Standard standing groupings for common topics

IDL

It would be beneficial to establish standard, standing categories for the most popular topics as opposed to numerous separate threads for topics such as dress code, gratuities and Elite happy hour.  

• Like 1

Good luck with that.  As long as people start a new topic without searching to see if a question or comment has been posted already, it's going to be the way it is.  I've learned to live with it. 

• Like 4

People will still post, I have this issue at work and created documents for people to look up info themselves yet still post the question because it is 'easier' to just ask than look yourself

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lena11033 said:

People will still post, I have this issue at work and created documents for people to look up info themselves yet still post the question because it is 'easier' to just ask than look yourself

And often it’s not so much the asking as it is the answers and judgement and lectures…

• Like 2

Just now, cruisestitch said:

My personal favorites are the ones who start off “. I could do a search, but I’m too lazy so I’m asking here.”

Could you post a few examples of this for me??? TIA.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Good luck with that.  As long as people start a new topic without searching to see if a question or comment has been posted already, it's going to be the way it is.  I've learned to live with it. 

It’s not always that easy to get an answer by searching or perhaps I’m doing it wrong but I’ve never had great luck searching up some topics.

• Like 2

And there are those who think they got a scoop, only to find the topic was covered three days before and is not on the bottom of page 2.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDL said:

It would be beneficial to establish standard, standing categories for the most popular topics as opposed to numerous separate threads for topics such as dress code, gratuities and Elite happy hour.  

I can certainly understand your suggestion and why you said it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDL said:

This has been suggested many times over the years to no avail.

People do not search. Many times people ask ridiculous questions and get opinions that are also ridiculous. They do not research before they commit. Then they want others to help justify their commitment.

Accept your actions as you are the one who made your choice. 

No lounger?  

Don't like anytime dining?

Martini bar to crowded?

Your choice, go to another cruise line.

A few FAQ threads seem innocuous but then the mods would also have to keep on top of the changes.  Also a bit off-putting to go to a board and see a full page of sticky threads at the top where you have to scroll to another page to get to the new stuff.

HAL has a thread that began in 2018 where they dump all smoking related questions.  Seems like a good idea until you realize that the policy has changed over the years and it's impossible to find the current experiences buried in 50 pages of responses so people inevitably just ask again and again anyway.

I belong to several social media sites and they are all the same!

People don't use the search features, so ask the same questions over and over again. The ones that are my "favorite" are the ones that say "what is the best X"? Without giving any context or information about themselves or their preferences.

Sadly, yes, it is easier to start a new thread and have people spoon feed you information than to do a Google search or use the sites search feature. Trying to change that behavior is an exercise in futility. 🥴

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

It’s not always that easy to get an answer by searching or perhaps I’m doing it wrong but I’ve never had great luck searching up some topics.

search feature used to work much better!  not user friendly for most of us! 

Many questions are asked by new cruisers or new to Celebrity cruisers. I must have answered the same question about RS/PH free laundry about 20 times and questions on the shore side concierge about 30! 

Am I complaining? No! It is payback for all the naive questions we asked when we started cruising. We were so grateful to those who took the time to reply to us politely and thoughtfully…

Quite simply if you have the time and no one else has answered a question already just do it with good grace, just as you would help a lost tourist in your home town despite the fact they are stood next to the tourist information centre!

• Like 5