing staterooms.  Fortunately Celebrity docks on the Sound-side of the Dockyard pier, so the odds of that view are 50/50.  The other odds would face an NCL ship, as you indicate - LOL.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jelayne said:

Exactly my experience. I have been on Deck 7 on Edge, Apex and Beyond. Never heard anything in the cabin.

Once, I did hear some background music and see some lighting changes when on the balcony on one  of those ships. I just can’t tell you which ship as, for me, it was a non issue. It probably had to do with the performance in the Eden lounge. . 

Edited by Straughn

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

The only negative is the very long walk to other parts of the ship (and it is a long walk). Good way to burn off calories though

That's very individual.   To us not a long walk, even to the gym on the opposite end.  We always get in our steps+.  Would say it's something to factor in.

8 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

On the E-class ships, "bad" sunset verandas are on the deck immediately above Eden due to noise.

7 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

I would think Deck 12 could be noisy on E class ships,

Our SV on Apex Deck 12 (12265) had no issue with sound from the Sunset Bar, nor did 7315 the next week from Eden.

11 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You DO NOT get more points on a bid upgrade.  I can't figure out any benefit of bidding for a concierge.  Benefits are very few and you go from a known cabin to a Concierge cabin anywhere.

10 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

I would think Deck 12 could be noisy on E class ships, from the activity right above on the Sunset Bar.  I was on Deck 9 on Apex and didn't hear any noise, either above or below.

We spent three weeks on deck 12 Sunset Veranda. We also did not have any issues.  Loved it.  Be sure to wear your step counter as you will acrue some serious mileage. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

You DO NOT get more points on a bid upgrade.  I can't figure out any benefit of bidding for a concierge.  Benefits are very few and you go from a known cabin to a Concierge cabin anywhere.

Thank you for your response. You are correct regarding no points for the bid upgrade, which, in a subsequent response, I also corrected. I commented on that originally as it is the norm for originally booked concierge class staterooms but realize I should not have, as it implied incorrectly it would be included with a bid upgrade.

And just to clarify, per the OP's thread question, they stated that they are considering bidding on either a concierge or standard sunset balcony.  To me, this would be a specific location in consideration to which they would be moving.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In case points are important for you, be aware that SV cabins will accrue fewer points than Concierge or Aqua cabins. Despite the fact that SV cabins certainly cost more, they're considered regular tier balconies. If I'm correct ... that's 3 points per night for SV as opposed to 5 points per night for Concierge and Aqua.

On Millenium Class, aft balconies (exception being the large "family" afts) were formerly classed as C1s. With the re-classification of stateroom categories, only the "Wheelchair Accessible" cabins remain as C1s. 

We still covet the Millenium Class SVs, but I'll never understand why we now must pay more than a C1 but get the fewer points and loss of the little Concierge perks. Not a deal breaker, but still ... annoying.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Thank you for your response. You are correct regarding no points for the bid upgrade, which, in a subsequent response, I also corrected. I commented on that originally as it is the norm for originally booked concierge class staterooms but realize I should not have, as it implied incorrectly it would be included with a bid upgrade.

And just to clarify, per the OP's thread question, they stated that they are considering bidding on either a concierge or standard sunset balcony.  To me, this would be a specific location in consideration to which they would be moving.

I missed your response about the points.  Not sure what you mean by bidding for a specific concierge location on a Solstice class ship.