Embarking With Mini-bottles of Jack Daniels

I've been reading about the lack of tipping culture in Japan. We're booked on the Millie in 1 month for a Japan itinerary. I read that the Japanese are appreciative of small gifts from your hometown. Half of our traveling group is from Nashville. Would mini-bottles of Jack be appropriate and would we be able to embark the ship with them? This would be for tour guides...opinions?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I believe the official policy is one bottle of wine per person can be carried on embarkation day, along with all the soda and water one can carry. Based on this, airplane bottles of JD will likely be confiscated. 

I work in an antique shop in my little town and recently helped a customer from Asia (not sure it was Japan) and she bought a bunch of small, boutique style scented soaps to give as gifts.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Just to clarify...I'm talking about 50ml bottles like are served on airplanes...

Your luggage will go through the same sort of procedure that you'd encounter in an airport.  I'd think about alternative gifts.

• Like 3

Just now, canderson said:

Your luggage will go through the same sort of procedure that you'd encounter in an airport.  I'd think about alternative gifts.

Yes, but as far as I know there is no problem with packing these in checked luggage for flight.

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yes, but as far as I know there is no problem with packing these in checked luggage for flight.

You are allowed to bring three bottles of alcohol up to 760 ml each into Japan.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm addressing their ready discoverability, not the rules about possessing them, which are indeed different.  A couple could easily be mistaken for bottles of hand cream,.  A collection of them would likely encourage further scrutiny.  If found, you would be picking them up on the 'naughty table' at the end of the cruise. 

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've been reading about the lack of tipping culture in Japan. We're booked on the Millie in 1 month for a Japan itinerary. I read that the Japanese are appreciative of small gifts from your hometown. Half of our traveling group is from Nashville. Would mini-bottles of Jack be appropriate and would we be able to embark the ship with them? This would be for tour guides...opinions?

The cruise ship allows wine not liquor.  The little bottles might get through the screening but they might not and if the cause a problem there will be a delay getting your luggage on embarkation day.

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'm addressing their ready discoverability, not the rules about possessing them, which are indeed different.  A couple could easily be mistaken for bottles of hand cream,.  A collection of them would likely encourage further scrutiny.  If found, you would be picking them up on the 'naughty table' at the end of the cruise. 

Actually probably not.  Confiscated liquor is usually disposed of, not returned to you, which is different from other confiscated items like kettles and irons which you would get back.

20 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Correct but cruise ships have a policy against brining alcohol in any quantity,  other than wine onboard.  Chances are you may get away it with, chances are you may get called to the "naughty room" where they with dispose of it or they will seize it and give it back when you depart the ship.  

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

I was flagged once for a bottle of mouthwash I had in my locked checked luggage. 

4 minutes ago, toledo_cruiser said:

I was flagged once for a bottle of mouthwash I had in my locked checked luggage. 

You'd be amazed - or perhaps not! - at the number and variety of container types that have been used in an attempt to smuggle booze aboard, many of them FAR more creative than a mouthwash bottle!  The folks at security have seen them all.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

What if the tour guide/operator is a recovering alcoholic?  You asked for opions, mine is a hard no.

• Like 6

Although not expected, we found our tips were graciously accepted when we were in Japan. 

Can’t Comment on the appropriateness of the liquor, but you will probably not be allowed to embark the ship with them

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I wouldn‘ call it lack of tipping culture, it is just a different culture.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

How about this? Buy the shot bottles of Jack, drink them yourselves (at home before you leave for the cruise) and then put a decent denomination of Japanese Yen in the bottle. That way you can give a keepsake from your home (the bottle) and a tip as well. 🙂

Edited by Ommadawn
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

not allowed to take on the ship, wine only as per rules on your cruise contract

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I believe the official policy is one bottle of wine per person can be carried on embarkation day, along with all the soda and water one can carry. Based on this, airplane bottles of JD will likely be confiscated. 

I work in an antique shop in my little town and recently helped a customer from Asia (not sure it was Japan) and she bought a bunch of small, boutique style scented soaps to give as gifts.

Most people I know don't want scented products

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As  discussed already nice idea but def " NO"  for mini  btls of alcoholic bevs.   Enjoy your cruise..

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Why not Goo-Goo Clusters? Those are more "Nashville" than Jack Daniels.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liao said:

What if the tour guide/operator is a recovering alcoholic?  You asked for opions, mine is a hard no.

What if the tour guide/operator is a recovering gambler? A cash tip should be a hard NO as well.

What if the tour guide/operator is a diabetic? Chocolates/sweets ...

What if the tour guide/operator is ______________ ?