Library offerings on the Edge?

Traveling to Alaska in September on the Edge. We would like to read and relax, but don’t want to use precious packing space on books if we can help it. 

Is there a library that is stocked decently on board? 

17 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

Traveling to Alaska in September on the Edge. We would like to read and relax, but don’t want to use precious packing space on books if we can help it. 

Is there a library that is stocked decently on board? 

There is not.  There is a small shelf space, near Eden I believe, that has give and take books from other cruisers.

• Thanks 1

No library! 

When we cruised on EDGE, they used a vendor type cart.  Only had donated books... not a wide selection, a few mags.  There  may have been a few books for sale in the liquor store???

Basically, bring your own. You  can download books on your tablet if u have one or  donate books u bring  with you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Time to order that Kindle....! 😄

Oh I wish I could read books in electronic format! My husband bought me a Kindle a few years ago and I ended up donating it.

I appreciate the information – I’ll probably pick up a book and a magazine or two at the airport and then leave them behind for other passengers to enjoy when we leave. 

Edited by OrtonPark
  • Like 1

We were B2B2B on the Edge last fall.  We didn't see any cart, but there were shelves in the Captain's Club office which had a very limited number of books.  Absolutely pathetic.

And @OrtonPark -- I don't use a Kindle, but use a mini-i-Pad to read electronic books.  The cover I have on it opens like a book and so it feels very "book-like" in my hands.  Additionally, it is another resource to check e-mails and so forth.

• Thanks 1

They have a bookshelf in Eden - usually on the ramp near the top.    I think they are books left behind by previous guests.   

One recommendation is to join your Roll Call and see if you can make contact with other readers that would be interested in swapping off books.  

I know on my live post we often have a good discussion of books I'm reading (actually listening to as I'm hooked on e-books).    There are a lot of readers on every cruise who I'm sure we be up for a swap

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

i get books uploaded for free  on my Tablet ..using the LIBBY APP...A local library where one has a valid borrower's card can help you install it...and getting the books is easy! 

Much easier than when we borrowed a Kindle for my mil!

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

The photo is from Celebrity Edge back in March 2019. It was near Eden. On other X ships some of the libraries have become inside cabins.

IMG_20190303_105119536.thumb.jpg.2302d55381862b162ed569fc24e852d0.jpg

Wow!  This is way more books than I saw on our Ascent cruise this past January!  

Besides the small selection of books in Eden, there is also a small selection of books down at Guest Relations.  You need to wait in line and ask for them to open the cabinet.

elaine

32 minutes ago, emdmistycc said:

Besides the small selection of books in Eden, there is also a small selection of books down at Guest Relations.  You need to wait in line and ask for them to open the cabinet.

elaine

I saw the same thing on the Apex but not until the last day of our 23 days onboard. I guess that should teach me I need to ask. Haha

Janet

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

The photo is from Celebrity Edge back in March 2019. It was near Eden. On other X ships some of the libraries have become inside cabins.

there it is... not many books.. when we cruised ( 2x)... early on Edge,  there were few books &  some less than current magazines. But I lucked out finding the Art Book...brand new.  The short pile disappeared quickly!

I was hoping  real shelves might appear along  the walkway outside  BLU going towards  EDEN. No luck on BEYOND or ASCENT.

.On Ascent this was one of very few areas  (a hallway actually)  without music blaring 24/7.. Ascent is a  beautiful but noisy/ loud ship.  Hoping it calms down..maybe if cruise director changes out???

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wow!  This is way more books than I saw on our Ascent cruise this past January!  

Don't get excited: they're all in German. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, hcat said:

i get books uploaded for free  on my Tablet ..using the LIBBY APP...A local library where one has a valid borrower's card can help you install it...and getting the books is easy! 

Much easier than when we borrowed a Kindle for my mil!

I love Libby.   I use it quite frequently.   I never new of all the resources available through our Library System until a member, who was a librarian pointed me to the resources available.

7 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Kind of makes you want to see a movie instead 😁

We were on the Celebrity Edge May 2024 sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver. There were a LOT of (new) books in the upper floor of Eden. It might be the crossing from Australia to Hawaii due to so many sea days.

Realise its not the Edge, but on the topic of libraries does this mean the lovely library space on the S class ships is no more?

interesting. thanks for the update.

I see games and puzzles as well. .Is that along the ramp?

I also  see they used the fake coral and  useless Hoppen vases ( do not add water) to decorate the shelves.!

2 hours ago, SerraG said:

Current Edge library on the upper level

of Eden. 

IMG_7198.jpeg.cfd7ca4c79d1347f7bd724f5f439bc63.jpeg

Wow it’s sure expanded since I was last on the Edge, looks much more inviting.

6 hours ago, Bobal said:

Realise its not the Edge, but on the topic of libraries does this mean the lovely library space on the S class ships is no more?

The libraries on M Class Millie and Summit now have 2 inside cabins. I did a quick look at S Class ships. Seems like they still have libraries on deck 11.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Is that along the ramp

It’s at the top of the ramp. There is a long deep couch there and a few low tables.  We tried to sit on the couch to play a game, but it was so deep with no pillows that it was quite uncomfortable.  It might work as a bed for napping. Lol.