Gty cancellations

GMomKassie

It would be EXTREMELY RARE.  They usually only sell Guarantees when they pretty well know they have cabins available. It's just that they're not always available in the category of the guarantee.  Say they have balconies available, but no OVs...they will sell some OV guarantees because they know they can free some up when they accept some RoyalUp bids or otherwise upgrade someone.  Selling Guarantees gives them some flexibility in cabin assignments while allowing them to keep selling cruises at varying price levels even when the availability doesn't have that current flexibility.

It would take some crazy miscalculations for them not to have a cabin for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GMomKassie said:

never booked GTY before, now kind of regretting

While even less of a chance, you could get bumped even in an assigned cabin. Most of the time it’s not due to overbooking but some unique issue on the ship which removes some cabins from inventory. 

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

While even less of a chance, you could get bumped even in an assigned cabin. Most of the time it’s not due to overbooking but some unique issue on the ship which removes some cabins from inventory. 

In 27yrs being on Cruise Critic think only remember about 6 times where someone was Bumped and Couldn't Sail. One they were a last min Booking(double Booked what was said), 2 were a Guarantees(Over Booked), rest I think were Lifeboat Station was Full in that Cabins area

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Not once have I ever seen an assign cabin change. Show your proof

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

The CC search function limits searches to the last two years and it’s unlikely one has happened in that time but I am

pretty sure one was reported in the last 20 years. You are very unlikely to hear about it since the customer takes the offer from RCI and is happy to be bumped with the compensation offered. We are not talking about involuntary bumping. 

32 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The CC search function limits searches to the last two years and it’s unlikely one has happened in that time but I am

pretty sure one was reported in the last 20 years. You are very unlikely to hear about it since the customer takes the offer from RCI and is happy to be bumped with the compensation offered. We are not talking about involuntary bumping. 

You are correct. Been a member here a long time and seen this reported a few time both on RCL and Carnival. In particular, I seem to remember a thread about a broken pipe taking out a bunch of rooms due to flooding that effected 2 or 3 down-stream cruises. There were also numerous reports of this happening during the COVID come-back period. Folks mentioned booking rooms that were subsequently removed due to the "mandatory seperation". Some were just moved/upgraded to another part of the ship but others had their reservations cancelled and were given future cruise credit. While rare, it does happen.

As for the OP's concern about Guarantee, the incident that happened 6 or so months ago was the first I had seen reguarding someone with a Guarantee room getting bumped. Super, super rare. Not worth worrying about. You are FAR more likely to get a free 2-level uprgrade (not as common as in the past, but still does happen) than to get bumped.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I booked an Inside GTY on Quantum.  I was assigned an OV.  Later I was assigned a Balcony.  🙂

Booked an assigned cabin on Enchantment in March 2022.  Was moved to another cabin in the same category.

19 hours ago, GMomKassie said:

Any know how often Guarantee cabin bookings get cancelled due to over booking?

never booked GTY before, now kind of regretting

Don't regret your money-saving choice!  We almost always sail Guarantee, and we've literally always been happy!  

A Guarantee losing its place on a sailing is extremely rare.  When the idea rears its ugly head on this board, it's always fear of what could happen fueled by extremely rare circumstances.  

Having said that, if I didn't have my room number /didn't know my assigned spot 3 days before leaving for the port, I'd camp out on the phone and be the squeaky wheel -- tell me!  assign me!  time is short!  But this seems like a far-fetched possibility.  

My personal experience with Guarantees: 

- I drive myself crazy wanting to know the room number, but it's worthwhile because the financial savings is real. 

- We almost always are assigned a room about 3-4 weeks before the cruise.  Always after check-ins start.

- Since we learned "the barcode trick", we've been able to learn our number a few days earlier, and it's always been right.  

- We're usually assigned to a 6th floor mid-ship room.  6th floor isn't particularly popular among cruisers, but it's become our favorite.  

- We've had "minor upgrades":  Paid for an interior /was assigned to an obstructed oceanview.  Paid for an interior /was assigned to a Promenade Cabin (which technically is still an interior).  Paid for an interior /was assigned to an interior handicapped room (the space was nice!).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We were bumped from our assigned room on Allure in February 2022 at embarkation due to an issue with the latch and the door on the balcony

But you were moved to another room.  That can happen -- the ship can't help that sometimes a previous cruiser damages a room, or something mechanical goes bad -- and this stuff can happen literally hours before you board.  

The original poster is concerned about losing his place on the cruise.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But you were moved to another room.  That can happen -- the ship can't help that sometimes a previous cruiser damages a room, or something mechanical goes bad -- and this stuff can happen literally hours before you board.  

The original poster is concerned about losing his place on the cruise.  

But the post I was responding to said they had never seen “an assigned cabin CHANGED”, not denied boarding.