Fractured leg on Beyond; Need Disembarkation Information

Hope you are feeling less discomfort. 

The small towel or tee shirt wrap idea for the underarm of crutches.could be good.

Pain meds to take the edge off for your trip home could also be in order .

Would be  great if you could access the van and save the taxi line.. Don't some vans have  a built in step?

The lip up/ down to thw bathroom is a notorious danger..We try so hard to be careful but trip and falls happen! So sorry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Would it make sense for your husband to get the car and come back for you?  That way you don't have to transfer twice (cab, then car).  

Also - stopping at rest stops without crutches or a wheelchair?  

I purchased a relatively cheap (less than $150) wheelchair from a company called Drive (via Amazon).  Since you might need one after surgery too, maybe pick one up on the way home? 

Good luck to you. Sorry to hear about this.  

Several years ago I fractured my fibula in my left leg. I too, had a cast put on and a pair of crutches to use. Forever what reason I had a tough time getting around with them. My neighbor told me about a knee scooter which would make life a whole lot easier. I found one on Amazon for a little less than the wheel chair mentioned. It’s like a scooter we had as kids but it had an adjustable padded platform to rest your bad leg. It also had hand breaks, like a bike.

This gave me more freedom and flexibility I had before the accident. I was able to go places, and do things without having to drag my wife along. Just lower the adjustable handle bar, and throw it into the backseat, or trunk and off I go. It is light enough that my did it several times if we were both going.

Just a suggestion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@grandgeezer I had previously tried a knee scooter when I had a stress fracture.  It didn’t work for me.  I’ll try wrapping the crutches and hope for a quick surgical appointment and hope I recover in a timely fashion.  I’m lucky my DH is being a big help…and that we had already moved to a main floor bedroom house!!!

• Like 5

So sorry about your mishap.  Giving advice (when it wasn't asked for 😋) but perhaps you can ask medical if they have a 2-handed walker?  It is much easier to use than crutches and also there is no chance you can damage the nerves in your armpits from leaning.

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Oh Helen, so sorry to read about your accident.  I hope you get home safely without incident and that you heal quickly. 

Forgive me, Marian.  Somehow I got the idea your name was Helen. 😳

• Like 1

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

This is a timely suggestion!  Even though my leg isn’t giving me any pain…my shoulders and arms are today…and I have large purple bruises on each inner arm…

The secret to dealing with crutches and avoiding the pain and bruising under your arms is to lock your elbows as you crutch along and let your weight ride on your arms and not your arm pits.  It sounds easy but I know it is not but it is well worth the effort.  Two knee surgeries in the days before scopes and a complete femur fracture taught a lot about using crutches.....Good luck with your recovery.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wish you the best on debarkation day, Marian!  I hope it goes as smoothly as is possible.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.🌹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So sorry about your leg!  The hand towels (taped into place) on the arm rest of the crutches can be a life saver. Also make sure tge crutches aren’t too short or too tall for you. That makes a huge difference in being able to crutch correctly. 

I fell on Silhouhette in February & destroyed my shoulder (just had shoulder replacement surgery). The ship could not do enough for me. I sat in the front seat of park&go van (one step up). A car ride home would’ve  been better than wheelchairs through Atlanta (everlastingly grateful we were in first class)

heal well & quickly. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Forgive me, Marian.  Somehow I got the idea your name was Helen. 😳

My Cruise Critic name is Helen Haywood.  A million years ago when I joined I thought it unwise to use your real name on the internet.  Since then I have relaxed somewhat and therefore some people (notably Dani)  know me by my real name.  I was named after my maternal grandfather who was (and still is years after his death) my favorite relative so I’m very proud of the name.  😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

The secret to dealing with crutches and avoiding the pain and bruising under your arms is to lock your elbows as you crutch along and let your weight ride on your arms and not your arm pits.  It sounds easy but I know it is not but it is well worth the effort.  Two knee surgeries in the days before scopes and a complete femur fracture taught a lot about using crutches.....Good luck with your recovery.

I have wondered if my arms should be straight or slightly bent on the crutches.  I was afraid if I put too much weight on my wrists I’d be about to have another catastrophe.

12 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I have wondered if my arms should be straight or slightly bent on the crutches.  I was afraid if I put too much weight on my wrists I’d be about to have another catastrophe.

You are supposed to carry your weight on your arms, not your arm pits.    Locking my wrists and keeping my elbows fairly straight worked for me.  Easier said than done but it is the way it is supposed to work.  Padding the hand grips helps too since that is where you want to weight to ride.  

• Like 2

Once you get home you will probably be mostly off your feet except for dr visits and bathroom/ showers.. So hope a good plan gets you home safely.

My friend slipped and fell at her golf clubhouse,  suffered a bad ankle break,  and had to stay off her feet with the broken ankle area raised above her heart.  Long ordeal and recovery but she got through it, had surgery, and rehab and is  now walking and golfing  again!

I’m mostly off my feet now.  I gimp/hop along with the crutches just to get to the cabin bathroom or to the cabin door…then I’m in the wheelchair.  Or lying down.   Driving home will be an experience…I’m not sure I can really use crutches to get into a bathroom…afraid of slipping on a wet floor…but will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

I think I’ve found someone to loan me a wheelchair Sunday at home until I can rent one Monday.  And hopefully get the surgery soon.  Then weeks/months of trying to get back to normal…

• Like 2

you are planning ahead best you can so all should be well!  :classic_smile:

bthrm floors..= hazard zone.

my friend's fall was on a  recently mopped wet bthrm floor at the golf club....no sign or warning!

• Thanks 1

Once your doctor at home makes the decisions on a treatment plan and gets started know that PT will be a big part of the best recovery.  Having been through more injuries and surgeries than I can to remember I am amazed at how much better medicine has gotten over the years and especially how important PT is and how much better it is today. When I broke my femur way back when PT in the hospital was little more than teaching me to walk with a walker--I thought I could not manage with crutches and a huge cast--and little more than rebuilding some strength and stamina after too many days flat on my back.  Once the cast was off it was "oh, try doing this at home".  When I had my knee replaced finally 16 months ago PT started the day after surgery and they had me walking on it in 13 days......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The place we usually stop has a huge woman’s bathroom…I’ll probably get him to go in with me…. Thank goodness for 37 years of marriage so I can put aside modesty…

And I absolutely intend to do all PT as ordered!!  I’ve read on here about how much of a difference it makes in people with joint replacements.

• Like 6

If you were post op pretty much anywhere in the US you'd be in PT immediately and the PT would teach you how to use the crutches. Greater than 50% probability you'd be in PT before the surgery if didn't happen "immediately". Unfortunately that's not your situation.

One last question re disembarkation.  Guest Services told me we have to be out of the cabins at 7 and to go to Raw on 5 where wheelchair assistance was first come first serve.  But the disembarkation letter said to go to Raw on 5 at your scheduled departure time…which is 8:15.  So if we leave the cabin at 7 and go to the Elite waiting area in Tuscan…my husband will have to wheel me there…then come back to the cabin to get our one carry on bag and my crutches.  Then at 8 or so when we go to Raw on 5 he’ll need to make two trips again.  Does this sound correct?