Number of children

Hello I need some help. We usually sail on Celebrity.  My husband wanted to try Royal, he book us on Odyssey for the week of December 8. I realize it is 2 weeks before  Christmas will there be alot of children on board? I am hoping there is not.

Is there any place on this ship to find quite time?

Can you use your laptop to cast or stream onto your TV in your cabin to watch Netflix or any other streaming site?

Do you have to reserve seats for shows? 

Taking Amtrak to Newark airport from northern Virginia. Has anyone taking Amtrak to the Newark airport? How do you get from train station at airport to port? 

Thank you in advance for taking time to help me out.

The first week of December is usually slow.  People who have school-aged children will sail over Thanksgiving or Christmas -- and this is an in-between week.  It tends to be a (relatively) inexpensive week too.  

You can find plenty quiet spots.  

We never use Netflix onboard. 

I don't reserve shows, but my husband doesn't usually want to go -- and seating one person is easy.

Why not stay on the train and go all the way to the port?  Upon arrival, Uber is probably your best bet.  

Kids are still in school, should be a little kid free.  Only one show needs reservations and both times we sailed Quantum class no one checked upon entering.  Music hall is very quiet and empty if no shows are going on. Vintages is very empty almost all day. 

21 minutes ago, oakgrove girl said:

Taking Amtrak to Newark airport from northern Virginia. Has anyone taking Amtrak to the Newark airport? How do you get from train station at airport to port? 

The solarium is nice.

The only show that can be booked is The Book in Two270.

It's better to take the train to Newark Penn Station, then Uber/Lyft to the port.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, oakgrove girl said:

Hello I need some help. We usually sail on Celebrity.  My husband wanted to try Royal, he book us on Odyssey for the week of December 8. I realize it is 2 weeks before  Christmas will there be alot of children on board? I am hoping there is not.

Can you use your laptop to cast or stream onto your TV in your cabin to watch Netflix or any other streaming site?

There definitely will be a decent amount of kids.  We sail from Bayonne a lot and most sailings have lots of kids these days.  Add the kids sail free endless promotion and Odyssey being new to Bayonne, expect lots of kids.

28 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Kids are still in school, should be a little kid free.  Only one show needs reservations and both times we sailed Quantum class no one checked upon entering.  Music hall is very quiet and empty if no shows are going on. Vintages is very empty almost all day. 

I’m cruising a TP in October 15 days.   And there’s tons of kids going.  I’m shocked at how many are going.   

I did a Panama Canal and only had 34 kids in January.    
but now there were more walkers scooters and wheelchairs.   

1 hour ago, oakgrove girl said:

There will likely be a lot of kids on the ship. Over the last ten years (with the exception of 2020 due to COVID) I have always cruised 1-2 times in early December because I love when the ships are decorated for Christmas and cruise fares are usually at their lowest. There have always been a lot of kids on these cruises no matter what ship class we were on. 

On Royal just figure there will be a lot of kids on every cruise with the exception of the older smaller ships. We have no problem pulling our 2 daughters (now 6.5 and 5) ) out of school for a week here and there for a sun getaway whether it be cruise or AI and we're not alone in our thinking.

Have fun!!

I have taken Amtrak to both the Newark Airport and the Newark Penn Station.  The first was for an international flight before a cruise.  There was an attendant as we exited the train "station." She asked to see our airline ticket. I have read this station is only for airport connections. YMMV

We have gone to the Penn station twice before cruises.  We stayed overnight at the Doubletree adjacent to the station.  On one of these trips our train was over 2 hours late.  A large family group at our embarkation point was frantic because they were going to miss a flight.  I would not trust getting to the ship on time with a same day train trip. . . . but that is just me. 😁

: . 

Odyssey has Chromecast, but we bring a firestick.

There's a number of threads on here, but here's one that is specific to Odyssey:

Posted (edited)

You may want to consider driving to port.   Should be approx 4 hr drive from northern Virginia

If train is a must you may want to arrive day before just to make sure no delays with train due to weather, etc.

Edited by Sunshine3601

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There are always lots of kids on board.  But that doesn't mean you're going to be overwhelmed with swarms of kids.

Yes, there will be a lot. School seems to be optional for many kids since Covid.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Yes, there will be a lot. School seems to be optional for many kids since Covid.

I agree.  We had a lot of kids on our TA and we had never experienced that before.

It’s much easier to grab an Uber from Penn than EWR. I think there will be fewer kids only because kids get off from school for thanksgiving, plus a week or two for Christmas. Usually travel is cheaper the weeks in between the holidays for this reason.