Parents can't make the cruise due to injury, any ways to reduce / minimize the loss?

What we did when this happened to our second room was we moved one person to the second room (person named in reservation) so one original occupied the room.  We brought on two more family members. Put one of them in room 2 with family member on the reservation and then put the other one in room one.  Once onboard we made the switch. Staff did not care who occupied the room. 

• Like 1

One possibility is to check with the Credit Card that you used for payment of the cruise.   Many like Chase Sapphire Reserve have built in insurance up to a certain limit that might cover some of your loss. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mnocket said:

Yep.  Nosey at best and judgmental at worst. 

They must be a terrible person to offer someone advice.

During Covid Celebrity let us cancel a cruise for a full refund.  As others have said it can’t hurt to ask.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

They must be a terrible person to offer someone advice.

During Covid Celebrity let us cancel a cruise for a full refund.  As others have said it can’t hurt to ask.

In what way was a post asking "What was the reason for not getting insurance? Curious."  offering advice? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

In what way was a post asking "What was the reason for not getting insurance? Curious."  offering advice? 

Actually not true. People often don't understand travel insurance. I do believe some people don't purchase because they believe an existing condition will prevent a successful claim. However, often the cause of the claim has zero to do with the pre existing condition. Also, it sounded like total bs. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

My mistake.  

But asking why does not take away the advice offered and it might actually help someone.

Some people are nosy and some people want to help.  Not everyone reacts the same way when a person tells them to “just move on”. 

8 hours ago, mnocket said:

Yep.  Nosey at best and judgmental at worst. 

Absolutely. I totally judged people who spend thousands of dollars but try to save a few bucks on insurance and then whine when things go wrong. Never paid more than $80 bucks per person for trip coverage. Worth it's weight in gold.  Unapologetic total judgement. Also unapologetic compleat curiosity. We are on page one million of Is celebrity for people 55 plus. People are asking questions about all sorts, very off topic etc. You come for advice, what's wrong with wanting to know the backstory? Nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does the room your parents have allow for 3 or 4 people? If not, then your wife definitely couldn’t move to that room, but I highly doubt you can make any changes at all since it way past final payment. The only change you could make is adding someone to your parents room, but your mom would still have to be on the reservation. Good luck!

37 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Absolutely. I totally judged people who spend thousands of dollars but try to save a few bucks on insurance and then whine when things go wrong. Never paid more than $80 bucks per person for trip coverage. Worth its weight in gold.  Unapologetic total judgement. Also unapologetic compleat curiosity. We are on page one million of Is celebrity for people 55 plus. People are asking questions about all sorts, very off topic etc. You come for advice, what's wrong with wanting to know the backstory? Nothing. 

I think some people are not used to anyone ever questioning what they do.  No one has ever said “maybe that’s a bad idea”.  

1 hour ago, #55worktoplay said:

His wife will

One of them would have to be booked in that room. You can’t check in if your name isn’t on the reservation for that room. 

58 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

One of them would have to be booked in that room. You can’t check in if your name isn’t on the reservation for that room. 

Since he and his wife’s name are both on the reservation you move one to the other room then add two more people. One in each room. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Absolutely. I totally judged people who spend thousands of dollars but try to save a few bucks on insurance and then whine when things go wrong. Never paid more than $80 bucks per person for trip coverage. Worth it's weight in gold.  Unapologetic total judgement. Also unapologetic compleat curiosity. We are on page one million of Is celebrity for people 55 plus. People are asking questions about all sorts, very off topic etc. You come for advice, what's wrong with wanting to know the backstory? Nothing. 

The OP is not whining... he/she is doing the logical next step and looking at options to minimize loss.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

The OP is not whining... he/she is doing the logical next step and looking at options to minimize loss.

No they’re not whining.  Just hoping to avoid any questions or comments about how they could do it better next time.

A few years ago, my DH has a serious medical issue right before a cruise.  Ironically, it was the only time we had not taken insurance because we were both healthy and had no reason to think we wouldn’t make the trip.  We called the cruise line (not X). They said: this is why we sell insurance.  Would do nothing. Thankfully, DH managed to go and it turned out ok, more or less. We learned our lesson (for us).  Ever since have bought insurance and have never needed it.  Has cost us a lot to do that. 

It’s not being judgmental. People have every right not to take out insurance. For many, it’s probably the better choice, depending on health status, cost of cruise bs. Insurance, etc.  

However, since all cruise lines sell insurance, they have very little sympathy when something goes wrong and there’s no insurance. If they were less strict, no one would buy insurance 

There is obviously no downside in pleading your case. Maybe you’ll be fortunate. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

One possibility is to check with the Credit Card that you used for payment of the cruise.   Many like Chase Sapphire Reserve have built in insurance up to a certain limit that might cover some of your loss. 

Thank you Jim. We are looking into that options as well. What I am not 100% sure, is that in my mom's situation, she is not injured, and will she still be covered by credit card's insurance?

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

You or your TA should call X and see what they can do for you!  Escalate if need be.

Thank you. I am also in talk with my TA. Just want to explore any options that I have not thought about before.

Really don't want to be in a situation when they ask "So what do you want to do?", "Uh, I don't know..."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Thank you Jim. We are looking into that options as well. What I am not 100% sure, is that in my mom's situation, she is not injured, and will she still be covered by credit card's insurance?

Yes. I used credit card travel insurance to cover a cruise that we had to cancel because my wife was medically unable to travel. Everything was covered. It was a pain to provide all the documentation they kept asking for, but ultimately I was made whole.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Really don't want to be in a situation when they ask "So what do you want to do?", "Uh, I don't know..."

I understand.  One thing you should do, if you haven't already, is to categorize what you want and what you're willing to accept.  At this point, assume anything is possible.  Do you want a refund for the second cabin?  Are you willing to accept FCC for giving it up?  Can your parents or whomever booked that cabin somehow get replacements.  Can you move one or more occupants of your cabin to the second cabin?  

Good luck and please keep us posted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hcat said:

You or your TA should call X and see what they can do for you!  Escalate if need be.

This is an interesting post. Escalate? To whom? I see escalation as appropriate only when you are being denied something to which you are entitled. 

OP isn’t “entitled” to anything (which, to his credit, he isn’t claiming to be), so on what grounds could he “escalate?”

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

This is an interesting post. Escalate? To whom? I see escalation as appropriate only when you are being denied something to which you are entitled. 

OP isn’t “entitled” to anything (which, to his credit, he isn’t claiming to be), so on what grounds could he “escalate?”

Do you always take “no” for an answer?  Did you ever get a C grade in school and ask your teacher what you could do to turn it into a B?  After all, you’re not entitled to a better grade.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1