Coastal Kitchen reservations?

On Celebrity if in a suite or aqua class - no reservations are taken for Laminae or Blu - we never had to wait for a table.    I know one must make reservations for Coastal Kitchen on Icon - those of you that sailed - did you have trouble securing a reservation for the time you wanted to dine?  We always like to go around 6  - just curious with a ship this large if reservations are difficult?  Please advise - I read before you cannot make reservations till on board - Thank you!

Yes you need CK dinner reservations on RCCL ships, unlike Celebrity/Luminae as you mentioned.  

If you are in a GS or above, you will get contacted before your cruise by a concierge and they can make your dinner reservations in CK before the cruise.  Or on the first day, go there directly for lunch when you board and make your reservations.  If you are in a JS - if ICON is like other ships- you might not be able to dine for dinner in CK depending on availability.  But breakfast and lunch will always be open and no reservation needed.

6 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

On Celebrity if in a suite or aqua class - no reservations are taken for Laminae or Blu - we never had to wait for a table.    I know one must make reservations for Coastal Kitchen on Icon - those of you that sailed - did you have trouble securing a reservation for the time you wanted to dine?  We always like to go around 6  - just curious with a ship this large if reservations are difficult?  Please advise - I read before you cannot make reservations till on board - Thank you!

When the concierge sends you an e mail tje week before get them to make your reservations. 

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If you are in a JS - if ICON is like other ships- you might not be able to dine for dinner in CK depending on availability.  But breakfast and lunch will always be open and no reservation needed.

I thought for JS cabins CK is only available for dinner on space availability and breakfast and lunch isn't an option. Is that not true for JS cabins? I'm on the Ovation at the end of the month.

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I thought for JS cabins CK is only available for dinner on space availability and breakfast and lunch isn't an option. Is that not true for JS cabins? I'm on the Ovation at the end of the month.

I thought the same.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's all correct.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes, it is on a space available basis if you are in a JS but on Ovation, you should be able to make reservations for the whole week.  Just go to the podium outside of CK once you board and they will help you with reservations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Yes you are correct.  My response was poorly written.  

21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes you are correct.  My response was poorly written.  

No worries. Since my Ovation cruise will be the first time in a JS on a ship with CK I just wanted to confirm what the rules were. I'm planning on going directly to CK once we board to see how many dinner reservations we can make there. I did make My time dining reservations for the whole cruise as backups for nights we can't get a CK reservation.

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

No worries. Since my Ovation cruise will be the first time in a JS on a ship with CK I just wanted to confirm what the rules were. I'm planning on going directly to CK once we board to see how many dinner reservations we can make there. I did make My time dining reservations for the whole cruise as backups for nights we can't get a CK reservation.

Sometimes they only make them one day at a time.  That was our recent experience on Allure, but we were able to secure a reservation for each night we wanted.  We sometimes prefer a few dining rooms or specialty menus  to CK.  

Enjoy your cruise.

M

15 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Sometimes they only make them one day at a time.  That was our recent experience on Allure, but we were able to secure a reservation for each night we wanted.  We sometimes prefer a few dining rooms or specialty menus  to CK.  

Enjoy your cruise.

M

Thanks. I've never eaten in CK. What's your opinion of it? Is it more like a specialty restaurant or more like a smaller MDR just with different choices? Despite being on Cruise Critic every day I haven't really done any research about the dinner experience there. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I've never eaten in CK. What's your opinion of it? Is it more like a specialty restaurant or more like a smaller MDR just with different choices?

In my limited experience, the food is somewhere in between but the service and atmosphere are much better than the MDR. Night one always has filet mignon which stood out as excellent. Other nights varied but food is very subjective. Personally I'd never eat in the MDR if CK was an option.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks. I've never eaten in CK. What's your opinion of it? Is it more like a specialty restaurant or more like a smaller MDR just with different choices? Despite being on Cruise Critic every day I haven't really done any research about the dinner experience there. 

We enjoyed CK recently on Symphony.  The CK dinner menu has more choices than Luminae.  The food and service was on par with Luminae IMO.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Quantum class ships handle reservations a lot better than Oasis class and you should be able to make dinner reservations for the whole week.  That has been our experience on multiple ships of this class.  

As far as the food, some like it, some don't.  We find the food always is hot and fresh in CK.  My DH loves the french onion soup in CK and gets it every night.  I find there are more fish options in CK..  You should be able to find the menus in the app to get an idea of what they have.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

We have sailed the Anthem three times over the past 12 months. The most recent was this past March, and since we won a Royal Up from a JS to a GS, it was our first time in a full suite. With the exception of just a few instances, we had all of our meals in the CK.  Short answer: it was wonderful. Service, atmosphere, and for the most part, the food. We loved the quiet peacefulness of it.  

There were a few "meh' dishes, but those were definitely in the minority. Interestingly, if there were any items in the Windjammer that you wanted, the server would bring that to you.  For breakfasts, they servers knew I loved the cranberry raisin bread, and they made sure I had it each morning. (I am of the opinion that Anthem has an excellent WJ). 

Dining in the CK was just one of the reasons that it will make it difficult to revert to a non-suite cabin now.  We are doomed, LOL.

Teddie

• Thanks 1

@kwokpotlf you have the Royal Caribbean App, the menu is there.

* Food and service at CK (Ovation) outstanding...the menu repeated last night and the filet was absolurely sublime. 6:45pm reservation for us and many open tables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:48 PM, kwokpot said:

I've never eaten in CK. What's your opinion of it?

I haven't either since we've never been on a class of ships that has it, but my sister-in-law has always said it's their favorite restaurant on any cruise. She said the food is consistently very good.

• Thanks 1