Cabin change - very upset

We returned to our cabin mid afternoon on embarkation day to discover two suitcases had arrived incorrectly in our cabin. Our cabin stewards were there within minutes after we reported it. Keep in mind the suitcases were in our cabin, so obviously the stewards delivering luggage can go in your cabin.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

I have never been given that option either. Never

I booked online with HAL and it was an option to check as I finalized the booking. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We returned to our cabin mid afternoon on embarkation day to discover two suitcases had arrived incorrectly in our cabin. Our cabin stewards were there within minutes after we reported it. Keep in mind the suitcases were in our cabin, so obviously the stewards delivering luggage can go in your cabin.

I have had last minute upgrades on a few cruise lines and I know to go to the old assigned room to find my luggage or let my stewards know the old room number. Mr he world is not perfect, some things we have to think about.😉

• Like 5

@Florin  You are onboard.  Go to the Navigator App, choose Connect, Let Us Know, and someone will read your comment and call you in your stateroom.  You can explain what happened and could possibly have had your luggage redelivered more promptly.  You can also ask for an appointment to meet with the Hotel Manager.  If the room tends to be noisy a white noise machine will help or an App on your phone with soothing sounds for night time.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Your own cabin stewards would have placed them in the cabin as they are left in the hallway outside your door. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have had last minute upgrades on a few cruise lines and I know to go to the old assigned room to find my luggage or let my stewards know the old room number. Mr he world is not perfect, some things we have to think about.😉

Ours was a GTY booking, we received the assignment 7 or 8 days prior to boarding. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

It did seem odd that they couldn't go in the cabin. Not even security or the stewards assigned to that cabin? Really?

No idea if what you say is so but I've noticed a number of threads recently with eye-catching titles, for example including terms like "bait and switch", uniformly negative towards HAL. 

Well I hope you're right. Because these threads are starting to scare me. I really never had any problems thank goodness except the staff recently seems very confused on my last few cruises. But the staff has always always always always  been polite and courteous. I've never really had any kind of a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

If you disagree, please don’t flame me, just quietly disagree!  🙂 

Thanks for pointing out the time of my post. I was awake ALL NIGHT due to the noise and posted whilst desperately wanting some advice. I’m a 63 year old on my 40th wedding anniversary cruise and I am really upset (still). For those saying an extra bathroom is a bonus there is no toilet just a very tiny bath that only a very small person or a child could fit it. I’m a size 10 5’4 and I won’t fit in it.

The cabin we chose was in the middle of the ship because on previous cruises my husband has felt sick. I booked on the phone and the ( very nice) person I spoke to said she’d recommend that cabin in the centre away from lifts or noisy areas. It makes no sense to me that they have moved us to a slightly bigger cabin unless someone asked to be near another passenger in adjacent cabins or something.

We didn’t re print the luggage tags because we didn’t think of it and we were busy getting off a transatlantic flight and getting to the terminal. In fact we were confused and jet lagged and couldn’t quite believe that our cabin had been moved. 

We asked our steward ( who actually was trying very hard) but he referred us to guest relations about the bags and they steadfastly refused to help. I will never travel with Holland America again. I have asked to see the manager onboard. 

I have, by the way, tried to be polite and to just explain our position. I have never come across such defensive and unhelpful customer relations staff. Everyone else is lovely. 

Thank you to those on here who sympathised. I am emotional. It’s our anniversary today. 

• Like 20

Aloha Florin,

First and foremost Happy Anniversary! I do empathize with you. The thing I think I may be most upset with is how I was treated by front desk, more so than the room change itself.

I hope the rest of this post is accepted with the kindness it is offered. I mean no disrespect.  May I kindly remind you that we can not control external events (things like room changes), but we can control how we respond to them. I totally understand being upset, but on this day, I wish that you are able to put the negative emptions to rest and celebrate 40 years of marriage!!! That is truly a wonderful accomplishment. You are together, and on a cruise, it sounds like a very lovely way to celebrate from this outsiders perspective. 

I'll be sending you lots of aloha energy in the hopes that following some of the above advice may lead to more resolution from the cruise line. I found senior staff on the Koningsdam to be quite responsive. Some of the front desk not-so-much. No matter what happens, I do wish you a wonderful remainder of your cruise.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Florin said:

Thanks for pointing out the time of my post. I was awake ALL NIGHT due to the noise and posted whilst desperately wanting some advice. I’m a 63 year old on my 40th wedding anniversary cruise and I am really upset (still). For those saying an extra bathroom is a bonus there is no toilet just a very tiny bath that only a very small person or a child could fit it. I’m a size 10 5’4 and I won’t fit in it.

The cabin we chose was in the middle of the ship because on previous cruises my husband has felt sick. I booked on the phone and the ( very nice) person I spoke to said she’d recommend that cabin in the centre away from lifts or noisy areas. It makes no sense to me that they have moved us to a slightly bigger cabin unless someone asked to be near another passenger in adjacent cabins or something.

We didn’t re print the luggage tags because we didn’t think of it and we were busy getting off a transatlantic flight and getting to the terminal. In fact we were confused and jet lagged and couldn’t quite believe that our cabin had been moved. 

We asked our steward ( who actually was trying very hard) but he referred us to guest relations about the bags and they steadfastly refused to help. I will never travel with Holland America again. I have asked to see the manager onboard. 

I have, by the way, tried to be polite and to just explain our position. I have never come across such defensive and unhelpful customer relations staff. Everyone else is lovely. 

Thank you to those on here who sympathised. I am emotional. It’s our anniversary today. 

Happy Anniversary, even if it isn't how you envisioned it. And thank you for coming back to add details. If they can't move you, at least I hope they do something--Pinnacle dinner, some OBC by way of apology.

• Like 5

@FlorinI hope that you have a happy anniversary and enjoy Alaska.  I never deal with the people at the counter at Guest Services. Use the Navigator App to state the facts, your cabin was moved, the new one is noisy and your DH tends towards sea sickness, your luggage was placed in the wrong cabin.  Request a call.  When they call you, ask to speak to a supervisor.  If unavailable, ask to schedule an appointment with the hotel manager.  Make reasonable requests…new room,  OBC.  Good luck.  I hope you have a better night.

• Like 8

Happy Anniversary and please try and not let this beginning ruin your trip. It sounds like you booked over the phone. The agent wrongfully checked the box that said you would be interested in upgrades. She should have offered you the choice to check no and you'd have kept your original cabin. HAL's version of what is a better cabin is not necessarily what we would think is a better cabin. We always check no. Not going to get the bags from another room is ridiculous and, hopefully, someone will address that. I hope that the hotel manager will be able to help you - maybe try ear plugs, white noise, or something. We have turned on the tv with low volume to the forward camera channel which at night is dark (because of a dark sky) and it has classical music playing. That has helped me go to sleep - you might try that. Try and look for the good in the cruise and you will find it - it will be the friendliness of the cabin steward, the beauty of the scenery, the excitement of pulling in to a new port. I know it's upsetting but it's early days still with several to go. You have the power to make it a good trip.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I have never been given that option either. Never

Right before you finalize your booking, it asks you if you want to opt in to the complimentary upgrade. (I think it's a button, but I could be wrong.) If you book a guarantee, that option is not there - because you haven't picked a room.

To the OP, welcome to CruiseCritic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Right before you finalize your booking, it asks you if you want to opt in to the complimentary upgrade. (I think it's a button, but I could be wrong.) If you book a guarantee, that option is not there - because you haven't picked a room.

To the OP, welcome to CruiseCritic.

That's interesting. I always pick my own room. I've never seen that option. I probably just moved over it and didn't even realize it was there. I will call my travel agent though and make sure that for my next 2 cruises I don't want any upgrades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jp12 said:

Happy Anniversary and please try and not let this beginning ruin your trip. It sounds like you booked over the phone. The agent wrongfully checked the box that said you would be interested in upgrades. She should have offered you the choice to check no and you'd have kept your original cabin. HAL's version of what is a better cabin is not necessarily what we would think is a better cabin. We always check no. Not going to get the bags from another room is ridiculous and, hopefully, someone will address that. I hope that the hotel manager will be able to help you - maybe try ear plugs, white noise, or something. We have turned on the tv with low volume to the forward camera channel which at night is dark (because of a dark sky) and it has classical music playing. That has helped me go to sleep - you might try that. Try and look for the good in the cruise and you will find it - it will be the friendliness of the cabin steward, the beauty of the scenery, the excitement of pulling in to a new port. I know it's upsetting but it's early days still with several to go. You have the power to make it a good trip.

Good feedback.

Last year we were in Family OV 1149. Both my husband and I. Opted that rooms just a few back from us had considerable noise that we could hear from the hallway. We were grateful to be where we were even though we could hear the chairs being moved in Club Orange. We actually like the shower in the “no toilet” bathroom better than the full bathroom. 

mayne they can find you a different room for sleeping.  I’ve read they sometimes have inside rooms available that they are able to move people to just for this reason. 

Wishing you luck and a happy anniversary. 

We were also on the Koningsdam to Alaska in Sept 2023.  Been to Guest Services a few times.  Most of the time, the persons I talked to didn't seem all that interested in talking to me even when no one was in line behind me.

In reading the comments on other threads on Cruise Critic, other people on other ships also did not get service from Guest Services.  It is a hit and miss depending how lucky you are.

In my opinion, you were badly treated and should file a complaint before you leave the ship. 

• Like 1

As the OP indicated that she and her husband took a transatlantic flight to get to the Alaska cruise, and in her second post refers to "lifts", I suspect that they reside in Europe, probably the UK. As there are a number of differences in the booking policies and procedures between the US and UK and other HAL booking centres, is it possible that there is no option to refuse upgrades during the booking process? 

• Like 6

I feel your frustration and I would be upset too.  I am aware of the upgrade feature and always say no.  Like you, I like to pick my cabin mid-ship, ocean view, making sure what is above me.  

I would push for some sort of nice meal, and maybe being moved if possible.  

Good luck and Happy Anniversary to you and yours.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Florin said:

We have just boarded a Holland America Alaska cruise on Koningsdam. Having spent a long time researching cabins we booked an ocean view cabin in the middle of the ship, not near any elevators or noisy areas, back in September 2023. We checked in and printed our luggage tags and boarding passes two weeks ago, but the night before we boarded we noticed that our cabin number had changed on the Navigator app. On boarding we went straight to the desk and asked why. We were told that our new cabin was larger and therefore an upgrade and that the ship was full so we couldn’t move to our previously allocated cabin.

Our bags did not arrive in our cabin, and although we asked at the desk no one seemed interested in finding them. I very quickly realised that our luggage tags had our original cabin number on them and told them this. However,  they refused to go to that cabin to look for our bags. They said they could not remove bags from another person’s cabin. They didn’t make an announcement or try to look for the passengers in the cabin containing our bags, they just said if the bags were in there they couldn’t do anything. In the end my husband went and stood outside our original cabin. At 9 pm the passengers arrived at their cabin and sure enough our bags were in there. This ruined the embarkation day for us. 

The new cabin is not an upgrade, it is a family cabin very slightly bigger but only because there is an extra bathroom with a tiny bath for children. The wardrobe is completely taken up with 5 life jackets, the cabin is in a horrible position at the back of the ship, and it seems to be right underneath the engines with banging and whining going on all the time. I can’t possibly sleep with all the noise. We do not understand why we were moved to this cabin and we are really upset. We have not been offered any other cabin or compensation and at this point in time we just want to get off the ship. Any advice at all would be appreciated. 

When you noticed the night before did you print out new luggage tags or even cross out the old room number and write the new one on the tags you attached to the bags?

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, bajae said:

I booked online with HAL and it was an option to check as I finalized the booking. 

You can always have it add to a booking after you book it, your TA could do it or if you booked directly Holland American, always call and make sure it is on the booking.    IF YOU WANT.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, cruise is very popular right now.  Ships are sailing at capacity which means that HAL and every other cruise line wants all the beds full, probably needs all the beds full due to the current world wide economic situation.  So if you book a room that could accommodate 3 or 4 and there are only two of you, the cruise line is going to move you to get bodies in those unused beds.  The only solution I can come up with if a no upgrade selection is no longer an option is to choose your cabin carefully making sure it is a double not a triple or quad or an accessible room if you don’t specifically need it.  But you are on a cruise to Alaska.  Can’t be all that horrible.  

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Se4deb said:

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, cruise is very popular right now.  Ships are sailing at capacity which means that HAL and every other cruise line wants all the beds full, probably needs all the beds full due to the current world wide economic situation.  So if you book a room that could accommodate 3 or 4 and there are only two of you, the cruise line is going to move you to get bodies in those unused beds.  The only solution I can come up with if a no upgrade selection is no longer an option is to choose your cabin carefully making sure it is a double not a triple or quad or an accessible room if you don’t specifically need it.  But you are on a cruise to Alaska.  Can’t be all that horrible.  

What's confusing me is that it seems they were moved to a room that was more suited to a larger group than their previous one. If they weren't moved out of an accessible cabin for a guest that needed it, then I don't know what was going on. 

Edited by Menocchio
  • Like 8

During the post Covid period we all were spoiled IMO with good cabin upgrades and assignments.   Now that the ships are filling up, we all need to be more careful with our bookings.  As already mentioned - be sure to mark your reservation Do Not Upgrade, unless you are certain that you would be happy with ANY cabin rated higher by HAL.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1