Do I dare to ask for Country Music options on HAL?

My musical tastes run from Classical to Fifties to Big Band (1940s style) and Country music. The latter is near the top of the most requested/listened to/purchased form of music and yet no cruise line I have been on (HAL, Royal Caribbean or Costa) offers it. Why is that?

Jim

• Like 1

I must admit I have never heard country music being played on a HAL ship.  It would be a wonderful addition though.  I would really enjoy a country themed night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all due respect, please no country!

Sorry, JMO, not my thing…..

Considering its popularity though I am surprised that it doesn’t have a bigger presence on cruise ships.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Billboard does CW sets as does either BB King or Rolling Stone Lounge (can't remember which).  Earlier this year we had a singer doing Johnny Cash songs on stage as well as a singer doing John Denver songs.  If there is CW music going on I am there!  🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There have been quite a few stage acts featuring country music.  There is a small but growing following on the ships.  Maybe you should make that suggestion to HAL. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind a bit of country music in the 1990s vintage, like Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Keith Whitley etc. I think there are a few cruises (on other lines) that have actual "Country" themes with some pretty big acts. Of course I doubt you would see that on HAL. I think Country Night would be great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On one of my cruises I was singing along to "Wagon Wheel" in Billboard, and another cruiser asked me how I knew it.  He had never heard it, and was unfamiliar with Bob Dylan, Ketch Secor, Darius Rucker, or Old Crow Medicine Show. 

Obviously a culturally deprived person. 😉

Edited by Roz
  • Like 4

That would be a great cruise for country music fans. I recognize several of the acts. I'm not sure I would be up for a whole week of it, but clearly it is popular and sold out.

• Like 1

A few years ago on a HAL cruise, we had a Reba McEntire impersonator as a guest singer.  Not only did she sing Reba's songs, but she looked, acted, and sounded like Reba.  It was one of the most memorable performances we have seen on HAL ships over our many cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There was a  Country music trivia on N Amsterdaam (Alaska) last year. It was fun but I scored only one correct answer🤠.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

My musical tastes run from Classical to Fifties to Big Band (1940s style) and Country music. The latter is near the top of the most requested/listened to/purchased form of music and yet no cruise line I have been on (HAL, Royal Caribbean or Costa) offers it. Why is that?

Jim

🤣🤣🤣

We disembarked the Noordam last week. Billboard had 2 fabulous singers, Gabe and Meaghan..best we have heard in years. They had several country sets and then there is always the all request shows. They often would do country just thrown in every so often. DH has set a new country station on Pandora for the car. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

https://countrymusiccruise.com/

Their 2025 Charter on Nieuw Amsterdam January 19 - 26

I love their listing of "Activities" 😉

Screenshot2024-05-06230916.png.3bb2512191bc8a5fc4bd91485f7776a2.png

There is a good country song in there somewhere.

I love many genres of music but country music has always been my preferred (staring back with George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Conway Twitty).  The Country Party listing above is nothing what comes to mind for me when (like the OP) I wish they had more country music; leave out the 'twang' LOL and I won't be line dancing 🙂.  I've even wished for such a venue but an Irish pub is close, it's more the relaxed laid back guitar (fiddle, violin) vibe that would be a nice change from piano.  Maybe us country folk would get too rowdy hahahaha.

Bring on Eric Church, Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs, Lady A, Terri Clark  ... I could go on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Country Music is our genre.....

And yes, HAL delivers......

Billboard Onboard always drops in a few country sets.....And all the standards are played as well as some of the new stuff......We love it when Country Top 100 appears on the Billboard Onboard schedule.....The Billboard Onboard presenter last month on the Oosterdam did a great Patsy Cline....Crazy....and a great Going to "Jackson" Johnny & June Cash

Also, music trivia will have a country theme......

We manage to get our country fix onboard......

Enjoy the country music.....and the journey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, happercamper said:

Billboard does CW sets as does either BB King or Rolling Stone Lounge (can't remember which).  Earlier this year we had a singer doing Johnny Cash songs on stage as well as a singer doing John Denver songs.  If there is CW music going on I am there!  🙂

Hi, happercamper,

Wish I had been there for that. Right up my musical alley.

Jim

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mary229 said:

There have been quite a few stage acts featuring country music.  There is a small but growing following on the ships.  Maybe you should make that suggestion to HAL. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do so! Your advice is always welcome in my world.

Jim

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Roz said:

On one of my cruises I was singing along to "Wagon Wheel" in Billboard, and another cruiser asked me how I knew it.  He had never heard it, and was unfamiliar with Bob Dylan, Ketch Secor, Darius Rucker, or Old Crow Medicine Show. 

Absolutely, culturally deprived.

Jim

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz,

I have a cousin in Nashville whose husband is a country musician. He plays in backup bands.

Jim

• Like 2

19 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

https://countrymusiccruise.com/

Their 2025 Charter on Nieuw Amsterdam January 19 - 26

I love their listing of "Activities" 😉

Screenshot2024-05-06230916.png.3bb2512191bc8a5fc4bd91485f7776a2.png

There is a good country song in there somewhere.

I booked the wrong January 2025 HAL cruise! If only I had known about one...!

Jim

• Like 2