The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 16th, 2024

I have not been to Mumbai, I really like Chenin Blanc, wouldn't be adverse to trying an Arnold Palmer and no thanks to today's meal as I don't care for eggplant. Roy's alternative meal sounds good.

My father passed 20 years ago today at the age of 92.

I am finally feeling good although I still tire easily. Who knows if that is left over from the Covid or if it a part of my new normal. I have been getting physical therapy for the Vertigo and it has been amazing. Next week I may get to begin cardiac rehab to increase my stamina. @JazzyVplease remove me from the care list.

Happy father's day to all who qualify. Prayers for all who need them and hurrah's for all who don't.

Jane 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Concern about obnoxious dinner companions is what keeps me from selecting fixed seating, but my worst experience of that kind had nothing to do with dinner seating. It was a winter cruise during which it seemed like everyone I met started to berate me over politics. I never initiate political discussion with new acquaintances, but the moment they heard what state I live in, they were off and ranting.

• Like 17

25 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Concern about obnoxious dinner companions is what keeps me from selecting fixed seating, but my worst experience of that kind had nothing to do with dinner seating. It was a winter cruise during which it seemed like everyone I met started to berate me over politics. I never initiate political discussion with new acquaintances, but the moment they heard what state I live in, they were off and ranting.

Unless you have moved since then or things have changed dramatically, I would guess the politics of where you are/were are dramatically different from what they guessed.

The only time I have ever asked to be moved to another table was due to a rabid political talker at my table.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, great pictures of your dad.  We've had our share of complainers, and other obnoxious dining companions.  Once, even though the host was way ahead of me, when I saw the very obnoxious man from the night before, I turned around dragging DH with me, and said some other table.  We've been lucky to not have too many of those situations over the years.

Lenda

I am so thankful I am not the only one!  This occurred on that same cruise.  The very first morning I went to the dining room for breakfast and one of the women seated at the table began to complain about her cruise on the Rottendam.  Now, what could have gone so terribly wrong in less than a day.  Well, the beds were supposed to be separated and they weren't.  The stewards did separate them before bedtime, but it wasn't done when they boarded and she had to look at that full sized bed.  After all, her traveling companion wasn't a romantic interest, just a friend who lived in the same gated community she lived in.  And, to top it off, she didn't feel special.  I refrained from telling her just how special she was.  

I did have one guy who wanted to talk politics but I kept reminding him we had a no politics agreement.  I told him I wanted to stay friends and it would be best if we skipped that topic.  It was so hard for him, but I would occasionally have to say, "Now, Louis!  No politics!"  

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Unless you have moved since then or things have changed dramatically, I would guess the politics of where you are/were are dramatically different from what they guessed.

The only time I have ever asked to be moved to another table was due to a rabid political talker at my table.

Roy

Well, we requested a 2 top after experiencing a couple at a table of 6, that were actually with our political party went on and on and on, making the 3rd couple not saying a word . We do not discuss religion or politics.  Ever..

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm still where you probably think I am.

I left a dinner table once because of political talk. This was on RCI, during a Baltic cruise. When we were overnight at St. Petersburg, it disarranged all the dinner seating: some people with early dining had day excursions that would come back too late, and some with late dining had evening excursions that would leave too early. To cope with that, they made it all open seating at large, shared tables. Another American asked me a question out of the blue about politics, which I tried to deflect. But then someone else, not from the U.S., picked up the topic and would not be persuaded to stop.

• Like 16

Happy Father's Day, and hope everyone is having a nice day.  DD gave Pat a gift card for 5 car washes - mainly, I think, because her car needs a wash....  He'll be a good father and take it in next week, before the California cousins arrive on Wednesday.  After hearing the Covid stories here (so sorry, Terri, hope you recover quickly), I have decided I should wear a mask in crowds for the next 11 days!  I think there was one other person at church wearing a mask, but I also didn't hear any coughing, so that was good.  After church, we usually go to breakfast with my cousin and her hubby, she had a fall last week, and is really, really, banged up.  Nothing broken, fortunately (she spent most of the day at the hospital being x-rayed, etc., but her face is cut up and bruised, also her hands.  Also 4 people at our exercise class fell, two broke hips, one broke her pelvis and one, the eldest at 91, is okay.  Disaster zone here!  

I love eggplant, so would enjoy the meal, but we are having steaks and vegetable lasagna tonight.  I will do the steaks, and not make Pat get the barbecue out.  I think he is progressing toward needing that new valve, because he is tiring very quickly since he got back from England, plus it might be just a bit of jet lag.

After seeing @sailingdutchy Tony's vegetable garden yesterday, I thought I would post mine - one tomato, 9 beans (my radishes were a failure, too) and a zucchini, plus some parsley.  Oh, and my pot of 6 lettuces which are beginning to bolt!

IMG_5238.thumb.jpeg.bab80ea06a2f1c006038eddc05a0d0a3.jpeg

IMG_5240.thumb.jpeg.fb82e5f563fd98c78999b97efdfb72c8.jpeg

We are being threatened with funnel clouds - I wonder if they are tornados in Canadian - and as we drove home from breakfast, we saw this.

IMG_5237.thumb.jpeg.2326ca3e67ab4cf26a391a4adfb86b8f.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We were seated at a table for eight on a two week cruise, and one of the women at the table was, to put it mildly, rather fanatical about politics. Unfortunately she was a friend we’d met on a previous cruise and we were travelling together.  

She kept going on and on, and then finally started tearing into the Canadian medical system. This was after they almost lost their house, because they didn’t have enough medical insurance to cover her husband‘s heart procedures. On the third night, when she started ranting, and I warned DH that I was going to do this, I turned to her and said if you’re going to continue talking about politics and denigrating our  Health system and our political system, I’m not going to stand for it any longer. I’m leaving. She didn’t believe me. so I got up and left the table.  I waited for DH in a nearby lounge, and stood my ground when she tried to rant again.  

Suffice to say, we never cruised with them again.  

And like @kochleffelto keep this on topic, I’ve never been to Mumbai either. 

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We were seated at a table for eight on a two week cruise, and one of the women at the table was, to put it mildly, rather fanatical about politics. Unfortunately she was a friend we’d met on a previous cruise and we were travelling together.  

She kept going on and on, and then finally started tearing into the Canadian medical system. This was after they almost lost their house, because they didn’t have enough medical insurance to cover her husband‘s heart procedures. On the third night, when she started ranting, and I warned DH that I was going to do this, I turned to her and said if you’re going to continue talking about politics and denigrating our  Health system and our political system, I’m not going to stand for it any longer. I’m leaving. She didn’t believe me. so I got up and left the table.  I waited for DH in a nearby lounge, and stood my ground when she tried to rant again.  

Suffice to say, we never cruised with them again.  

And like @kochleffelto keep this on topic, I’ve never been to Mumbai either. 

Good for you Gerry!

My husband has STRONG political beliefs, but refuses to have input in a conversation on board.  We have requested a table for two the last few cruises,  because I can not enjoy a meal with opposing people. 

• Like 12

Good evening.  The brisket was the best we've ever cooked, and really the best we've ever had.  I think it is in part due to the marbling of the meat, something you don’t usually see in brisket.  The Mexican salad with corn and black beans was even better than expected.  I'm not sure when it was the meal of the day, or which recipe I chose, but it's a keeper.

My father always said there is a silver lining in any situation.  In this case, it was Rich @richwmn turning the Fleet Report into the Daily on 2020, and then adding a daily meal.  Otherwise, I would not have heard of the salad and tried it.  So, thank you very much Rich.

3 hours ago, lazey1 said:

I have not been to Mumbai, I really like Chenin Blanc, wouldn't be adverse to trying an Arnold Palmer and no thanks to today's meal as I don't care for eggplant. Roy's alternative meal sounds good.

I am finally feeling good although I still tire easily. Who knows if that is left over from the Covid or if it a part of my new normal. I have been getting physical therapy for the Vertigo and it has been amazing. Next week I may get to begin cardiac rehab to increase my stamina. @JazzyVplease remove me from the care list.

Happy father's day to all who qualify. Prayers for all who need them and hurrah's for all who don't.

Jane 

Jane, I hope the good memories of your father made this anniversary easier.  I'm glad you are feeling better, and that the pt is helping with the vertigo.  I hope you can begin cardiac rehab next week, and that it increases your stamina.

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

We never discuss politics or religion, especially after a lady thought it would be okay given where the six of us at the table were from.  The first night it didn't go well, and we stuck to other topics from then on.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I am so thankful I am not the only one!  This occurred on that same cruise.  The very first morning I went to the dining room for breakfast and one of the women seated at the table began to complain about her cruise on the Rottendam.  Now, what could have gone so terribly wrong in less than a day.  Well, the beds were supposed to be separated and they weren't.  The stewards did separate them before bedtime, but it wasn't done when they boarded and she had to look at that full sized bed.  After all, her traveling companion wasn't a romantic interest, just a friend who lived in the same gated community she lived in.  And, to top it off, she didn't feel special.  I refrained from telling her just how special she was.  

I did have one guy who wanted to talk politics but I kept reminding him we had a no politics agreement.  I told him I wanted to stay friends and it would be best if we skipped that topic.  It was so hard for him, but I would occasionally have to say, "Now, Louis!  No politics!"  

Sometime it is better to change tables.  Once the easiest thing was to switch to open seating.

Lenda

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We never discuss politics or religion

I don't introduce religion into conversation, either, but I wouldn't lie about my occupation, so sometimes it came up. I have been tempted to lie about where I live.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Jane 

Jane, 

I hope you get over your fatigue soon,  it is not easy.

This is my second time with Covid.  After the first time I could not shake the fatigue for months.  I am really hoping this does not happen again.

Take care.

Terri

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We generally choose fixed dining with a table for four or six and have always enjoyed interacting with the other guests.  However, once on a 49 day cruise around South America we were seated with two German speaking couples and one of the couples spoke very little English.  Looked like we wouldn't get to know them.  It was surprising that after a week or so we all began conversing with each other and by the end of the cruise we were invited to visit the other couples at their homes in Germany if we happened to cruise in the area.

Ray

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Roy @rafinmd, what a great picture of your father. You resemble him!

We have been seated with complainers. The worst was an anniversary cruise seated at a large table for eight. It seemed they were all friends and traveled together to the ship. The constant rehashing of their travels and complaining of this and that just did me in. We asked to be seated at another table that very evening. And it was one of the last times we had a shared table. 

We always get a table for 2 for the same reasons.

We also always dine in speciality restaurants for dinner because the extra charge is worth it to us.

53°F and clear in North East England at the moment.

I hope everyone is safe and looking forward to the new week.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Today a cloudy today, had business appointments this afternoon, when finished rain had begun, fog descended by the time we arrived home.  Tonight thick fog hiding the city lights below.   

During our second cruise to Alaska on the Volendam, were seated at a large table for breakfast in the Kings Room, when we sat down we said "Good morning" to fellow passengers to be greeted with  grunts.   After that we either made our breakfast in the Neptune Lounge, or ordered room service.. At that time, Breakfast was not served in the Pinnacle Grill.

We always request a dinner table for 2 in the main dining room

Politics, Money and Religion should not be discussed in polite society.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for replying to my query yesterday.  Hope you are  doing OK?

@Cruzin Terri sorry that you have COVID, hope you recover quickly .

@Vict0riann  sending lots of positive thought to you.

To stay on topic, have not been to Mumbai.

Goodnight.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, erewhon said:

To stay on topic, have not been to Mumbai.

I think maybe the topic here is a wildly diverse and welcoming group of people who care about each other, uniformly love cruising, and generally Holland America but not to the exclusion of others.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I think maybe the topic here is a wildly diverse and welcoming group of people who care about each other, uniformly love cruising, and generally Holland America but not to the exclusion of others.

Roy

Roy, I agree with you.  This is an unique thread that starts new each day with a unique group of regular posters who have become friends over the last four years.  Rich starts us off with certain topics which most generally comment about before adding what is happening in their lives that day..  In other words, we have a polite conversation each day without going into the two no-no areas of religion and politics.  It helps that we care about and respect each other.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2