Georgia Peaches heads to The Last Frontier…Seeking Answers…Will She Love Alaska? Live-May 31-June 7th…Teetering on The Edge

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Georgia_Peaches! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Georgia_Peaches was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Alaska…the last frontier…marked by rugged terrain dotted with ferocious wildlife braving the elements in a daily quest for sustenance against a backdrop of undisturbed glaciers and snow-capped mountains…where survival is truly of the fittest and not for the faint of heart…we bravely embark on the Edge of an adventure of a lifetime!  Cue theme music from Star Trek…and let’s begin!

Welcome to my live review of our travels to Alaska!  This is an entirely different kind of cruise from our norm that was largely brought about by a bargain basement fare that first came to my attention in a post made by @Hrhbob almost a year and a half ago!  It was hard to say no to a 7 night cruise in the Retreat with all the perks:  gratuities, $600 OBC, premium wifi and premium drinks package…remember when?...all in for right at 5K!  My how things have changed since we made that booking! 

The intent of my live from is not necessarily to review the ship.  @SerraG has been doing a wonderful job of that in her live blog and I have hung on her every word, photo, and pro tip!  My angle is on the Alaska experience itself, how Celebrity does it, and all the prep work it took to get us to T-2 days until embarkation.  And speaking of prep, if you’re new to Alaska like me, a can’t miss thread by @no1racefan1 is a must read!  Thank you, ma’am!

Now, I say I wonder if I will love Alaska because I truly don’t know.  I’ll be on a cruise, which I love, so there’s that.  But this one’s different.  First, it’s far-far from home with a four-hour time difference!  I’m used to embarking in my own time zone.  Second, the packing struggle is real!  I recently read a comment on the Alaska board where someone boasted that they were able to pack all they needed for Alaska into a single carry-on.  How is this even possible I wondered as I trekked to my Alaska staging area in search of any items I could purge.  Purge!  Not a chance!  In fact, the more I read, the more I add to my suit case.  Just yesterday I threw in a dress so as to offset the grunge factor that so many of my already packed clothes portray.  And third, I’m just not sure I’m going to love the weather.  I like cool temperatures, so that’s good…but I’m not a big fan of rain.  It’s wet… and I don’t like being wet.  Ketchikan is the rainiest city in Alaska receiving up to 160 inches of rain per year!  I am now the proud owner of rain pants/boots/and jacket…

But I’m going in with an open mind and a feverish hope that I will be able to get past the aforementioned first world problems in order to enjoy the beautiful scenery and wild life for which Alaska in known!

We’ve booked Alaska on two other occasions and for reasons I don’t remember, we cancelled them.  I wondered in the back of my mind if we’d do so for a third time but once final payment rolled around, it was a done deal.  Knowing that I would want to take as many nice pictures as an iPhone could muster, my next move was to upgrade my device.  A necessary evil and one that I dreaded as there is nothing like home…a button, that is…and I was fondly attached to my little 8 plus...but @Stem to Stern talked me off the ledge and was quite right when he pointed out that a simple swipe has replaced the antiquated home button of yore.  And I have caught on quite nicely.

Today is our final prep day…and it will be a busy one!  The hardest part about leaving for any cruise is saying goodbye to my fur babies, Pipercat and Jane Doe, whose name was shortened to JJ (for Just Jane) after she decided that she wanted to take up permanent residence with the rest of us.  DH rolls his eyes whenever I mention the cats…for which he harbors mild disdain and only tolerates because of me.  I can’t really blame him though…Pipercat exhibited her displeasure over our impending departure by relieving herself in his open suitcase.  Fortunately, his clothes weren’t packed and he wasn’t home.  I explained away his brand new suitcase by pointing out that he was going to need more room for his warm weather gear…animals just know. 🤷‍♀️

Some of you may recall our adventure last March when we nearly missed the boat, quite literally, when embarking in San Pedro for a Mexican Riviera cruise.  Without the help and knowledge of fellow CC members who were following my thread, I am convinced the ship would have left without us. The PTSD perpetuated by our near miss experience has prompted me to book the earliest flight departure possible…a 7 AM on Alaska Airlines.  And since we live nearly 1.5 hours from the airport (with traffic), our pick-up time is scheduled for 3:45 AM.  Yikes!  But this allows us two subsequent chances to catch a flight should something hinder the 7 AM departure.  Fingers crossed for smooth travels.

Additionally, as this will be our first experience with Alaska Airlines and the self-tagging of luggage, I have equipped our cases with a TILE tracking device, similar to an Apple air tag.  I like the concept of knowing where my bag is but have wondered if it will just create more anxiety if, say…my bag shows it’s in Portland while I’m in Seattle…but I have them none-the-less and they appear to be working because I get periodic notifications that my bags are indeed in our guest room just one floor up.

Next up…what we’re packing and how we plan to spend our day in Seattle including accommodations and points of interest…

image.png.069dd0e8d04b6525c6b80bc75bda49a9.png

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Alaska is my favorite cruise destination! It is so different and just stunning. I spend most of my time on an Alaska cruise just sitting outside watching the views. I’m excited to follow along!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It was hard to say no to a 7 night cruise in the Retreat with all the perks:  gratuities, $600 OBC, premium wifi and premium drinks package…remember when?...all in for right at 5K!  My how things have changed since we made that booking! 

Uuuuummmmm…how the bleep did I miss out on this basement discovery?!?

Dang!!!  Hopefully our paths will cross in the future.

Anyway I was on my buttonless iPhone with my mother this morning when I saw the email notification from Cruise Critic.  Good morning Georgia!  Time to cut this mother-son phone call short, pour another cuppa coffee, and settle in for another one of your novels. LOL!!!

I am so glad you “cut the cord” on your iPhone 8 anxiety-free.  The photos you will capture in the wild, wet (oops, sorry!) untamed wilderness will be amazing even in your best grunge-rock attire.  Rock it, girl!!

Looking forward to reading all about Alaska including Alaska Airlines and the Tile product.  I am curious about this versus the Apple air tag having never used either.  

Let’s hope there are no calls as close as your San Pedro nail-bitter so you can enjoy a bit of Seattle. I will admit my dislike for the cold, dank weather keeps persuading me to move Alaska further down the bucket list.  But any packing tips and excursion ideas will still be welcomed.  Do you have plans to visit The Butchart Gardens?  Happy packing!  It is good that you have your two little helpers there with you!🥰😻

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 2

To be honest, we originally only went to Alaska because it was our son’s choice (college graduation cruise). My husband and I both said it would be a one and done. Despite getting Covid on the ship and not knowing that I had it and having an accident which sent me to the emergency room with a broken wrist, we had an amazing time! We can’t wait to go back and are booked for next June! You were going to love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I will be following..

Our friends are cruising from Vancouver  in next week or so on X.. flying from East Coast..so a long flight!

Enjoy!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

I hope you have a fabulous time.

I've been twice (running cruises, so I had no say in where we went) and I'm the weird one who has something broken in me because other than the time I was walking on the promenade deck and a whole pod of whales was swimming next to the ship, I haven't gotten the OMG CANNOT BELIEVE THIS everyone else seems to get. I truly hope you're not like me and do end up loving it!

I do love the Edge - she's a beautiful ship!

• Like 2

You're going to have an awesome time! We just got back from cruising up there on the Grand for 22-days. If I might suggest, here is a Celebrity excursion you may want to consider if you like wildlife, and it's not sold out yet.

Destination Highlight Bering Sea Crab Fishermens Tour | Ketchikan, Alaska | Shore Excursion | Celebrity Cruises

For more details about this excursion on the Aleutian Ballad, here's the post from my Live From thread with photos.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For more details about this excursion on the Aleutian Ballad, here's the post from my Live From thread with photos.

Thank you, Ken!  I will certainly check it out.  Twenty-two days is quite the adventure!!  I will enjoy reading about your experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

Good morning Georgia!  Time to cut this mother-son phone call short, pour another cuppa coffee, and settle in for another one of your novels. LOL!!!

Awe, you're always quick with a kind word...thank you for joining! ☺️

Do you have plans to visit The Butchart Gardens?

Actually, yes!  It's on our list!

Hopefully our paths will cross in the future.

Beyond 10-nighter in November, perhaps? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I hope you have a fabulous time.

I've been twice (running cruises, so I had no say in where we went) and I'm the weird one who has something broken in me because other than the time I was walking on the promenade deck and a whole pod of whales was swimming next to the ship, I haven't gotten the OMG CANNOT BELIEVE THIS everyone else seems to get. I truly hope you're not like me and do end up loving it!

I do love the Edge - she's a beautiful ship!

I'm going in with an open mind ☺️.  I think we have some pretty cool excursions planned...and we haven't been "excursion people" much in the past so again, something new!  

I need to look into one of those running cruises!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

We’ve done Alaska many times and love the hikes. We’ve been there in the pouring rain and also when we didn’t see a drop and needed shorts. I hope you love Alaska!

• Like 1

Alaska Tips

When you visit Butchart Gardens buy a few seed packets as souvenirs. I was never a flower garden type, but we have had a small plot that keeps regenerating with brightly colored quality flowers for multiple years.

If you take the train in Skagway sit on the left side (as you view from the back) on the way up. The narration is the same both directions, and you trade sides up at the top, but your sense of wonder is better when you are fresh on the train. Also take a walk and stand out where the train cars connect for a clear view. Taking a picture from their as you approach the long bridge/trestle will result in a great photo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Beyond 10-nighter in November

Ah, how nice that would be since it is my birthday month.  First we have to cast our yay or nay vote for Edge-class on our inaugural Beyond sailing in September.

• Like 1

@Georgia_Peaches -  Really looking forward to you cruise.  Our next cruise will also be to Alaska.    For us it is only a quick 2 hour flight to Vancouver and will not be experiencing all the time zones. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You will definitely enjoy those excursions.  My fav was the sea plane, but I also enjoyed our whale watching tour, although we only saw one whale.  However, we saw over 20 bald eagles that were just magnificent!  Seeing a moose give birth to twins up by Denali was such an ahhh- moment and surprise that could have easily been missed!  Have that phone/camera ready and charged at all times.

Enjoy your cruise and really pay attention to all that beautiful scenery because you never know what might be just behind those trees, or in the water.  Looking forward to your review and hope getting to the port is easy-peasy!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Looking forward to following along.  Hard to believe it has been a year since we were making sure you got to your Mexican cruise on time 🙏.  You will love Alaska, and agree on what to pack for this trip.   Layering was my friend, and extra tennis shoes when we got wet.  

• Like 1

We did a short cruise on MERCURY out of Seattle some years ago.  It  circled inner and outside passage.  Beautiful views and calm seas.

Butchart Gardens was one of our favorite  X  excursions.  It was combined with a wine and chocolate tasting .  We had plenty of time at the gardens including a stop in the amazing store.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, juanrod said:

Looking forward to following along.  Hard to believe it has been a year since we were making sure you got to your Mexican cruise on time 🙏.  You will love Alaska, and agree on what to pack for this trip.   Layering was my friend, and extra tennis shoes when we got wet.  

Yes, it is!  Juanrod you were right there cheering us along!  So glad to have you back! And yes, layering seems to be the key!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

You will definitely enjoy those excursions.  My fav was the sea plane, but I also enjoyed our whale watching tour, although we only saw one whale.  However, we saw over 20 bald eagles that were just magnificent!  Seeing a moose give birth to twins up by Denali was such an ahhh- moment and surprise that could have easily been missed!  Have that phone/camera ready and charged at all times.

Enjoy your cruise and really pay attention to all that beautiful scenery because you never know what might be just behind those trees, or in the water.  Looking forward to your review and hope getting to the port is easy-peasy!

Wow!  Sounds awe inspiring...getting more excited by the hour!  Thanks for following along...would love to see a bald eagle!