Unique to UK sailings

ktcishot

I've heard that on UK sailings you get an electric kettle in your stateroom. Are there any other on-board features unique to cruises departing from the UK?

Only thing we have found is the kettle in the room with coffee and tea.  I will say on our British Isles cruise the bars were busy alot

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

The British tend to dress up for formal nights. Black tie and suits. It’s lovely to watch them all looking great. 

Yes...very James Bond-ish! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My wife loved having a kettle in the room when we sailed out of Southampton for the Norther Lights in Norway. We have two cruises leaving from Southampton next year and will hopefully have a kettle for those. The first one I expect we will have a kettle as it's Ireland, Scotland, etc. However, the one after that goes from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale and I'm thinking there may well not be a kettle provided on that sailing.

As for dressing up: I don't own a tux but I am one of the weirdos who wears a suit on Formal Nights. It doesn't bother me at all even though we are flying to Ireland from California. We tend to take one checked bag and two carry on bags when we fly for cruises. No big deal to pack a suit.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't recall any kettles on our last TA from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. 

Same - I can't recall a kettle on any of our sailings out of Southampton.  Maybe only certain cabin classes, IDK.  

I definitely had a kettle in my cabin on the Sky TA last November. And being a Brit, I took along a box of YorkshireTeabags. I was in a deluxe balcony. And the dress code for formal nights was as diverse as ever. Always wonderful to watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will def be taking Yorkshire T bags on our Regal cruise. Always have a kettle on P&O so hopefully same on Princess. Only used once a day for early morning tea but we do love that first cuppa. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't recall any kettles on our last TA from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. 

You can order the kettle and coffee/tea from the menu in the medallion app.  At least we were able to last fall.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sandancer said:

Will def be taking Yorkshire T bags on our Regal cruise. Always have a kettle on P&O so hopefully same on Princess. Only used once a day for early morning tea but we do love that first cuppa. 

Britishism of the thread 😆❤️

The tea(bag)selection on Caribbean P in buffet  has been ok

Tetley English breakfast.

Twinings English breakfast and Every Day

Some organic brand forgot.

Still have the worst tea ever Lipton's.

We were on our 9th Princess cruise last November on the Sky out of Ft. Lauderdale. She had just arrived from a transatlantic from England. Our mini-suite had a kettle. First time I had every seen one in the US market. Nice touch if you love tea.

We are on the Sky right now, our third year sailing from Southampton. We love these cruises out of Britain. Wonderful fellow passengers - truly just the best each year. This is not a knock to my fellow Americans, but the overall politeness factor compared to our LA based sailings is noticeable. 

This particular cruise to the Norwegian fjords and Arctic circle has a bit more varied passenger base then our Med cruise last year and British Isles cruise the year before, but the majority of our fellow cruisers seem to be Brits. 

We do have a kettle again in our stateroom this year, fish and chips and other classic British fare offered everyday in the buffet, and much nicer Afternoon Tea Service. Also, a bit more UK targeted questions on the trivias. Definitely a bit more dressy on formal nights. 

Overall, Southampton has become our favorite departure port and I see it as our jumping off point for most future Europe cruises for years to come!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2024 at 5:53 PM, suzyed said:

You can order the kettle and coffee/tea from the menu in the medallion app.  At least we were able to last fall.

Mention of coffee perked me up! (see what I did there 🙂).   Now I want a kettle!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The tea(bag)selection on Caribbean P in buffet  has been ok

Tetley English breakfast.

Twinings English breakfast and Every Day

Some organic brand forgot.

Still have the worst tea ever Lipton's.

A few years back Princess put in a dedicated Tea Library and tea room on Grand Princess.  They had no fewer than 140 different kinds of tea in glass fronted cabinets.  You sat at the tables and they brought over your selection in a pot with an egg timer so you could brew to your requirements. It was also possible to buy a bulk amount to take home.  

Regards John

25 minutes ago, john watson said:

A few years back Princess put in a dedicated Tea Library and tea room on Grand Princess.  They had no fewer than 140 different kinds of tea in glass fronted cabinets.  You sat at the tables and they brought over your selection in a pot with an egg timer so you could brew to your requirements. It was also possible to buy a bulk amount to take home.  

Regards John

The last couple of times I was on the Grand (2022/2023) the Tea Room was dark.  Never saw anyone servicing the area.