Just when I thought there was nothing else to cut

Just returned from a 21 day Transatlantic cruise on Zuiderdam.  Having sailed with HAL for over 30 years and witnessed so many cutbacks over that period, I thought there was nothing left to cut. Boy, was I wrong!  On this cruise, there were no guest lecturers.  Instead, the cruise director and some staff provided a few short lectures of dubious interest to pass the hours on sea days.  Gone is the ship's band.  Instead, musicians and production shows employed canned music which sounded like glorified karaoke.  On a lesser note but still obvious, after dinner mints and nightly chocolates were only served on so called "dressy" nights.  Also gone were lobsters which required a significant up-charge if one desired. Staff reductions were plainly obvious particularly in the main dining room where servers had to double as wine stewards. The cost of gratuities, alcoholic beverages and specialty restaurants have risen substantially in the past 2 years. The cost of the Pinnacle Grill now rivals upscale shoreside restaurants while the quality has diminished.  I am now waiting for HAL to require guests to bring their own bed linens and towels.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Disappointing but hope you were still able to enjoy your cruise.

If they'd have more cooking classes, they cook subsidize kitchen crew with passengers 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

17 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Just returned from a 21 day Transatlantic cruise on Zuiderdam.  Having sailed with HAL for over 30 years and witnessed so many cutbacks over that period, I thought there was nothing left to cut. Boy, was I wrong!  On this cruise, there were no guest lecturers.  Instead, the cruise director and some staff provided a few short lectures of dubious interest to pass the hours on sea days.  Gone is the ship's band.  Instead, musicians and production shows employed canned music which sounded like glorified karaoke.  On a lesser note but still obvious, after dinner mints and nightly chocolates were only served on so called "dressy" nights.  Also gone were lobsters which required a significant up-charge if one desired. Staff reductions were plainly obvious particularly in the main dining room where servers had to double as wine stewards. The cost of gratuities, alcoholic beverages and specialty restaurants have risen substantially in the past 2 years. The cost of the Pinnacle Grill now rivals upscale shoreside restaurants while the quality has diminished.  I am now waiting for HAL to require guests to bring their own bed linens and towels.

Almost every one of those things has been widely documented here since the resumption of cruising post Covid.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

If they'd have more cooking classes, they could subsidize kitchen crew with passengers 🫣

Shh! Don't give them ideas!!!

@doublebzz, I am so sorry to hear that so much was missing. Yes, the loss of speakers and decrease in entertainment has been discussed here, but I keep hearing that "it's better for longer voyages." I would have thought "longer voyages" would include a three week cruise, especially considering all the sea days of the crossing. That is disappointing. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Sorry you had such a disappointing experience. We have also been underwhelmed with our most recent HAL cruises. We still cruise on them sometimes as we like the classic ships. It seems like most of the mainstream cruise lines are in a race to the bottom.

I find it particularly odd that with so many people now having the drink packages, they no longer have wine stewards or bar waiters in the MDR, when they need them more than ever. On our last cruise I felt so bad for the waiters having to run around getting drinks. 
I agree that a lot of what you say has been documented here before, but your disappointment as longtime HAL cruisers is still valid.

• Like 10

On the plus side, Zuiderdam is incredibly maintained for a 20+ year old ship. Also, despite the heavier work load, the staff is still as warm and friendly as ever. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Right now, at the Capital Grille in Fort Lauderdale, shrimp cocktail is $20. Lobster bisque is $16 for a cup and $22 for a bowl. A filet in the same size served at the PG is $57. Sides range from $13 - $16 each. Desserts are $14-$17.

Thar puts me at about $140 - $150 pp for dinner (2 sides). Cocktails and wine are higher as well. Service expected to be 20%.

Reference URL:

https://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menu/dinner/

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

If they'd have more cooking classes, they cook subsidize kitchen crew with passengers 🫣

Please do not give them any more ideas like this (as I can see someone on the staff turning this in as a great idea)! 🙂 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Almost every one of those things has been widely documented here since the resumption of cruising post Covid.

But if the OP said what they were complaining about clearly in the title instead of a vague, alarming title, they wouldn't get as much attention.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I agree with the poster, but the Legendary Voyage, which the current Voyage of the Vikings is superb. 

Live music in the Ocean Bar every afternoon. 

classic trio in the Explorer Lounge. 

Rolling Stone Live Band with volcalists.

Three enrichment speakers. 

Live production shows with singers and dancers.

Unfortunately we have to pay more for a Legendary Voyage to get what we had previously on every longer cruise, but at least Holland America Line does still know how to please its guests.

20240725_093506.thumb.jpg.ebacfbe37a67e4d38679a9cc13f719ee.jpgPrinted news at the MDR.20240725_092528.thumb.jpg.5a7e8adc612300eaa125599dafcc4680.jpg

20240725_092518.jpg

20240725_092500.jpg

20240725_092446.jpg

20240725_092436.jpg

20240725_092423.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I agree with the poster, but the Legendary Voyage, which the current Voyage of the Vikings is superb. 

Live music in the Ocean Bar every afternoon. 

classic trio in the Explorer Lounge. 

Rolling Stone Live Band with volcalists.

Three enrichment speakers. 

Live production shows with singers and dancers.

Unfortunately we have to pay more for a Legendary Voyage to get what we had previously on every longer cruise, but at least Holland America Line does still know how to please its guests.

20240725_093506.thumb.jpg.ebacfbe37a67e4d38679a9cc13f719ee.jpgPrinted news at the MDR.20240725_092528.thumb.jpg.5a7e8adc612300eaa125599dafcc4680.jpg

20240725_092518.jpg

20240725_092500.jpg

20240725_092446.jpg

20240725_092436.jpg

20240725_092423.jpg

So how many days does a cruise need to be before HAL decides to "please its guests?" Two weeks is not enough--I know that from this past winter on Zaandam. Three weeks is not enough, as OP has told us.

How about how many sea days in a row before HAL does something? Because a crossing, even a "cruise crossing" doesn't have a port every day. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So how many days does a cruise need to be before HAL decides to "please its guests?" Two weeks is not enough--I know that from this past winter on Zaandam. Three weeks is not enough, as OP has told us.

How about how many sea days in a row before HAL does something? Because a crossing, even a "cruise crossing" doesn't have a port every day. 

Pretty clear. Those identified as Grand Voyages and World Cruises get the additions.

Otherwise one gets the base offering offering competitive with the other NA adult mass market lines Celebrity and Princess. Though each has their preference as to line.

We tend to Princess for TA (with an occasional Celebrity). HAL we do more unique itineraries not available on the other 2.

There is a reason we do not do TAs on HAL. Pretty much the same reason we do not do TAs on Oceania.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The new categories as described by Henk, our Hotel General Manager:, the regular/traditional cruises.

Legendary Voyages which are 28 to 60 days.

Grand Voyages which are the longest itineraries.

I personally think a 14 day with 4 or more sea days should have live music 🎶 for happy hours and classic Duo or Trio.

20240723_183618.jpg

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

But if the OP said what they were complaining about clearly in the title instead of a vague, alarming title, they wouldn't get as much attention.

I thought the title was clear that it would be a list of complaints... 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

Right now, at the Capital Grille in Fort Lauderdale, shrimp cocktail is $20. Lobster bisque is $16 for a cup and $22 for a bowl. A filet in the same size served at the PG is $57. Sides range from $13 - $16 each. Desserts are $14-$17.

Thar puts me at about $140 - $150 pp for dinner (2 sides). Cocktails and wine are higher as well. Service expected to be 20%.

Reference URL:

Dining ashore in a nice restaurant has become VERY expensive.  We find South Florida to be high cost and often poor service.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The new categories as described by Henk, our Hotel General Manager:, the regular/traditional cruises.

This ^^^

Thank you for clarifying. I knew Legendary got the extra bonuses, but never saw 28 days listed as a minimum cut off.

Bummer as I'll be on a 22 night cruise in January. Would have liked to have HAL ramp it up a bit. I will be immediately following that 22 night with a Legendary in February so I'll be able to make a comparison as to what little extras Legendary cruises come with. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I personally think a 14 day with 4 or more sea days should have live music 🎶 for happy hours and classic Duo or Trio.

20240723_183618.jpg

They break out grand voyages on their web site some as short 25 days.

Found 23 different Legendary cruise options based upon the flag at the top of each entry. The shortest was 27 days. No easy way to sort for them

A lot of long cruises that were neither grand or legendary. So length by itself may not be a determination factor.

The really need to add a legendary sort option like they do with the grand voyages.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The really need to add a legendary sort option like they do with the grand voyages.

I was able to search for legendary cruises in incognito mode:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/find-a-cruise?dealId=LEGENVOY&csvFileName=multi_LEGENVOY_1.csv

Shoot, doesn't look like incognito mode will let me link. But try going to this page in incognito mode. It pulls up all the legendary voyages. Click "view cruises" and a list of 24 cruises comes up. I believe the list is inclusive thru March 2026.

image.thumb.png.1df03e50a53d7888864cb3ccfe92b995.png

Hope that helps you 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, POA1 said:

Reference URL:

Totally agree BUT the Capital Grill does not have a $5,000 to $10,000 a week cover charge for two nor does it advertise the best fine dining at sea 🙂  We should compare apples to apples ...

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Totally agree BUT the Capital Grill does not have a $5,000 to $10,000 a week cover charge for two nor does it advertise the best fine dining at sea 🙂  We should compare apples to apples ...

The Capital Grill doesn't include transportation and lodging in their pricing 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Absolutely true. But, to me at least, OP's inventory made an impact.

I started thinking: what are the new things that have been added that I appreciate? (1) limiting smoking to the starboard side of the Sea View pool. (2) the Music Walk. (3) Club Orange (albeit at a significant upcharge). (4) the HIA and HIA+ options. (5) amazing son et lumiere effects in the World Stage. (5) Lincoln Center Stage and Step One Dance Company (oops! strike both). Obviously I'm clutching at straws here.

• Like 1