Impact of death of spouse before upcoming cruise

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, pilot said:

Have never seen this before.  For the last several years at Port Everglades, I have dropped my wife and luggage at the pier and then I return rental car at airport. 

She has never been questioned on why I am not with her at check in. 

Can't argue your experience but find it strange, as if someone shows up alone for a double occupancy booking the counter agent would typically ask about the other passenger.  Seems odd that she would just walk up to check in and no questions were asked and no comments made by her as to your whereabouts, especially as I am guessing you were both pre-checked in.  But it is what it is, I guess.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

Because of this email I received this morning from Celebrity:

SHIP NAME:
Celebrity Summit  
|   SAILING DATE:
17 May 2024  

YOUR SCHEDULED ARRIVAL TIME AT THE TERMINAL IS 

5:00 PM - 5:30 PM 

For a seamless start to your cruise, please arrive at your scheduled time for the best boarding experience. Everyone in your reservation needs to check in together.

Or this one in the same email:

2. Arrive at your scheduled time with everyone in your party and your tagged luggage.

You do note their stating EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHECK IN TOGETHER right?  Not sure why you keep saying an entire party doesn't have to check in together.

Perhaps, it’s like a lot of things seem to be on cruises there days - There’s a rule, but there’s no penalty for violating it.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss. If you plan to file for insurance reimbursement, you need to notify Celebrity prior to the cruise. Some policies require notification a given number of days after the death or injury.  My advice is to contact Celebrity immediately to advise them of your situation.  Your travel insurance should reimburse you for your spouse's cost and, depending on your policy might pick up any additional charges.  This way, you needn't worry about showing up at the pier with explanations; your reservation will be in your name only, and you will avoid any awkward conversations.  If you don't cancel your spouse's reservation, insurance will not reimburse you.  If you do not have insurance, I would show up to avoid the extra charges.  FYI...I am a retired travel consultant and agency manager.  I hope the cruise helps you heal.  Take care.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, pilot said:

Have never seen this before.  For the last several years at Port Everglades, I have dropped my wife and luggage at the pier and then I return rental car at airport. 

She has never been questioned on why I am not with her at check in. 

I suspect this is one of those situations where the practice differs from the policy.  I was also surprised to see the policy as I've never experienced a problem with people checking in separately.

We have a friend that went through a similar situation.   I'm really sorry for you loss.

In her case she was able to shift to a Single  and got Double points.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When one checks in at the port they scan the bar code on their Set Sail pass.  They will know who has checked in and who hasn't.  What they do about I do not know. 

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

Perhaps, it’s like a lot of things seem to be on cruises there days - There’s a rule, but there’s no penalty for violating it.

The question wasn't about whether or not they do anything about it but more because the one person kept saying they didn't understand why we kept saying the OP might have to address the absence of her husband since they were supposed to check in together.  He kept saying he didn't know why we kept saying it.  I simply posted the email I received this morning that said it twice.  Whether they enforce it or not if both parties are traveling is unknown and probably varies depending on the port, staff and their mood of the day.  In this case we know the husband will be there in spirit only so it is entirely possible the OP will have to discuss it briefly if they don't contact Celebrity in advance.

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't understand why people are saying that the insurance company will reimburse the cost of the spouse's fare.  The OP will now be traveling solo and solos typically pay the price of two in the cabin.

I agree in that if the other passenger goes on the cruise they have gained the benefit of their fare and therefore would not be reimbursed that fare portion.

Celebrity has been paid for both cruisers. At this point I don’t see why Celebrity is involved at all.

The insurance is a separate issue. Someone passed so insurance should pay. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, pilot said:

Celebrity has been paid for both cruisers. At this point I don’t see why Celebrity is involved at all.

The insurance is a separate issue. Someone passed so insurance should pay. 

I agree.  I don't think anyone is suggesting Celebrity will be involved at all with any refunded money other than with port fees and taxes on the second passenger, which will be refunded.  As others have said, any refund for the second passengers' fare would come through an insurance claim.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You need to contact Celebrity and advise them.  Your cruise has been fully paid for as a double.   Celebrity will change your reservation to a single and you will get double points. Reimbursement will come from your insurance carrier when you make the claim.

21 hours ago, the penguins said:

All passengers on a booking are required to check in together so yes they will ask.

Not true.  there is no such requiremnt

On 5/9/2024 at 8:18 PM, jimb cruisin said:

Have cruise upcoming in June, 2024 on Equinox, spouse recently passed. Have decided to go solo since other family will be on the sailing. If I report to Celebrity will they reprice the booking at solo rate on  a fully booked cruise. Appears solo rate could be as much as our double rate or higher. Also, have the Cruise Care insurance, will they payout the fare associated with my spouse if Celebrity reprices me to solo rate?

As others have said....I'm very sorry for your loss and expectation of a lovely vacation together.  With all the angst you're going through now, why add to it?  I would feel apprehensive well before check in.  Your questions should be answered by Celebrity before you sail for your own peace of mind.  The call centre might not be able to definitively provide you with the correct information.  Perhaps this phone number might be more direct for you if you decide to inform X prior to sailing.......   305-614-1343......or at least to answer your questions so that you're properly informed.  Hope all goes well for you.

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Please see Post  27 above for the proof that there is.

we know exactly what it says.  and we also know it is not enforced.

• Like 1

I downloaded a copy of the Cruise Care details and it says this: 

Cancellation Penalty Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in occupancy/single supplement charge

as a result of your traveling companion’s cancellation due to one of the reasons cited above. Please advise your travel

agent, Celebrity Cruises or the Program Administrator as soon as possible in the event of cancellation. Refunds will not be

provided for additional charges incurred that would not have been charged had you notified these parties as soon as

reasonably possible.

So I think you just need to notify Celebrity and you will be covered by the insurance.

32 minutes ago, crazyank said:

we know exactly what it says.  and we also know it is not enforced.

Whether is is enforced isn't the issue.  Your claiming that Celebrity isn't telling passengers to have their entire party together for check in/boarding IS.  Enforcement I am certain is entirely port dependent but I am sure that if denied boarding due to the entire group not being present but intending to sail telling the port agent that @crazyank said it isn't enforced is sufficient for them.

OP 

Sorry for your loss.  I hope you enjoy the cruise with loved ones around you to share memories,  and create new ones .

Always nice to get "on line" opinions but in this circumstance,  and without having a trvl agent,  it sounds like you should communicate with Celebrity and  the cruise insurer (in case coverage can be  applied).  It's just finances and paperwork now that you have chosen to cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

First of all, @jimb cruisin, I'm sorry for the loss of your spouse.  I hope things get better for you in the future. 🙏

Second, unless there's a life insurance component to your travel insurance, I struggle to see much that you'd be covered for.  Since you're going to go on the cruise anyway, Celebrity won't reprice the cabin for one occupant.  Port fees will be refunded no matter what (though they might need some nagging and reminding).  And excursions can be refunded right now regardless of reason.  Perhaps insurance can cover any nonrefundable airfare, if applicable?

Edited by Honolulu Blue

Thanks to all who have responded to this topic, your condolences have been greatly appreciated. I have read all of your comments and believe they are good points for and against notifying Celebrity. At some point I will make a decision and I plan on posting the outcome of my decision. Thank you all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

jimb ~ I am so sorry to read of your loss.  Sincere condolences.

The first thing I would do is carefully read your Cruise Care policy. It is underwritten by Arch Insurance (according to Celebrity's website) but you contact Aon if you were going to file a claim. Therefore after reading the policy, I'd reach out to Ion first, not Celebrity. The policy should tell you who to contact. 

You should figure out what the insurance will cover first and ask them to advise you on dealing with the cruise line. I've never had to use my travel insurance before but I'd bet that Celebrity would tell you to call Aon.   

You paid for the cruise for both of you; you have insurance that covers the loss of a spouse so the insurance company would need to explain how it works since you still want to go on the cruise. I wouldn't show up at the port and not have this worked out because I wouldn't want to have to explain to port workers that my spouse passed away and risk losing any insurance coverage you would have.

If you wouldn't mind, please come back and let us know how this works out. It would be useful information for other members.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.  I hope this cruise with your family brings more joy than sadness and wonderful memories of your time with your spouse.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

Whether is is enforced isn't the issue.  Your claiming that Celebrity isn't telling passengers to have their entire party together for check in/boarding IS.  Enforcement I am certain is entirely port dependent but I am sure that if denied boarding due to the entire group not being present but intending to sail telling the port agent that @crazyank said it isn't enforced is sufficient for them.

perfect explanation. For sure if it goes wrong at check in crazyank won't be there to take the flack. As an aside Southampton for one is a port that checks (or at least it did last time we cruised from  there) that the whole party is there before even allowing you access to the terminal building.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My pre-Covid experience with another cruise line was that informing them before was extremely positive. No change in fare; the second set of port fees and gratuities was rebated/dropped; and every member of the linked family received flowers and a note in their stateroom.

Also, Celebrity would be happier to have a grateful group extolling X's kindness than an angry family (loudly, publicly, and constantly) sharing tales of Celebrity's vicious greediness to widows and orphans.

May you find content in your family & journeys.

Edited by SeeSun&Sea
grammar
  • Like 2