Balcony Decorations

12 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm just curious as to why...what's the reason to hang an American flag on a cruise that is (I assume) sailing to and from the US, full of American passengers? 

Is it ever wrong to rep our flag?  Wait, yes.  A bunch of rotten kids from my high school drive around in their Jeeps and pick-up trucks with GIANT American flags flying off the back.  Having taught them, I assure you they're not 'specially patriotic -- they aren't serious about saying the daily pledge, for example -- and those flags are a traffic hazzard.  I can't believe the police don't do something about it.  

But, in general, I believe in flying the flag.  

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wind has the potential to do a lot of destruction. You think a piece of cloth and some zip ties are stronger?

I don't think a flag in good condition's going to be a problem in normal wind -- hurricane wind or storm wind, that's a different story.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Is it ever wrong to rep our flag?  Wait, yes.  A bunch of rotten kids from my high school drive around in their Jeeps and pick-up trucks with GIANT American flags flying off the back.  Having taught them, I assure you they're not 'specially patriotic -- they aren't serious about saying the daily pledge, for example -- and those flags are a traffic hazzard.  I can't believe the police don't do something about it.  

But, in general, I believe in flying the flag.  

I don't think a flag in good condition's going to be a problem in normal wind -- hurricane wind or storm wind, that's a different story.  

You may think correctly but what really matters is what RCI thinks. And BTW, I'm all for the flag. It flies in front of my house every day unless the weather is bad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You may think correctly but what really matters is what RCI thinks. And BTW, I'm all for the flag. It flies in front of my house every day unless the weather is bad.

Mine flies 24/7/365. It's an all-weather flag and it's illuminated at night

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LEMJMcC said:

I think we'll chance it and fly Old Glory on the Fourth.  What's the worst that can happen?  We're asked to remove it...  

It falls into the ocean and becomes sea trash.  Hence the rules you would be ignoring.     

Why can't you display it on the inside of your balcony glass?  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

It falls into the ocean and becomes sea trash.  Hence the rules you would be ignoring.     

Why can't you display it on the inside of your balcony glass?  

THIS...anything you hang up should and can be done in the cabin, use some magnets and stick it right to the wall. No one sees it 90% of the time it's on the balcony anyway, and no one in port really cares what they see hanging from a balcony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

THIS...anything you hang up should and can be done in the cabin, use some magnets and stick it right to the wall. No one sees it 90% of the time it's on the balcony anyway, and no one in port really cares what they see hanging from a balcony. 

WRONG! I am proud to see an American flag displayed anywhere, anytime.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

WRONG! I am proud to see an American flag displayed anywhere, anytime.

The point you are missing...is not that we are un American, we love our American flag like anyone else...just that it is against the rules posted with RCI to hang it (or anything) on your balcony that you agree to in your cruise contract.  

Once again, the OP innocently asked a simple question "Is it permitted"?.   The answer: No, nothing permitted to hang on your balcony.  End of discussion.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Nothing to do with being patriotic or not:

1.      “Smoking/vaping is not permitted inside any stateroom and any stateroom balcony. If a guest is in violation of this stateroom policy, a cleaning fee of $250 USD will be applied to their SeaPass® account and may be subject to further actions*.”

2.      “Guests may not leave items unattended on balconies, as the wind may cause items to fall overboard.

Just need 2 guests who don’t think the policies apply to them and then you have: The Star Princess  fire in March 2006.  Cigarette on one balcony, items left on another balcony=Destroyed 85 cabins, ended the cruise, and fatality https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna11975460  

Edited by gadaboutgal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, I never said I was going to leave it up indefinitely or unattended, did I?  I will hang it on Independence Day, when we are in a US port and ensure it is properly secured and if I do leave the balcony for an extended time, I will remove it.  Not because I'm concerned one bit about the ocean, but I would never want to dishonor the US Flag by allowing it to touch the ground or surface of the sea.  I will remove it when I turn in for the night and see that it is properly and respectfully stowed.

Edited by LEMJMcC
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Hmmm, I never said I was going to leave it up indefinitely or unattended, did I?  I will hang it on Independence Day, when we are in a US port and ensure it is properly secured and if I do leave the balcony for an extended time, I will remove it.  Not because I'm concerned one bit about the ocean, but I would never want to dishonor the US Flag by allowing it to touch the ground or surface of the sea.  I will remove it when I turn in for the night and see that it is properly and respectfully stowed.

I guess I don't understand why you even posted this thread and asked if it is permitted.  You got your answer.  It simply was not what you wanted to hear?  

• Like 10

On 6/10/2024 at 7:53 AM, Another_Critic said:

His ship (Quantum) is sailing from the US and going to US ports.

We had a celebration of the King's coronation on our TA (Cape Liberty to Southampton).

WE had a  special July 4th meal on the Quantum in 2022. Ribs are what I remember

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The point you are missing...is not that we are un American, we love our American flag like anyone else...just that it is against the rules posted with RCI to hang it (or anything) on your balcony that you agree to in your cruise contract.  

Once again, the OP innocently asked a simple question "Is it permitted"?.   The answer: No, nothing permitted to hang on your balcony.  End of discussion.  

The point you are missing is that the person I quoted said "no one in port really cares what they see hanging from a balcony." I have been in many ports and I do care when I see an American flag hanging anywhere.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

What part of “it’s prohibited by Royal” are you not following?  🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Since you decided that you plan to hang your flag anyway, against Royal’s rules,  why did you bother to ask here? I’m curious why you feel it’s ok for you to do it anyway? 

They asked because they didn't know if it was allowed or not.  Multiple people in this thread said they hang things with no issues.  Not sure why a few continue to go after the OP.  He has made his choice and the cruise line will deal with it if they see fit.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:12 AM, Tree_skier said:

We had a celebration on Super Bowl Sunday.  I'd say you can celebrate anything and everything you want.

I made this banner during the Basketball playoffs for Allure back in 2013, but we taped it to the glass during sailaway, nothing on our balcony.  We used to see various flags back in the day also taped to the balcony glass, haven't seen it lately though.

b-3.jpg

6 hours ago, island lady said:

.just that it is against the rules posted with RCI to hang it (or anything) on your balcony that you agree to in your cruise contract.

That's not the rule that was posted...it had the caveat, "unattended" to it.

2.      “Guests may not leave items unattended on balconies, as the wind may cause items to fall overboard.

7 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

The fact that you're more concerned over a piece of fabric than the ocean just shows that you are going to do what you want, so this topic may as well be shut down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

They asked because they didn't know if it was allowed or not.  Multiple people in this thread said they hang things with no issues.  Not sure why a few continue to go after the OP.  He has made his choice and the cruise line will deal with it if they see fit.  

Well, I'm not really sure why he asked the question since it is clear that he is going to do whatever he wants to anyway.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I'm not really sure why he asked the question since it is clear that he is going to do whatever he wants to anyway.

That can be said about many questions that are asked here. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The point you are missing is that the person I quoted said "no one in port really cares what they see hanging from a balcony." I have been in many ports and I do care when I see an American flag hanging anywhere.

This thread is not about being un American if we do not hang a flag off the balcony.  Please don't go there.  I love my country, and I love my flag.  

The actual point is that hanging anything...anything ....off a balcony is not allowed and is as such printed in the rules of the contract you signed with RCI before you were allowed on the ship.  The question was asked if it was permitted...it is not.  Clear enough now?

• Like 1