Water Bottles on Celebrity

Let me start off that I am part of the Earth Angels at church, so I pay attention to waste and recycling when I am traveling.

Our first cruise on X was Solstice in 2022 and was impressed the still water came in recyclable aluminum bottles as did the beer.

Our second cruise on X was Edge in 2023 and it was all plastic bottles for still water.  I don't remember how the beer came.

Have they gone from aluminum to plastic again, or was this just a fluke?

Beyond is up next year so we will see what they do.

1 minute ago, ScottC4746 said:

Let me start off that I am part of the Earth Angels at church, so I pay attention to waste and recycling when I am traveling.

Our first cruise on X was Solstice in 2022 and was impressed the still water came in recyclable aluminum bottles as did the beer.

Our second cruise on X was Edge in 2023 and it was all plastic bottles for still water.  I don't remember how the beer came.

I think they may have done away with the aluminum bottles and replaced with plastic. They were hard to open when wet. Haven't seen them on my last 3 cruises.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I think they may have done away with the aluminum bottles and replaced with plastic. They were hard to open when wet. Haven't seen them on my last 3 cruises.

That is sad.  I actually found them easier to open, dry or wet.

8 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just a fluke.  It all depends on what is available at whatever port the ship last loaded supplies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I read here that a couple people cut their finger on the aluminum guess it can be sharp. If you have arthritis in your fingers it can be a nightmare. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I read here that a couple people cut their finger on the aluminum guess it can be sharp. If you have arthritis in your fingers it can be a nightmare. 

Or if you have a muscle tremor not entirely fixed by medication!  

Many people bring their own water bottle and fill up around the ship using a clean glass or cup to fill it.  Plus the tap water from your cabin sink is perfectly drinkable.  I drink it all the time even when my husband says to drink the bottled water.  I leave that for him since he is more particular.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Or if you have a muscle tremor not entirely fixed by medication!  

Many people bring their own water bottle and fill up around the ship using a clean glass or cup to fill it.  Plus the tap water from your cabin sink is perfectly drinkable.  I drink it all the time even when my husband says to drink the bottled water.  I leave that for him since he is more particular.

The ships water is perfectly fine I drink it all the time with my meals. I really don't understand why some fuss about it saying its not safe to drink.  

• Like 2

I believe the aluminum water cans were "discontinued" due to guest feedback (taste, non-resealable, sharp edges). I'm sure the smart people out there are working on alternatives to plastic bottles of water. 

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

The most environmentally, friendly, in that it creates the least waste, way to get water is to bring your own water jug and fill it from the tap.

if you are at the dispensers in the oceanview Café, fill a glass with water and then transfer to your water jug so you don’t risk contaminating the spigot

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Agreed. Have not had the aluminum bottles in a long time.  Back to plastic.

The aluminum ones were difficult for many cruisers to open.  Maybe we can make some cruisers happy by going back to the cartons of water.

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Is the a religious thing ? 🤔

I always thought people should pay attention to reducing waste and recycling 😉

if you worried about water containers , and don’t like the taste of the ships water , even though everything is made with it eg ice , soup, bread etc

Get a Brita filter bottle to go https://www.brita.ca/water-bottles/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Many people bring their own water bottle and fill up around the ship using a clean glass or cup to fill i

Which is actually even better than the aluminum cans - and far more fitting for an "Earth Angel".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The ships water is perfectly fine I drink it all the time with my meals. I really don't understand why some fuss about it saying its not safe to drink.  

I could tell you, but would you prefer not to know?  To be clear, I wouldn't call it unsafe, perhaps very undesirable

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I could tell you, but would you prefer not to know?  To be clear, I wouldn't call it unsafe, perhaps very undesirable

Do you want to tell a story or???

Truth be told, most cruise ships for fuel use Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO), why do you think the E-Class Aft staterooms like the SVs get complaints about soot?

New ships are coming online with the ability to use liquefied natural gas (LNG) which is overwhelmingly greener from "mine to prop" yet those ships rarely use LNG and continue to use HFO.  As an individual, any green behavior you perform on the ship is just a drop in the bucket, yet taking some green actions makes me feel better so perhaps makes others feel better

Next, we have the recycling facilities themselves, their recycling capacity/effectiveness is based on Government/municipal funding meaning your tax dollar somewhat dictates how much these facilities recycle

The transition to biodegradable plastics has already begun which ultimately is a good thing because you don't need to change your behavior.  This study is 6 years old but the % is high; biodegradable plastics will solve this

image.thumb.png.eb0ab65781385ddc326591dfe08a5426.png

10 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Same, I really dislike plastic bottles.

I thought NCL used Flow water, that would be a good alternative but guess its not 'cheap'.

Just now, Lena11033 said:

Same, I really dislike plastic bottles.

I thought NCL used Flow water, that would be a good alternative but guess its not 'cheap'.

It felt premium and you could easily refill it assuming one is okay with the water running through the ship's pipes.  An X bartender told me the secret to opening them, holding the top static and twisting the bottle open.  Larger diameter = greater mechanical advantage

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It felt premium and you could easily refill it assuming one is okay with the water running through the ship's pipes.  An X bartender told me the secret to opening them, holding the top static and twisting the bottle open.  Larger diameter = greater mechanical advantage

I'll try that, I have issues with grip sometimes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Actually the ship's water probably has less contaminants than the natural spring water you think you are getting in those bottles. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

Actually the ship's water probably has less contaminants than the natural spring water you think you are getting in those bottles. 

I like the ships water. At home I use plain tap which I keep in a thermos in fridge. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

They were hard to open and some People found Mold inside their bottles, including Friends of ours.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I drank the water from the tap as the taste was better than the brand with a sulfur taste that was provided in plastic bottles.  

• Like 1