Value for Dollars Classic versus Premium Drink Package

It all depends is it worth it for you.  Plenty of drinks on classic. The menus you see just show speciality drinks.  The drink price depends on liquor use Ie absolute vs grey goose/premium.  

If your drink can be made from the liquors on the Classic package then it is covered.  

The reason to upgrade, imo, is if you are wine drinker, want the large specialty martinis at the Martini Bar, drink sparkling water, energy drinks or vitamin water.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 4:45 PM, newtocruisingcdn said:

Curious how you feel,, current price to upgrade is $20.00 CDN per day plus 20%.. it appears many classic drinks are over the $10.00 limit

Also remember if a drink is above the Classic limit you only pay the difference + 20% on the difference. If you only have the odd drink Premium drink might be cheaper just to pay the difference. If one person in the cabin upgrades you all have to do it.

On 7/7/2024 at 4:58 PM, jelayne said:

If your drink can be made from the liquors on the Classic package then it is covered.  

The reason to upgrade, imo, is if you are wine drinker, want the large specialty martinis at the Martini Bar, drink sparkling water, energy drinks or vitamin water.  

Agree.

We tend to have the premium package as it comes with our room but I have mixed drinks so weak it probably doesn’t matter what spirit goes in! Also I rarely have a Martini and never have energy drinks or vitamin water. However, I do like a decent glass of wine. If the premium package didn’t come with the room I would probably stick with the classic then simply either pay the upgrade nightly for a better glass of wine or purchase a couple of bottles. It is great that you can buy a bottle of wine in one restaurant and ask them to send it to where you are dining the next night to finish…

we do not drink  much alcohol so Classic works for us.. Husb drinks a few beers,  basic wine at dinner and a scotch some evenings.  I may have one fru fru drink  and sometimes a Baileys.. small upcharge, if any.

Value for us is the soda  coffees, teas juices etc..and maybe the water if it is  not in the containers we dislike.  Extras can add up with no package but for us getting more than the Classic is not worth it..both.drink packages are very high. 

Wish they would limit the alcohol part to a max number  per day.... that might make them able to lower the prices.  Some folks really overdrink b/ c of the packages...and has changed X demographics..not for the better!

Unless you are cruising shortly, I would wait, for a better sale. The difference between Pkgs for my Sailing is $17.26 CAD

Check on App what the difference is for your Cruise.

I always upgrade, the liquors I like are all in premium....not in favor of any limits either, I don't think a Mimosa in the morning should count the same as a strong bourbon drink in the evening..they aren't close to the same.  

• Like 3

Can you still upgrade mid-cruise?  On our last cruise we started with classic and decided we would wait on whether or not to upgrade.  We had no problem enjoying most drinks with our package and paid a few upcharges for the martini bar.  It was a lot less than upgrading packages. 

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

not in favor of any limits either, I don't think a Mimosa in the morning should count the same as a strong bourbon drink in the evening..they aren't close to the same.

Beyond the drinks being far from equivalent, it can also get annoying to track how many drinks one has left. Our last cruise was on HAL with their elite drink package and I kept having to go to guest services to sort out charges because the crew would put my drinks on the same card as my husband's causing one of us to constantly go over while it looked like the other drank nothing. It's an unnecessary complication that creates just enough frustration each day to warrant a post-cruise comment. I'd rather pay extra to avoid it personally.

• Like 1

Monitor your booked cruise on the Celebrity site thru the manage my cruise.    Look at the section for food and drink where  they show the  liquor packages, upgrade, and etc.   They occasionally offer discounts on the packages and upgrades.  I purchased a discounted upgrade thru a sale that was less than $10/day pp.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

19 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Can you still upgrade mid-cruise?  On our last cruise we started with classic and decided we would wait on whether or not to upgrade.  We had no problem enjoying most drinks with our package and paid a few upcharges for the martini bar.  It was a lot less than upgrading packages. 

Yes you can.  It has to be done about 3 days before the end of the cruise.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We drink mainly wine and we do not like the limited wine by the glass offerings on either package.  So we take whatever is included in our booking, then carry on and purchase bottles as we go.  Every one has a different view of the value of the packages.

The formatting of this is likely to fall completely apart, so I may repost it in a different fashion later.  But I'm going to take a straightforward look at what those who prefer a bit better bar stock and wine by the glass might be paying.  You can do your own math with your own drinking habits to see what you get.  Per day pricing for packages is also highly variable based upon one sale or another online.

Drinks on Classic Package – all up to $10, (-15% on wine/bottle)

Drinks on Premium Package – all up to $17, (-20% on wine/bottle)

Typical 20% off Classic package price = $67.99/day

Typical 20% off Premium package price = $79.99/day

Assume 2x $20 mixed drinks and 3x $25 glasses of wine/day

Mixed               Wine                Package             Total

No package                  $40                 $75                 $0                  $115

Classic package             $20                 $45                 $68                 $133

Premium package             $ 6                 $24                 $89                 $119

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, canderson said:

The formatting of this is likely to fall completely apart, so I may repost it in a different fashion later.  But I'm going to take a straightforward look at what those who prefer a bit better bar stock and wine by the glass might be paying.  You can do your own math with your own drinking habits to see what you get.  Per day pricing for packages is also highly variable based upon one sale or another online.

Drinks on Classic Package – all up to $10, (-15% on wine/bottle)

Drinks on Premium Package – all up to $17, (-20% on wine/bottle)

Typical 20% off Classic package price = $67.99/day

Typical 20% off Premium package price = $79.99/day

Assume 2x $20 mixed drinks and 3x $25 glasses of wine/day

Mixed               Wine                Package             Total

No package                  $40                 $75                 $0                  $115

Classic package             $20                 $45                 $68                 $133

Premium package             $ 6                 $24                 $89                 $119

5 total drinks?  That’s not much, IMHO

For the light drinker on a cruise, I think the choice is obvious..for others, guard your Credit Card without a package. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

5 total drinks?  That’s not much, IMHO

For the light drinker on a cruise, I think the choice is obvious..for others, guard your Credit Card without a package. 

As I said.  "You can do your own math with your own drinking habits".

The objective was to provide a format for people to do that.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2024 at 6:51 AM, miched said:

Monitor your booked cruise on the Celebrity site thru the manage my cruise.    Look at the section for food and drink where  they show the  liquor packages, upgrade, and etc.   They occasionally offer discounts on the packages and upgrades.  I purchased a discounted upgrade thru a sale that was less than $10/day pp.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Around 4th of July I was lucky enough to upgrade our drink package from basic to premium at $8.99/day pp. We probably scored the same deal!

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2024 at 12:43 PM, canderson said:

As I said.  "You can do your own math with your own drinking habits".

The objective was to provide a format for people to do that.

Also one might need to factor in coffee and water and other beverages as well.  Next April I booked a solid deal I think on a 4 night with one sea day.  I did not do AI for the first time and am curious how it’ll work out.  We plan to bring seltzer and wine on board and DS (16) will be with us.  I’m interested to see how it works out.  

Edited by cruisetonowhere10

We are new to Celebrity and just booked a transatlantic on Apex in March 2025. I booked the all inclusive with the Classic, but think we'd be happier to do the upgrade. When looking at my cruise details on the website, I look at the drinks packages and there isn't an "upgrade" option. It just shows the full prices of the packages. Am I missing something? I'm hoping a good sale comes along at some point.

18 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

We are new to Celebrity and just booked a transatlantic on Apex in March 2025. I booked the all inclusive with the Classic, but think we'd be happier to do the upgrade. When looking at my cruise details on the website, I look at the drinks packages and there isn't an "upgrade" option. It just shows the full prices of the packages. Am I missing something? I'm hoping a good sale comes along at some point.

If you just booked give it a couple weeks for the package to register with your booking.  I would hold off upgrading until around Thanksgiving, they usually have a really good sale on upgrades and packages then.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

The website really isn't very smart.  It acts as though it doesn't know which package, if any, you already have, so I doubt there will be a way it could properly process an upgrade.  Heck, it tries to sell me drinks packages and WiFi that already come with my cabin, and show up as $0 pre-purchased inclusions.

I'd contact your TA or your Celebrity rep to do an upgrade.  As you say, the only thing we ever see on the website is the full package price for one or the other. 

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

@dreamer321 Thanks, I'll give it some time. Of course it is all new and exciting, so I want to figure out all the little details!

@canderson Our last three cruises were with MSC, so this web site is actually superior!  We had a premium beverage package with MSC along with other perks, so have been spoiled in that way.

On 7/7/2024 at 10:45 AM, newtocruisingcdn said:

Curious how you feel,, current price to upgrade is $20.00 CDN per day plus 20%.. it appears many classic drinks are over the $10.00 limit

I researched thoughts on drink packages & tracked the costs a couple of times weekly and here are my thoughts & experiences (in USD):

• Price out the 'all inclusive package' for your cruise.  The cheapest price for drink packages on my cruise were when Celebrity ran a 40% off sale.  For my cruise, it was about $17 per day cheaper (this varies by cruise) to purchase the all inclusive package (adds basic wifi) than the drink package alone.  Changing to this requires any booked packages to be canceled so you'll wait up to a week for refund on whatever you purchased with.  They'll charge the other package at time of change - and you can immediately see the purchase reflected in itinerary. 
  • Any mixed or frozen drink can be ordered with classic package alcohols.  
  • If sticking with classic, many recommend to view your bill before departing ship because upcharges mysteriously appear and are very difficult to resolve once departing ship.
  • The upgrade from classic to premium was cheapest during the 40% off sale - about $9 per day (this varies by cruise)
  • Celebrity moves the price of what they consider the 'regular' price of their alcohol packages -so you need to look at price during sales, not discount.  Even though I saw the mark up during many promotions, I did not see this with the 40% off sale which made this the cheapest purchase price.
  • Premium adds premium coffees, fresh juices, additional canned drinks, energy drinks, and additional alcohol (I consider very few of them actually premium). 
  • If you order a premium drink after ordering the classic package, you'll pay for the difference over price limit for the package.  The bartenders are not obligated to ask, so it's upon us to order correctly - and I feel like I might forget a few times.
  • The value of premium upgrade is different for each person, but review the premium alcohol list on Celebrity site to see if you are content with classic list.  Premium coffees and different alcohol brands were worth it for me at the reduced price.  I'd be content with regular coffee and classic alcohols but I plan to try my drinks with different brands of alcohol to see if I find a new favorite. If you ever ordered flights (for taste tests), you'll know the price is worth it but be aware they will have to be ordered one at a time.
  • Like 1

It's always personal taste. I do upgrade from classic to premium. I enjoy the upgraded water choices ,  energy drinks and special liquor choices.

And I agree ...wait until Black Friday (unless you have status) they usually give a few deals...