The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 29th, 2024

Today is Global Tiger Day, International Butler Day, and International Chicken Wing Day

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - H. L. Mencken

Meal Suggestion for today - Clean-Out-the-Fridge Vegetable Soup
Drink of the Day - Pineapple Express
Wine of the Day - Dry Sack Sherry
Destination of the Day - Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Today in History:
1928 Test footage first created for Walt Disney's "Steamboat Willie" with Mickey Mouse

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska eta 07-30

Nieuw Statendam

Djupivogur, Iceland 1000-1800

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1500-1800

Oosterdam

Portofino, Italy Riviera 08:00 - 21:00

Rotterdam

Nordfjordeid, Norway 11:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-30

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Zuiderdam

Prinos, Greenland

0729World.thumb.png.b5d345659daa86882662decc2002aa0f.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 23

Good Morning from a cool but suuny day on the Zuiderdam

We are cruising Prince Christian  Sound today which is stunning. I will attempt to attach a few pictures..

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Pineapple Express cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Pineapple Rum
3/4 oz. Rhum Clement Blanc
3/4 oz. Lime Juice (freshly squeezed)
1/2 oz. Sugar syrup ‘rich’ (2 sugar to 1 water, 65.0’Brix)

Directions:

Shake all ingredients with ice and fine strain into a chilled glass.

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 6.31.08 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 17

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Once again it’s 71 and mostly cloudy though DH saw the moon when he took the trash out to the curb.  Today’s high will be 85 with showers and thunderstorms expected.  The mailbox goes out to the post sometime between all the morning raindrops and before the carrier arrives.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  It looks like Nieuw Statendam is near Seydisfjordur instead of Djupivogur, and Zuiderdam seems to be enjoying scenic cruising in Greenland before heading to Iceland for their Wednesday stop in Isafjordur.  This ice is wreaking havoc on itineraries this year.  We have a diverse group of days to recognize, and a quote that’s probably true. 🙄 The soup sounds nutritious, no thanks to the drink and wine.  Almost a hundred years since Mickey Mouse was first seen.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie  @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.

Prayers for my DB, twin sister, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still being held, and our military members in harm's way in the region.  Many prayers for our Care list here in need of them, those in pain, healing, undergoing treatments, grieving and suffering mental and emotional distress.  Hoping for improvement for all!  Sending comforting thoughts to Pauline @Paw13 today as she remembers her Dad on this 16th memory in Heaven.  Cheers to all enjoying cruises and celebrating special events.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists each day!

The port of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia is a new one.  No links today, and since I haven’t stopped at that particular port no photos from me.  A day off!  If you’ve been lucky enough to visit Newcastle in Australia please do share your experience with us.

I'm going next door to visit neighbor Brenda later this morning.  She hints she has lots of news to tell me.  I wonder if they've finally sold their house?  They placed a high price tag on it and won't budge so it just sits there with no interest.  Selling it after all these many months would be a huge development.  Taking my peach tea with me and she can have her coffee.  

Have a super Monday and try to stay safe and keep well. 

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days..    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Not sure quite what to think of the Mencken quote..

I have not been to that Newcastle.

Quite a day in cartoon history..

I’ll pass on the meal..  My alternative is Mixed Seasonal Greens, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream, as served on MS Westerdam July 29 2018..

dishes0729.jpg
Not sure what’s on the agenda today but it has been over 24 hours since my last Naproxen and I’m sleeping comfortably
Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.  Seems that our summer weather keeps repeating with clouds and rain most days, and highs only near 90, not near 100. I’ll take it!

I will love the recipe for today and will probably use it with some of the fresh veggies we have in abundance right now.  The drink sounds good.

Celebrating the Walt Disney achievement! We just visited an exhibit on animation at our local art museum. It is fascinating to be reminded that this work started with artists who sat at drawing tables to create such detailed sketches….and now that is all computerized.  When Disney World first opened we took a behind the scenes tour of the animation studio and could see them working behind a glass wall. 

Prayers for all and especially my friend Leesa, facing surgery for breast cancer next week.  And prayers of thanks for all the blessings  those on the Daily have received. May they continue in abundance!

Off to a pickleball lesson today with my 17 yr old grandson before he starts back to school. That should be fun and funny. 

100 days until we board the Oosterdam in Athens.

Debbie

• Like 29

The penultimate sunrise from my 2010 Blount Atlantic cruise.  This was taken July 29 near the confluence of the Saguenay and St. Lawrence Rivers.

IMG_2451.thumb.JPG.d16aa3d4fa221d11a81cd49a6a7d3b93.JPG

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It looks like Nieuw Statendam is near Seydisfjordur instead of Djupivogur, and Zuiderdam seems to be enjoying scenic cruising in Greenland before heading to Iceland for their Wednesday stop in Isafjordur.

Since I don't have your intimate knowledge of the world's cruise ports, I have to go by what is reported on Marine Traffic. MT reports Zuiderdam to be in Prinos, Greenland so that is what I went by. I did notice afterwards the report of scenic cruising. For Nieuw Statendam, MT reports arrival at Seydisfjordur, Iceland. For this I took the position that Djupivogur might be an alternate name for the area, which does quite often happen. I chose to leave the listing as originally provided.

0729Zuid.png.f111e11b7051d2378b7dce3489d0854e.png

0729NSDM.png.31d832b3d8f6b062194be5874e605c7d.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 72°F here.

3 interesting days.

Butler's were popular on UK TV series 

Downton abbey.

Upstairs Downstairs.

We have had Butlers several times when we have had Suites on cruise ships.

Having been to WDW many times since 1992 today is an important day in history for Disney.

We will be going to the Remembrance room later at our city crematorium to leave a message and read Pauline's dad's name on today's page of the remembrance book.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 25

I just looked up Newcastle on cruisetimetables and it is not a frequently visited port.  The only BHB on the schedule is Westerdam on November 18.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Monday!  I hope it's the start of a good week.

Foggy here this morning.  It's supposed to be a sunny 30C (86F) this afternoon.

Tigers are magnificent, I don't have, or want, a butler, I love chicken wings.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good for a cool fall day.  I'd like to try the cocktail.  A big YES to the wine.

I've never been to Australia, maybe someday.

Prayers for so many.

@grapau27  Please give Pauline a hug from me as she remembers her dear father.

I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Happy Today and thank you for the Reports and Dailys!!!

I'd rather not have Global Tigers -- but I will honor them, staying in their places, today!!!  They are beautiful animals!!  As for Butlers...  Yes, since I was young and watched Mr. French -- I always wanted a Mr. French at my house!!!  His friendship, his cooking, his tidying, and all of him...   

And, at the Center, we're celebrating International Chicken Wing Day!!  Lots of wings in different flavors...  (I guess)

As for the soup...  Mommie used to call that "Sweepings".  Whatever was in the refrigerator went into a pot... with water or broth or milk, and became dinner!

The Drink and the Wine would be appreciated!  I LOVE Dry Sack Sherry!  Mommie and Daddy had that after dinner and I might get a taste...

I've never been to Australia!!

Have a wonderful day!!  Enjoy and share your smile with someone!!!

• Like 27

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Once again it’s 71 and mostly cloudy though DH saw the moon when he took the trash out to the curb.  Today’s high will be 85 with showers and thunderstorms expected.  The mailbox goes out to the post sometime between all the morning raindrops and before the carrier arrives.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  It looks like Nieuw Statendam is near Seydisfjordur instead of Djupivogur, and Zuiderdam seems to be enjoying scenic cruising in Greenland before heading to Iceland for their Wednesday stop in Isafjordur.  This ice is wreaking havoc on itineraries this year.  We have a diverse group of days to recognize, and a quote that’s probably true. 🙄 The soup sounds nutritious, no thanks to the drink and wine.  Almost a hundred years since Mickey Mouse was first seen.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie  @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.

Prayers for my DB, twin sister, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still being held, and our military members in harm's way in the region.  Many prayers for our Care list here in need of them, those in pain, healing, undergoing treatments, grieving and suffering mental and emotional distress.  Hoping for improvement for all!  Sending comforting thoughts to Pauline @Paw13 today as she remembers her Dad on this 16th memory in Heaven.  Cheers to all enjoying cruises and celebrating special events.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists each day!

The port of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia is a new one.  No links today, and since I haven’t stopped at that particular port no photos from me.  A day off!  If you’ve been lucky enough to visit Newcastle in Australia please do share your experience with us.

I'm going next door to visit neighbor Brenda later this morning.  She hints she has lots of news to tell me.  I wonder if they've finally sold their house?  They placed a high price tag on it and won't budge so it just sits there with no interest.  Selling it after all these many months would be a huge development.  Taking my peach tea with me and she can have her coffee.  

Have a super Monday and try to stay safe and keep well. 

Thank you from Pauline and me Sandi.

She is getting out of work early so we can go to the remembrance room at the city crematorium to pay our respects.

He was such a lovely man and we miss him.

• Like 22

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Since I don't have your intimate knowledge of the world's cruise ports, I have to go by what is reported on Marine Traffic. MT reports Zuiderdam to be in Prinos, Greenland so that is what I went by. I did notice afterwards the report of scenic cruising. For Nieuw Statendam, MT reports arrival at Seydisfjordur, Iceland. For this I took the position that Djupivogur might be an alternate name for the area, which does quite often happen. I chose to leave the listing as originally provided.

I don't use Marine Traffic often but it seems to have lots of information on there.  I look at Cruisemapper a lot, but once in a while they are a bit behind.  I think someone typed in the wrong destination code on Zuiderdam, honestly.  They are, according to Charlene @cunnorl and the location maps, in Prince Christian Sound scenic cruising.  Doing a search for Prinos, Greenland only brings up Prinos, Greece.  Thus my assumption someone made a boo-boo!  Keeps life interesting here on the Daily, doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 72°F here.

3 interesting days.

Butler's were popular on UK TV series 

Downton abbey.

Upstairs Downstairs.

We have had Butlers several times when we have had Suites on cruise ships.

Having been to WDW many times since 1992 today is an important day in history for Disney.

We will be going to the Remembrance room later at our city crematorium to leave a message and read Pauline's dad's name on today's page of the remembrance book.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham, your weather sounds delightful!  Wish I was there today.  It's wonderful how you and Pauline honor your dearly departed loved ones.  😇

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is a lovely morning after an evening of showers and drizzle. All evidence of Saturday night’s festivities has been removed. 😎 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying you find a solution to the vertigo. Soon. 

This morning I am off to Orlando to pickup Brayden at the airport. He is returning from 10 days in New England, visiting friends and attending a robotics camp sponsored by Battlebots. I can’t wait to see him & hear his stories! Then just a normal Monday of Bindi walks, chores and pool time. 

IMG_3199.jpeg.568707b9c334f2d21fbcfd9f5627c036.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg.b09fa15a51b834842f98a4de5f8594e0.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg.2fa2a7e5581d032c67bf03cbc5543914.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day and that you can enjoy eating. 
Chuck, praying that you have a good day without pain. 

Prayers for all our caregivers. Bless you for giving so much of yourselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Dry Sack Sherry

This Spanish sherry has lots of consumer fans. I am not a sherry girl, but this one sounds lovely. I might take a sip. Easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $15.49.

Distributor’s notes

Williams & Humbert’s Dry Sack 15-year Oloroso is the first sherry we’ve formally reviewed here, and it’s a doozy. This is actually a blend of two sherries, a dry oloroso (78%) and Pedro Jimenez (22%), each blended separately with the solera style (in which wines are aged in a series of casks, with a portion of wine from each cask is progressively moved into the next-oldest cask every year until a tiny bit is finally drawn off the oldest cask and bottled, in this case after a total of 15 years through the process). The result is a cryptic wine, dark oak in color and 20.5 percent alcohol. The nose is filled with raisins, but a nutty character becomes quite palpable as the raisin-like sweetness fades. The finish is spicy, with allspice and mulled wine.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I don't use Marine Traffic often but it seems to have lots of information on there.  I look at Cruisemapper a lot, but once in a while they are a bit behind.  I think someone typed in the wrong destination code on Zuiderdam, honestly.  They are, according to Charlene @cunnorl and the location maps, in Prince Christian Sound scenic cruising.  Doing a search for Prinos, Greenland only brings up Prinos, Greece.  Thus my assumption someone made a boo-boo!  Keeps life interesting here on the Daily, doesn't it?

I use cruisetimetables for the basic, advanced information and MT each morning. If you look at CTT's Zuiderdam listing you will see this -

Last Recorded Location (AIS) @ marinetraffic.com   Where is ms Zuiderdam now?  

so they refer you to MT for current location. That link brings you to this:

0729Zuid2.thumb.png.498e721438f0a3426270a7830984efca.png

which shows that Zuiderdam's port for today is, in fact Prinos where they should be arriving shortly

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Paw13’s (Pauline’s) late Dad Roy’s 16th memory

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Lady Hudson’s friend post stroke, back in hospital with breathing issues, UTI

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s identical twins born 7/23!

Rafinmd’s improved PSA level

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore Aug 4 to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 15
  • Thanks 18

Good morning everyone and happy Monday.  Thanks for the Daily @richwmn.  Tigers are cool, I haven't seen one in years, maybe San Diego Zoo in January.  I never had a butler but thanks for the fun memories of Mr. French @LambKnuckles.  We love chicken wings.   I look forward to photos of today's port.  Pass on all three comestibles but thanks @summer slope, @cat shepard and @dfish for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebration reports @JazzyV.  Prayers for Tana and Terry and also for Chuck and Annie as they soldier through illness and care giving.   Prayers for Jacqui, Terri, Bonnie, Ann and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  

We may go fishing today.  It doesn't cool off at night so the cabin keeps getting warmer.  We have at least a week of 80s and warm nights.  A good excuse to sit inside and watch the Olympics.  Have a good day!  Nancy 

Walleye caught Saturday turned into Sunday night dinner.  My tomatoes are ripening too! 

IMG_2994-1.jpg

IMG_20240728_155226447_HDR.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers

I thought the country code for Greece was HE (Greece, officially the Hellenic Republic, is a country in Southeast Europe. Located on the southern tip of the Balkan peninsula, Greece shares land borders) so having GR for Greenland made sense. Turns out that the country code for Greece is GR, and Greenland is GL so since the source of the information is AIS, which comes from the ship, someone on the ship did enter GRPPI in error and the port code GLPPI does not exist

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

@ottahand7  I started thinking, after I posted, maybe not everyone knows who Mr. French was...  On Family Affair, Sebastian Cabot played Mr. French...  a proper butler to a bachelor in NYC, keeping track of all his Master's girlfriends and dates...  then the master inherits three children after his brother's death.  And this proper English Butler has to learn how to manage children...

I found a photo               undefined

Also...  Your fish and 'maters looks yummy!!!  (I don't know what you called it, but it wasn't quite fish 'n chips, so I made up a name!)

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich and thanks to  the F & B team.

I will certainly celebrate tigers - they need to be protected.  I like the quote - I think it’s a sardonic comment on man.

Today, my goal is to try to get upstairs and clean and tidy up the book shelves more.  My printers don’t print since the internet was lost.  I have to re-program them.  Lord give me patience.  If I am going to do those 16 steps (yes I have counted them for the first time in 29 years) I have to make it worth my while and hope it doesn’t make the pain too much.

Vanessa @JazzyV I really appreciate you having me on the Care list but I think it has been too long now.  this is going to take time and all I can do is work on it.  Perhaps I should be moved to the rotation, now. Thank you so much for all you do for us.

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 33