PORTABLE HUMIDIFERS

Every passenger cabin already has a portable humidifier.

It is called a shower.

Turn the temperature to the highest, and let it run for an hour.

To speed up the process, cover the air return duct in the bathroom.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Donald said:

It is called a shower.

Oh boy, let's waste some water.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Donald said:

It is called a shower.

Grossly irresponsible.

Waste water, fuel, electricity, and probably upset the a/c for nearby cabins.

For a probably at best temporary increase in humidity. And damp clothes and bedding, ugh.

Edited by jollyjones

I generally find cabins to be too humid.  When you pick up the daily papers/programs and they drape over your hand, it’s too humid.  Take along a small thermometer with humidity reading to see just how humid it is.  EM

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

Hi - has anyone traveled with a portable humidifier for an ocean view cabin to keep the air from being so dry?  

If it is one that heats the water to evaporate it, it is not allowed.  If it is an ultrasonic mister, then it would be okay.

9 hours ago, zqvol said:

Dry air on a cruise ship? 

The AC system is designed to produce air well below the dew point.  This is one of the causes of the much mentioned "cruise crud" or "cruise cough".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I generally find cabins to be too humid.  When you pick up the daily papers/programs and they drape over your hand, it’s too humid.  Take along a small thermometer with humidity reading to see just how humid it is.  EM

I cheked the cabin humidity throughout a 14 night cruise. It stayed in the low 40% which is fine for me.

8 hours ago, clo said:

Oh boy, let's waste some water.

Are you talking about the sea water that the ship de-salinated, ran through your shower, then processed back to drinking water quality before dumping it back into the ocean?

1 hour ago, Donald said:

Are you talking about the sea water that the ship de-salinated, ran through your shower, then processed back to drinking water quality before dumping it back into the ocean?

You are aware that while the ships do make FW from the Evaps & RO's, it isn't unlimited, as would be required if every pax ran the shower for an hour. The waste water treatment plant also couldn't handle that volume.

• Like 1

My mother was an environmentalist long before the term was coined.  I live in Northern CA.  The thought of wasting water for an hour literally makes me gasp.  This is like running water while brushing your teeth ... absolutely nuts.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

You are aware that while the ships do make FW from the Evaps & RO's, it isn't unlimited, as would be required if every pax ran the shower for an hour. The waste water treatment plant also couldn't handle that volume.

Remember back in the day🙂 showers only and minimal water use. We frequently had trouble making enough for a crew of 40 😁

53 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

My mother was an environmentalist long before the term was coined.  I live in Northern CA.  The thought of wasting water for an hour literally makes me gasp.  This is like running water while brushing your teeth ... absolutely nuts.  

Oh yeah. Lived in SF for quite a while. I remember collecting the water in a bucket while the shower water was heating up. Using it for things like flushing the toilet. And the sign in the bathroom that said "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." No joke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donald said:

Yes, that water, that takes a lot of energy to produce, and treat again after your wasting it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I have great news for you.

Every pax is NOT going to run the shower for one hour.

Non-problem solved.

Edited by Donald
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, that water, that takes a lot of energy to produce, and treat again after your wasting it.

So we are comparing one or two mis-guided pax running their shower for one hour - to the many water taps onboard that leak many thousands of liters of fresh water 24/7 because the engineers are too busy to fix them.

38 minutes ago, Donald said:

- to the many water taps onboard that leak many thousands of liters of fresh water 24/7 because the engineers are too busy to fix them.

Never had one of those in any of my staterooms in 50+ cruises.  Guess I've just been lucky.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Donald said:

So we are comparing one or two mis-guided pax running their shower for one hour - to the many water taps onboard that leak many thousands of liters of fresh water 24/7 because the engineers are too busy to fix them.

Never seen that in 46 years at sea, 4 on cruise ships.  Stewards are only too ready to report this, and the engineers that I've had consider this to be just as critical as stopped up toilets.

Must be difficult working for a cruise line that doesn't supply sufficient engine staff to deal with all repairs.  As I've said, never seen or heard of this.  We had enough staff to repair these leaks, and we were paying US wages, so the company had a large incentive to cut staff.

Just as a note, a dripping faucet typically leaks about 30 gallons/month.  A shower uses 150 gallons/hour.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Donald said:

Non-problem solved.

Having lived with drought for 50 years, every single person makes a difference.  You've probably never lived with mandatory water rationing. I have. IIRC it was 50/gal/day for the two of us. Inside and outside. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Remember back in the day🙂 showers only and minimal water use. We frequently had trouble making enough for a crew of 40 😁

Hard to forget those days, especially my first ship, as we had over 50 cadets and a compliment of just over 100, on a regular NZS freezer ship. No true seaman wastes water, a trait I am still stuck with.

It was a huge culture shock joining my 2nd ship, which was a pax vessel.

3 hours ago, Donald said:

Non-problem solved.

I concur, every pax is not running the shower for an hour, I would also hope all of them are smart enough to know that water is a limited resource, especially on a ship and running the shower to provide humidity is a poor suggestion.

Wasting water has another potential consequence, especially when coupled with low bunkers. Loss of those weights can reduce the GM to the point where pools must be dumped. Not common on short 7 - 14 days, but still happens on longer cruises such as World Cruises, TA/TP's.